It's called the fanned fret system or something, by a company called Novax.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
its something to do with making it easier to play. see it a lot on guitars with more strings than usual
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
yeah i wondered the same. is it because of 8 strings and the fact that it has so many frets, that the tuning wouldnt be right if it were all straight?
on this subject, anyone see last monthsguitar world with satch and vai on the cover? steve vais JEM has funky stuff going on with some frets. the wires are like bent funny in certain places, he says its so its perfectly in tune. interesting concept. funny looking guitar.
i guess its all to do with the intonation and stuff like that, plus it looks awesome
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
i guess its all to do with the intonation and stuff like that, plus it looks awesome

Indeed
Quote by guitarded420
yeah i wondered the same. is it because of 8 strings and the fact that it has so many frets, that the tuning wouldnt be right if it were all straight?
on this subject, anyone see last monthsguitar world with satch and vai on the cover? steve vais JEM has funky stuff going on with some frets. the wires are like bent funny in certain places, he says its so its perfectly in tune. interesting concept. funny looking guitar.

I made a thread about those necks a few weeks back. apparently they're made so that every fret is perfectly in tune.

I'll get a link

EDIT:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645701

and http://www.truetemperament.com/
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Steve vai recently adopted the fanned system on his guitars, not to such an extreme, but to make sure that the guitar has triads in tune all over the neck.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
Steve vai recently adopted the fanned system on his guitars, not to such an extreme, but to make sure that the guitar has triads in tune all over the neck.

To my knowledge, that's yet another different system, not the fanned fret system.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
What the fanned fret system does is changes the scale length for different strings, therefore changing the string tension and making it easier to play. What vai's guitar has is the frets filed to a crown in slightly different places along the fret.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
It's a true temperament neck. I gave the link in my previous post.

I'd like to try a fanned fret guitar but they're not that common.

at least not around here.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Next one I'm building is gonna be a fanned-fret seven string.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Axegrinder#9
if you wanna hear someone doing something cool with an 8 string guitar - listen to Charlie Hunter.

For sure.

Click.
meshuggah use eight strings. I like their stuff quite a bit. Fredrik Thordendal is a very cool player IMHO.
I have his solo album and i have to say it is pretty mindblowing. He sounds like a darker more metal Holdsworth at times which is cool with me. What stuff have you heard by them. maybe i could give you a recommendation.
Not all 8 strings need that fanned neck. Check out the new Ibanez 8 string, it has straight frets. And the guitar that he's playing in the video is a custom Conklin guitar.
Charlie Griffiths plays 8-strings in Anchorhead.

****ing incredibly brootal stuff.
Thanks for the Anchorhead recommendation. It is definately awesome with all the starwars stuff.

Also, Dino Cazares of the newly formed Divine Heresy uses Ibanez eight strings on their album Bleed the Fifth. I don't really like them (the singer sucks), but I thought i would mention them since this is a eight string thread. he has some cool riffs every once in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJ5ZXVqCzU