Page 1 of 2
I am looking to get a bass to learn on. I hope to learn to play all types of music. But right now I just want to get beginner bass and see if it sticks. I am looking at the

Epiphone Thunderbird IV $299

ESP f104 $299

Peavey Millenniun ac 4 $299

or Yamaha bb414 $399

of the 4 how do they compare? What is the best buy? How would you rank the 4? Thanks
thunderbird.
or get a fender jazzbass 5string USA^^
I love it
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
The Fender is out of my price range. If I stick with the bass someday I will spend more for the next level.
Try a rockbass streamer. you can get one of those.
yamaha, not just because of the price.. but they make some fine basses 2...
epiphone.. heard sometings about the thunderbird, but i think its all about stile.
peavey is nice..
ESP.. no idea never played one.
but try rockbass.
AbsentMind
Anything but the Thunderbird. Absolute travesty of a bass. Toneless and muddy, uncomfortable to play and neck heavy.

ESP make cartoon basses for spotty teenage Slayer fans.

The Peavey is a good starter bass, and Yamaha make great basses in your price range. I'd prefer the Yamaha out of all of these, but the Peavey is good, despite being built out of questionable wood. Other two are forgettable.

Also consider looking at new Squier Vintage Modified P or J's, new or used Fender Standard P's or J's... there are plenty of good ones.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Never ever get an Epiphone bass, even if the choice is an Epiphone or nothing. They sound like feces. I would prolly go with the Yamaha, they make some pretty good stuff. I would also go check out some Squiers or go try to find some used gear.
I'll bet half the people hear have never even tried a T-Bird, and are just following the crowd. -_-

It's a fine bass once you get rid of the balance (drill a new hole for the strap button on the heel of the neck). The tone however, is a matter of taste. Some people love it, some people would rather kill themselves. BE SURE you try it out before buying.

ESP basses are nice, kinda flashy, but built tough and very metal. Not so much versitality. It's also got a 35" scale, so the E is nice and tight.

The Milleniums are all great cheap basses. They can play a lot of styles with the right amp settings. Probably your safest bet if you want to do 'all types of music'.

I don't have any real experience with Yamahas, but I've heard good things about them.
The idiots saying Thunderbird are setting you up for a horrible Bass. I think a Peavey would cut the cake just nice.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Quote by CurbstompBass
I'll bet half the people hear have never even tried a T-Bird, and are just following the crowd. -_-

Actually, I bet half of them haven't even tried a Thunderbird, but are smart enough to listen to the ones who have. They are atrocious. If you want a heavy low end, which is the ONLY reason people with functioning middle ears consider T-Birds, there are plenty of basses that can give it to you without feeling and sounding like utter shit.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by Caustic
Actually, I bet half of them haven't even tried a Thunderbird, but are smart enough to listen to the ones who have. They are atrocious. If you want a heavy low end, which is the ONLY reason people with functioning middle ears consider T-Birds, there are plenty of basses that can give it to you without feeling and sounding like utter shit.

Eh, opinions. Each to his own. I'd just like to see people give it a chance instead of just following the crowd.

And I've also noticed among bass communities (like TalkBass), UG has a way bigger T-Bird hate. >_>
Quote by Caustic
Anything but the Thunderbird. Absolute travesty of a bass. Toneless and muddy, uncomfortable to play and neck heavy.

ESP make cartoon basses for spotty teenage Slayer fans.

The Peavey is a good starter bass, and Yamaha make great basses in your price range. I'd prefer the Yamaha out of all of these, but the Peavey is good, despite being built out of questionable wood. Other two are forgettable.

Also consider looking at new Squier Vintage Modified P or J's, new or used Fender Standard P's or J's... there are plenty of good ones.

+1, well said

Except maybe the ESP comment, but I'd go with the peavey.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Captain Insano
I'm sure a Gibson Thunderbird is fine. An Epiphone Thunderbird is garbage.

Even with Gibson, there's lots of debate. Because while it may be substantially better than the Epiphone... it is still vastly sub par in build quality, features and tone compared to other basses in it's (rather high) price range.
i didn't think the feel of the t-bird was that bad, i actually kind of liked it ( although i hated the plastic-y neck) but i do agree that the tone is horrible and theres little to no control of it, so overall it would be a bad choice

check out ibanez while you're at it the GSRs aren't that bad
I have another bass to suggest. An Ibanez. It may have just been mine, but slapping on it was kinda tough, which resulted in my slapping becoming faster on better basses.

As for a GIBSON T-bird, it is pointless to get one because for that price you can get a MIA Jazz/P, a Warwick, or various other superior instruments.
IndianRockStar I am looking at the Epi t-bird not the Gibson.

I like the Yamaha the most but it cost the most. I can get the T-bird with no payments for a year at GC. But a lot of people tell me to stay away from that one. So the peavey is looking good right now. Thanks for all your help. Please keep the opinions coming
Out of those 4

Yamaha
ESP
Peavey
Epiphone

The Yamaha is a tad pricier, so you can probably expect a tad jump in quality.

ESP Basses have always impressed me. If the market on used Fenders wasn't so overly flooded, I'd probably be playing an EC 254 right now. Regardless, I've played that 3/4 basses (I have not played that Yamaha, I am just making an assumption), and of the three $299 basses, the ESP LTD is the best choice, I believe.

If you're going to have that extra amount of money around, I'd keep it. I always like to have a small stash of cash so that if I need an unexpected repair to my bass, I can afford to get it fixed.

My .02
Used Ibanez SR800. MIJ quality, active eq, great pickups, superfast neck. I've seen them go as low as 250.
i bought the peavey mill. 4 bxp, the one without active electronics.

i loved that bass to bits. like the other guy said, its a great all around bass. the ac is all that much better. however be warned any active bass is deprived of its natural passive tone, and trades it off for a greater variety, but somewhat generic tones.

however the best idea is to try those basses, and have an idea what sound ur looking for and see which comes closest.
For one. I love me Epiphone EB-0 reissues. I plan to get one and put new picups in it and recroun the frets (because I am a CHEAP DIYer!)

For two, if you are just starting, do you have a BASS GUITAR AMP? not a GUITAR amp, a BASS GUITAR AMP.

If not, then mind if I recommend these fine choices?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-T14G-N*-Bass-Guitar-Pack?sku=515439

Or if you want to save that pretty penny
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SVTSSLB11PAK
Ahh, whell that Silvertone is a seriously awesome bass for the price! The pickups are mediocre and teh wiring needs some work but the body and the neck are FANTASTIC! If you can find the revolver by itself.

I'd suggest the Rouge Pro Series though!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX400-Pro-4String-Electric-Bass?sku=519276
Quote by BlueShox
Support this theory?

They make their basses out of cheap material that is vastly sub-par to their competitors and they are clearly focused on recreating the look of their higher end basses as opposed to providing a quality instrument.
Mahogany and swamp ash are such terrible materials?

Agathis is used in their lower level guitars, but most entry level instruments are. As far as quality goes, they're right on par with the rest of the music industry.

I don't understand what you mean by "recreating the look of their high end basses". Some of their designs are a little too "over-the-top-gothic", but that doesn't mean that they don't make quality instruments, because they do.

Have you ever owned an LTD or an ESP?
i got a friend who payed almost 900 euros for a new LTD.
i still feel bad for him.
AbsentMind
Quote by antnalx
I am looking to get a bass to learn on. I hope to learn to play all types of music. But right now I just want to get beginner bass and see if it sticks. I am looking at the

Epiphone Thunderbird IV $299

ESP f104 $299

Peavey Millenniun ac 4 $299

or Yamaha bb414 $399

of the 4 how do they compare? What is the best buy? How would you rank the 4? Thanks

Eliminate any Bass that does'nt balance, ie Epiphone EB0 EB3 (neckdive), your technique will suffer due to supporting the neck whilst playing.
If you do expect to trade up look for a bass that will hold its price ie Fender
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by BlueShox
Mahogany and swamp ash are such terrible materials?

Agathis is used in their lower level guitars, but most entry level instruments are. As far as quality goes, they're right on par with the rest of the music industry.

I don't understand what you mean by "recreating the look of their high end basses". Some of their designs are a little too "over-the-top-gothic", but that doesn't mean that they don't make quality instruments, because they do.

Have you ever owned an LTD or an ESP?

yes i have owned an ltd and i really regret ever buying it
I cant really comment on the peavey or the yamaha because I havent played either, but I will comment on the T-Bird and the ESP debate.

First, the Thunderbird is a nightmare. My old bass player had one and it just doesnt sit right. Its over-balanced in much the same way Flying V's are. This means you have to hold it up and play. Which is harder than it sounds.

ESP - I bought an ESP LTD as my first bass, and I really liked it. They are kinda spiky and "metal" and seem to be set up for playing heavier music. When I played guitar I bought a couple of LTD's and wont part with them as I love these instruments. When I switched to bass, I started with a B-154 and just bought myself an LTD 5 string to go with it.

In my opinion LTD's are quality affordale instruments.
Out of the 4 for the 299 sticker, I've had more experience with a Peavey bass and they are REALLY easy to play. I'd recommend them over the other guys. I don't know why you don't consider an Ibanez BTB 4 string for $329 though.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
The BTB looks good. Did not see that one before. Is this a new guitar on the market?
Quote by antnalx
The BTB looks good. Did not see that one before. Is this a new guitar on the market?

No, they've had it around for a couple of years I think. My BTB455 was my first bass and I still play it at every show. Warm sound with the active pu's and a bunch of tone controls. Get over to a Guitar center or whatever and play a few licks on it for yourself.

Side note: I saw Headbanger's Ball last night and in Dino Cazares' new band Divine Heresy, the bass player plays a 6 string BTB. I thought that was awesome, I thought all metal Ibanez bassists used the soundgears.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
be sure to check out the Schecter Stiletto basses..... they go on musicians friend from 300-500.....they are awesomeeeeeeeeee.........

but what kinda tone do you want?
r u really thinking about getting ne thing other than the t bird?!?!!?!?!? its like the second most famous bass in the world, behind the musicman stingray i would go for the thunderbird man
What are you talking about? There are like, 3 people who use a Thunderbird and have any kind of credibility. I can't name any of them but I'm sure they exist. Also, just because it's famous doesn't doesn't mean it's good. Especially not in the case of an Epiphone Thunderbird. They suck. End of. I'm guessing you play a Firebird guitar and assume the Thunderbird bass is great because it has the same shape. WRONG.
Page 1 of 2