15 23%
I don't know
0 0%
I don't care
17 26%
Voters: 65.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o&mode=related&search=

What do you think of this?

I think he illustrates what all christians believe in and pretty much states his opinion why he thinks its wrong.

I thought he put forward a good argument. Whats your thoughts on this?

EDIT: i didn't post in the religion thread because the topic usually gets side tracked and you cannot put a poll up there.
If it needs moved just tell me.
This guy's just a close-minded prick.

I hate people that're just cynical for the sake of it. Let people believe what they believe and STFU already.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'm 100% of the voting people atm I've seen alot of his religious videos, while they're funny I don't particularily care
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Yakult

I hate people that're just cynical for the sake of it. Let people believe what they believe and STFU already.

of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but he was stating his own and i think he made some valid points about religion.
It's a comedy show, not a debate. The point wasn't to argue how ridiculous religion is, but to make people laugh. He succeeded at both however.

Quote by Yakult

It's not like he tied people down and forced them to change their belief system.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
It's a comedy show, not a debate. The point wasn't to argue how ridiculous religion is, but to make people laugh. He succeeded at both however.

i suppose but it did seem like a rant.
Quote by Yakult

I hate people that're just cynical for the sake of it.

So you hate all comedians? It's pretty much their job description to be cynical for the sake of it.
Quote by Mad Marius

Whilst I agree that it's irrelevant because he was simply trying to make people laugh, if he were ranting about religion, his points were shallow and flawed, but I don't want to turn this into a religious debate. Besides, this will get closed anyway.

RELIGION THREAD.

EDIT: Besides, I've seen comedians slamming religion who actually made it funny. I didn't think Carlin was that funny in that video to be honest.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by SmarterChild
So you hate all comedians? It's pretty much their job description to be cynical for the sake of it.

Naa, I just think taking the piss out of religion is easy-laughs, like suckerpunching a little girl. Anyone can do it and it's not original. I'd rather laugh at someone with talent.

Quote by break-me-in
EDIT: Besides, I've seen comedians slamming religion who actually made it funny. I didn't think Carlin was that funny in that video to be honest.

Well said!

If you're going to take the piss at least be funny / original!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Naa, I just think taking the piss out of religion is easy-laughs, like suckerpunching a little girl. Anyone can do it and it's not original. I'd rather laugh at someone with talent.

He made me laugh, and I've heard all his points before. So, he's decent at his job. Not a Bill Bailey or Ross Noble, but not bad.

And really, taking the piss is hardly on a level with, say, starting a jihad because someone doesn't have the same beliefs as them. So, given a choice of a bit of humourous banter or having a jihad on my ass, I'll take him over the broad minded, accomodating and easy-going entity that is organised religion.
Quote by SmarterChild
And really, taking the piss is hardly on a level with, say, starting a jihad because someone doesn't have the same beliefs as them. So, given a choice of a bit of humourous banter or having a jihad on my ass, I'll take him over the broad minded, accomodating and easy-going entity that is organised religion.

Yeah, you're right. It's far better to start a war for oil than something you believe in. Those damn Muslims all want to kill us because we don't believe in Islam. Christians would never do a thing like that, thank God!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Anyone notice that at the very end he says "good night, god bless you"?
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
Quote by The Lunatic
Anyone notice that at the very end he says "good night, god bless you"?

"Joe Bless You".
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I think hes making good points and is funny at the same time, but its not funnier then his 7 words stand up.
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, you're right. It's far better to start a war for oil than something you believe in. Those damn Muslims all want to kill us because we don't believe in Islam. Christians would never do a thing like that, thank God!

Did I say I supported the Iraq war? Did I say I was directing my comments at Muslims? Did I say I was a Christian?

It's a no to all of those. I said 'organised religion'. Stunningly, that includes Christianity.

And believe me, all wars come down to land, power and money in the end. Religion is just an excuse that is apparently worth more than anything else. I would rather that people admitted it and said that their war was about oil or money, rather than calling it God's holy crusade.

And finally, why should we be allowed to make jokes about Hitler, but not religion? Religion should be just as vulnerable to comedy as anything else, no special treatment.
Last edited by SmarterChild at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by SmarterChild
Did I say I supported the Iraq war? Did I say I was directing my comments at Muslims? Did I say I was a Christian?

It's a no to all of those. I said 'organised religion'. Stunningly, that includes Christianity.

And believe me, all wars come down to land, power and money in the end. Religion is just an excuse that is apparently worth more than anything else. Why should we be allowed to make jokes about Hitler, but not religion? Religion should be just as vulnerable to comedy as anything else, no special treatment.

I'm so glad someone in this thread knows what they're talking about.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Ugh this is so pointless; if this is funny I'd hate to see sad/borring.

why should we be allowed to make jokes about Hitler, but not religion? Religion should be just as vulnerable to comedy as anything else, no
special treatment.

I don't know about you, but the Hitler jokes I've heard don't consist of childish semiproofs that it was all a conspiracy.
Quote by Yakult

Well said. He shouldn't turn people's beliefs into a comedy act.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by ameer

I don't know about you, but the Hitler jokes I've heard don't consist of childish semiproofs that it was all a conspiracy.

That's because they wouldn't be funny. However, some people find this funny. So why shouldn't he make the jokes?

Most religions criticise, insult and make jokes about other religions and atheism. So why should they be invulnerable when the tables are turned? They shouldn't.

Giving religions preference is stupid. Giving preference for blonde people over ginger people would be stupid and be classed as discrimination. So why should you give Christians preference and freedom from jokes when atheists or Hindus or Jews don't have preference in England or America? You shouldn't. Christianity, atheism, Islam and any other belief system should be just as vulnerable to criticism as my belief that England suck at football.
Quote by SmarterChild

Giving religions preference is stupid. Giving preference for blonde people over ginger people would be stupid and be classed as discrimination. So why should you give Christians preference and freedom from jokes when atheists or Hindus or Jews don't have preference in England or America? You shouldn't. Christianity, atheism, Islam and any other belief system should be just as vulnerable to criticism as my belief that England suck at football.

You christians can quit being so uptheassey every time someone makes religious jokes. Oh noes, Carlin has such a weak argument. It's not an argument you tools, it's a comedy act, humor. A concept that some of you who find all those obnoxious memes funny may not be familiar with.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Yakult

Didn't bother watching it, but, assuming he's not one of those fanatical atheists, I think religion can be questioned, especially where religious ideas are still used to justify/make laws that govern people not of that faith.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by Mad Marius

You christians can quit being so uptheassey every time someone makes religious jokes. Oh noes, Carlin has such a weak argument. It's not an argument you tools, it's a comedy act, humor. A concept that some of you who find all those obnoxious memes funny may not be familiar with.

Oh, STFU and stop being a pretentious dick.

It's not necessary..
Mandatory gear list
Ibanez S470
Vox AD30VT
Vox V847

"There are people that I know won't hurt me. I call those people corpses."
Quote by Elegance_01
Oh, STFU and stop being a pretentious dick.

It's not necessary..

No.

Fair enough..
Mandatory gear list
Ibanez S470
Vox AD30VT
Vox V847

"There are people that I know won't hurt me. I call those people corpses."
^ lmao! that was awesome.

edit: Btw i am very religous and I still find George Carlin funny because I take what he says for what it really is, a joke. Thats what comedians do, they tell jokes.
Quote by SmarterChild

I agree, but I just get annoyed at atheists / agnostics that think they're so much better than people who claim to follow a religion because they're "not robots" (to quote Carlin) whereas, in fact, they're just as narrow-minded. Most people who shun religion have taken a look at Christianity, for example, and decided it's bollocks because there's holes in it and then decided that everyone who follows it is an idiot.

Maybe if these people took a deeper look at religion, and the good it does then they'd be more accepting. Don't tell me "religion does more harm than good!!11" because you've already said:

Quote by SmarterChild
And believe me, all wars come down to land, power and money in the end. Religion is just an excuse that is apparently worth more than anything else

Therefore, by your own logic, religion is nothing but a force for good.

I'm not saying that religions are all correct (because by definition alone that can't be true), I'm just saying that people who openly don't believe anything need to get off their moral high horses.

Anyway, George Carlin: regardless of his subject matter, he just wasn't that funny imo
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
I agree, but I just get annoyed at atheists / agnostics that think they're so much better than people who claim to follow a religion because they're "not robots" (to quote Carlin) whereas, in fact, they're just as narrow-minded. Most people who shun religion have taken a look at Christianity, for example, and decided it's bollocks because there's holes in it and then decided that everyone who follows it is an idiot.

I'm speaking for myself here, but I'm not narrow-minded, I can accept the faint possibility of a God. If God came down and gave humanity some proof, then I'd bloody well believe, because there would be evidence. However, without evidence, it's like being asked to believe that 2+2=5.

And the question of being better than them, thinking that is just as narrow minded as thinking religion is above criticism. I think they're wrong, but not that I'm any better because of my view. Some people might, but then they're idiots too. But even then, it doesn't mean people should tiptoe around other people's beliefs to show how equal everyone is.

No. Religion is a force for good where people stick to it, don't harm anyone and do good, like religion says. But I could do that anyway. Religion in its purest form would be good, but it's messed up and interpreted wrongly by preachers and believers.
I agree, religion could be a force for good, but so would people simply acting altruistically with no thought of God. People will be good or bad without religion. I don't think religion has enough of an influence to make that many people good. Otherwise there wouldn't be religious war or people who murder because they're so pro-life about abortion, they have to kill someone to make their point.

Anyway, George Carlin: regardless of his subject matter, he just wasn't that funny imo

Good, that's the only reason for not liking it. Fine if people didn't find it funny but saying that his subject matter is above humour is pretentious.
Quote by Yakult

Maybe if these people took a deeper look at religion, and the good it does then they'd be more accepting. Don't tell me "religion does more harm than good!!11" because you've already said:

I'm not saying that religions are all correct (because by definition alone that can't be true), I'm just saying that people who openly don't believe anything need to get off their moral high horses.

I was made to go to church for 10 years. I just don't base my thoughts on christianity on the fact that oh there is no god or oh that looks stupid.

I don't believe in anything because i don't find it believable also the fact i do not really care what happens when you die because guess what? Your dead! thats the end of it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so don't tell anyone to get off their "high horse". If you want to get sucked into it i don't care, its none of my business.
Quote by SmarterChild
I'm speaking for myself here, but I'm not narrow-minded, I can accept the faint possibility of a God. If God came down and gave humanity some proof, then I'd bloody well believe, because there would be evidence. However, without evidence, it's like being asked to believe that 2+2=5.

*insert inevitable preachy "Jesus is proof" rant*

Quote by Smarterchild
No. Religion is a force for good where people stick to it, don't harm anyone and do good, like religion says. But I could do that anyway. Religion in its purest form would be good, but it's messed up and interpreted wrongly by preachers and believers.
I agree, religion could be a force for good, but so would people simply acting altruistically with no thought of God. People will be good or bad without religion. I don't think religion has enough of an influence to make that many people good. Otherwise there wouldn't be religious war or people who murder because they're so pro-life about abortion, they have to kill someone to make their point.

Not necessarily true. Some people cannot be influenced by religion enough to be good or bad, but some people are bad then converted and suddenly find they are motivated to do good. Other point: Plenty of extremists would probably find another reason to kill people anyway if religion didn't exist.

Quote by Smarterchild

Good, that's the only reason for not liking it. Fine if people didn't find it funny but saying that his subject matter is above humour is pretentious.

I thought it was ****. I've seen comedians do funny "religion/skepticism" acts, and this was not one. It was just Carlin raving about how Christians are idiots.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by SmarterChild

I never said it was above humour Fair enough my first post may have come across as that, but my second summed my opinion up better.

Quote by break-me-in
Not necessarily true. Some people cannot be influenced by religion enough to be good or bad, but some people are bad then converted and suddenly find they are motivated to do good. Other point: Plenty of extremists would probably find another reason to kill people anyway if religion didn't exist.

Good point
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
He's not really denouncing believing in God, hes denouncing the specific radical Christian sect. I believe believing in God can be a great thing, but I agree with alot of his points about radical Christianity.
Quote by break-me-in

Some people are converted and want to do good, but that usually means that subconsciously, the desire for good was there anyway.

And I know that extremists would do bad anyway. That just shows how religion itself is immaterial, it's whether the person's an arsehole or not that matters.

I thought it was ****. I've seen comedians do funny "religion/skepticism" acts, and this was not one. It was just Carlin raving about how Christians are idiots.

I thought it was slightly funny, but only because I thought those arguments were funny anyway. His delivery was from the annoying, shouty, ranting school of comedy and not so good.

Bill Bailey's stuff on religion, like the '3 spirits go into a God' version of a bar joke or the car insurance that doesn't cover 'acts of God' is completely amazing though.

Quote by Yakult

I never said it was above humour Fair enough my first post may have come across as that, but my second summed my opinion up better.

No, but some people would, which is who my post was aimed at.
Last edited by SmarterChild at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by SmarterChild

I thought it was slightly funny, but only because I thought those arguments were funny anyway. His delivery was from the annoying, shouty, ranting school of comedy and not so good.

Bill Bailey's stuff on religion, like the '3 spirits go into a God' version of a bar joke or the car insurance that doesn't cover 'acts of God' is completely amazing though.

Yeah Bailey is much better. Dylan Moran did a good bit on religion in "Monster". And the "acts of God" thing reminds me of Billy Connolly in "The Man Who Sued God".
I only laughed once at Carlin though.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by str84ever
I think he illustrates what all christians believe in and pretty much states his opinion why he thinks its wrong.
Unfortunately that statement is false, nor is it possible to display the theological views of all Christians accurately in a matter of a 10 minute comedy sketch.
Quote by Yakult

No, he's cynical because it's really, really funny. I don't suppose you have a link to you doing 10 solid minutes of good standup?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
some of the jokes about christianity are a bit funny to me, but I don't think he should have ridiculed it like that. And I don't think he should have brought God into it, cuz I belive in God and I believe that it's just the leaders in the church that are making up the bull**** in the actual true stories. I think he shouldn't have talked about religion cuz this is a tough subject and after all the evidence of both sides is gone through, it all comes down to you're belief, you make the decision on what you want to believe and because of that, you can't judge anyone for making a certain decision in what they want to believe cuz anyone can believe in anything. So rlly, only a rlly closeminded person can come to the conclusions that he says.