what do you guys think about a band having two bassists?
and are there any already in existence?
"witty closing remarks have been replaced with severe head trauma and massive hemorrhaging"
you could do some really sweet ****. try like a fretless with a drop tuned. bass harmony!
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
Spinal Tap had 3, I guess.

A lot of old Jazz bands had a standup bassist and an electric bassist.

Mike Watt and... some other chick have a band called Dos that's just a singer and 2 bass players. They sound even worse than the whole concept. I'm all for experimental music, but... wait, actually, I'm not for experimental music at all. Apparently it's a bit too avante-garde for me and I like my synth beats.

Long story short, it's been done, but you either run the risk of sounding like crap and making thefitz want to quit playing (like Dos) or you could do something very interesting. However, the interesting things require either a lot of theory knowledge or a big friggin imagination. I'm willing to say 2 people playing the same line will have less definition than just the 1 person. But then again, there's songs like Hejira, Big Bottom and Take A Walk On the Wild Side. That last song is 2 chords and it uses 2 basses, but the concept behind the dual bass line is friggin brilliant. Basically, slide downwards and then upwards on an upright using root notes, and slide upwards and then downwards at the same time using the 10th (and I guess the 18th?) on a fretless electric. Batty.

I don't know you or how you play, but bottom line, if you play simple things that aren't incredibly well thought out, if you have a lot of people in your bands, or are a root note thumper, it won't work.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
metallica used to do it alot when they had cliff burton and dream theater do it, it works sometimes but you have to get it right otherwise it sounds like ****
I don't recall Dream Theater ever having two bassists. I know Petrucci also plays bass, but I don't think he's ever done it in studio
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
A lot of new dance-rock/alt bands like CSS and LCD soundsystem have two bassists.
If you like Incubus, Earth to Bella on Light Grenades has two basses on it. Like they said, it can either be really really good or really really bad.
Quote by thefitz
Mike Watt and... some other chick have a band called Dos

Kira Rossler, exbassist for Black Flag. (also Watt's ex-wife lol!)
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Quote by Lobsterdeth

Do they have kids? If so, I bet they're the strangest, quirkiest, and most neurotic bass players in the world.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
My church band had two bassist. Till the one quit, then I kinda quit a little while after that, and the other one came back, then the other church band I was in had two bassist. then well, I quit again after about 3 weeks, it kinda sucked really bad. So now my Funkadelic five has two bassist, because it's kinda the lead instrument in there.
Quote by beefofjesusbass
metallica used to do it alot when they had cliff burton and dream theater do it, it works sometimes but you have to get it right otherwise it sounds like ****

The main Metallica songs I can think of that use 2 bass lines are Orion, The Call of Ktulu, and For Whom the Bell Tolls, which others were there?
Quote by Lobsterdeth

Dos 0wnz

They always sounded great to me

I think the only way a 2 bass band would work long term is if one played lead bass and one rhythm. Otherwise the low end would get too muddy for my taste. People cant distinguish bass as well as we would like to.
Well, if you had one bassist stick to the traditional bass role, and the other went higher up on the neck, it may work. Basically, have one bassist on bass level, the other bassist on mids, and the guitarist on highs?
You could have one rhythm and one lead bassist, forget the guitars, or is that too avant-garde?
James Brown did it for a while after Bootsy left apparenently.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by fortysix&2
You could have one rhythm and one lead bassist, forget the guitars, or is that too avant-garde?

It's too avant-garde for you, forget it. Your mind would blow up if you tried to understand it.
Well in my opinion you couldnt do much with two bassists that you couldnt just do with one really good one but im going to use this thread to make a point.

Jam Sessions (when like 15 people get up there) at festivals are one of my favorite things in the world. But i cant take it when the bassists keep switching instead of just using more than one bassist. If there can be 8 guitars and 4 drummers why cant there be two bassist. So never be a part of one of those.
Quote by Captain Insano
uh, Spinal Tap?

Spinal Tap does not have more than one bassist. For one song they used three basses. The rest of the stuff has one bass on it.
Dianogah
So, goin’ down the Amazon in a light green ’57 Chevy, uh. Well, you think that’s, um, kind of heavy?
The group I'm working with currently has three guitar players, two keyboard players, to bassists and a drummer. It's sectioned off: left and right, with the third guitar player taking the "center" in front of the drums in the mix.

We're trying it, anyway. It might not work. Multi-part harmonies and arpeggios are fun and interesting, but can also turn into nothing but noise very quickly.

Just sayin'.
Quote by fortysix&2

Check out Stanley Clarke's album East River Drive. Last two tracks, "Lords of the Low End" and "Illegal", are largely Sir Stan, and Armand Sabal-Lecco doing pretty much just that. Especially the call-and-answer section towards the end of "Illegal". Sabal-Lecco gives the bottom end plenty of tight percussive slap while Stan pops little two string interval stabs up top. It gives way to them basically becoming a four handed bass machine, with some tasty chord work.
Or there's the Ned's Atomic Dustbin approach! Thx for the reminder of NAD whoever said that, I was thinking it was PWEI had 2 bassists...duh. Mis-spent youth in indie clubs to blame...
Paul Simon used 2 basses on the album Graceland. Search YouTube for 'You Can Call Me All' there's one version where you can see them both playing.
I would look it up for you, but it's 2.16 AM and I need some sleep
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
The bassist from Acid Bath started a side project with two bassist called Shrum. was very \m/
I play in a bass trio, and I know this might seem arrogant, but it sounds amazing! The more basses the better (within reason).

CSS have 2 bassists, but then again you did say "band" and one of those doesnt really play much...
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I love the way Dos sounds, but I wouldn't recommend it too often. I suppose if you had one bass playing higher lines and another playing lower ones (al a Dos) it would be fine, but it really just depends on what other instruments are being played, you don't want to over crowd a song.

Also I was thinking about maybe layering a bass with some decent effects (something like death from above 1979) and still having the lower, clean bass to back it, but with no guitar. Just an idea floating around I may try.

All for expirimenting in music, but sometimes it just doesnt work lol If it works for you though, I would love to hear it.
Pink Floyd did it on "One of These Days". That was pretty cool.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
My old death metal band had two bassists, I played lead bass and the vocalist played rhythm bass. They're still going now, I quit a while ago.