i've heard about people boiling their string to make them sound like new, i was just wondering, doesit really make a difference? and is it worth itsothat yudont have to pay for new strings? also how do you go about do you just put them in a pan of water and bring it up to the boil?

EDIT: sorry for spelling my keyboard is on the fritz so to speak
Van Halen used to do that, but he did it to strech the strings before a gig. And after the gig he'd ge rid of the boiled strings, so I think that says something about the durability of boiled strings.

Short Version: I don't think it's worth it.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
It's a short term fix. Boil your strings and they'll sound fresher or one or two playing sessions, then die completely. I've heard dunking them in pure alcohol cleaner gives them a longer life than just boiling, because it simply strips the dirt out and doesn't leave residue like water, but I've never tried it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I still can't understand how people think putting metal in water is a good idea. Like, think hard about that. Also, heating metal up to a high point like that can really make it much harder, therefore more fragile. You'll break the strings much easier when you boil them.

Letting strings soak in denatured (don't be a jerk and use rubbing alcohol) works best since it's strongest and has no water. I'll refer you to tunemybass.com for that one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Im actually gunna boil some today. However, I heard the shrinkage makes it sound brighter. But this only lasts for about 2 weeks at most.

When I'm done, I'll tell you what happens.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Quote by Gmp211
Im actually gunna boil some today.

Don't do it unless you can afford a new set of strings within a couple of days.

Wait...
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Gmp211
Im actually gunna boil some today. However, I heard the shrinkage makes it sound brighter. But this only lasts for about 2 weeks at most.

When I'm done, I'll tell you what happens.

If you have uncoated strings that you play with any regularity that has the new string sound for 2 weeks, tell me what they are. Did you read my big post at all?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Nikki Sixx used to do it
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
he probably also used to do a lot of blow. doesn't make it a good idea :P
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by slashVR
Nikki Sixx used to do it

As good an incentive not to do it as any I could think of.
Quote by slashVR
Nikki Sixx used to do it

Thanks for the warning.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
just try it on a set of string that you were about to change anyways. boil them and put them back on to test it out. if it fails it wont matter because you were going to switch them anyways.
It was a regular thing when I was poor, 100 degrees centigrade will not alter the structure of the metal,
The secret is to dry them as soon as you take them out of the boiling water.
Now I'm rich I don't need to do it.
But yes it does work for a little while.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Why don't you try barbecuing the strings?

No, not really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by slashVR
Nikki Sixx used to do it

Nikki Sixx used to do heroin.

He also died twice in the same night from OD'ing on two seperate occasions.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
It works. Its a good temporary solution if you REALLY need it.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Like the others have said it brings life to your strings for about a week
Quote by thefitz
Why don't you try barbecuing the strings?

No, not really.

Man, i really gotta start readin posts as a whole, and not just one sentence at a time... ruined my low E, you bastard.
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
never boil your strings, buy a cleaning fluid instead...

ok,how to make a homemade string stew, tonight with martha stewart!
Works for one gig, then sounds terrible. Listen to everyone else, and only do it to strings you were gonna change anyway.

*edit* i cant spell
Quote by Slap n Thump
Man, i really gotta start readin posts as a whole, and not just one sentence at a time... ruined my low E, you bastard.

hahahahahaha
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Thanks for the warning.

I said that to let the threadstarter know thats possible to do, you ****s. Don't attack me ( or Nikki for that matter) because I wanted to help someone with information.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Quote by gravytrain34
I would recomend getting rid of the pot afterwards or just dont cook food in it

Why. do you know if anyone has died from using the same pot for cooking food afterwards?
When I had a young family and money was tight I certainly used the saucepans for cooking in after I had boiled my strings in them,(I did this several times), none of my four children suffered through it.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by slashVR
I said that to let the threadstarter know thats possible to do, you ****s. Don't attack me ( or Nikki for that matter) because I wanted to help someone with information.

And the posters above you that already made that perfectly clear... their posts were written in Chinese?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by John Swift
Why. do you know if anyone has died from using the same pot for cooking food afterwards?
When I had a young family and money was tight I certainly used the saucepans for cooking in after I had boiled my strings in them,(I did this several times), none of my four children suffered through it.

i've boiled my strings, and it works for a while. be sure to take them out while they are hot so all the water evaporates. as far as using the pan again. i never told my family i was doing it so , except for my sister, two headed Sally, i've seen no ill effects.
Quote by John Swift

Yeah. I'm eating Kraft Dinner out of a pan I just boiled strings in, and I'm doing completely *gak* *gak* *dies*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yeah. I'm eating Kraft Dinner out of a pan I just boiled strings in, and I'm doing completely *gak* *gak* *dies*

if someone should die while in the shelter, put them outside, but be sure to tag them for identification purposes.

buy new if you can.
boil if you can't.<not spam>
Quote by thefitz
And the posters above you that already made that perfectly clear... their posts were written in Chinese?

Go **** yourself?

I hate people like you, sarcastic ****.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Quote by slashVR
Go **** yourself?

I hate people like you, sarcastic ****.

Fitz can't win 'em all. Funny, the people that don't like me are very similar...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i boiled mine a few day ago they sound great now . i didn't now they will sound bad in a week or so after but i need to buy new ones anyway.
search before you post and all of you grow up.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!