What does it mean when someone describes a scale as Mixolydian b5, or Lydian b7?

I know that Mixolydian and Lydian are different modes, but what do the symbols for flatted 5ths and 7ths mean afterwards? Does it mean that you play it in the flat 5 or 7 position (4 or 6?) or does it just mean you flat the 5th or 7th notes of that scale?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I would think it means flatten the 5th or 7th note of that certain scale.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by Galvanise69
How on earth do you get modes of the melodic minor, i thought the melodic minor was a mode...

you may be thinking of the natural minor, which is actually called the aeolian mode, based from the 6th degree of the major scale.

aeolian - R, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7

melodic minor - has a natural 6th and 7th

harmonic minor - has a natural 7th
To answer the TS's question, yes, that means Mixolydian with a flatted fifth, and Lydian with a flatted seventh.
Quote by I floss daily
To answer the TS's question, yes, that means Mixolydian with a flatted fifth, and Lydian with a flatted seventh.

Mixolydian has a flatted 7th while Lydian has an Augmented 4th.
Quote by Vittu0666
Mixolydian has a flatted 7th while Lydian has an Augmented 4th.

Yes, but he's talking about two different scales (actually modes of melodic minor):

Mixolydian b5: 1 2 3 4 b5 6 b7
Lydian b7: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 b7

Difference is in 4s and 5s.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I thought that melodic and harmonic minor were both modes of the major scale like Aeolian or Locrian...?

Are they entirely different? As in, are harmonic minor and melodic minor and major and minor in the same category?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by Instrumetal
I thought that melodic and harmonic minor were both modes of the major scale like Aeolian or Locrian...?

Are they entirely different? As in, are harmonic minor and melodic minor and major and minor in the same category?

@JohnlJones My bad, I was rushing it a lil' bit.

Major modes:

1 Ionian
2 Dorian
3 Phyrgian
4 Lydian
5 Mixolydian
6 Aeolian
7 Locrian

Harmonic minor modes:

1 Harmonic Minor
2 Locrian #6
3 Harmonic Major
4 Spanish Phyrgian
5 Double Harmonic Major
6 Lydian b3
7 Diminished

Melodic minor modes:

1 Melodic Minor
2 Dorian b2
3 Lydian #5
4 Lydian Dominant
5 Mixolydian b6
6 Aeolian b5
7 Altered

Major, harmonic minor and melodic minor scales are separate scales:

Major:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Harmonic minor:
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

Melodic minor:

Ascending 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Descending: b7 b6 5 4 b3 2 1
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Darthie... just a coupla things.

Harmonic major: The third of mode of harmonic minor is not harmonic major, it's Ionian #5 (Ionian augmented). There is a big difference between harmonic major and the third mode of harmonic minor.

3rd mode of harmonic minor: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - #5 - 6 - 7.
Harmonic major: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.

Notice the third mode of harmonic minor has an augmented fifth and a major sixth, harmonic major has a perfect fifth and a minor sixth.

Double harmonic major: This is not the fifth mode of harmonic minor. We call this phrygian dominant.

5th mode of harmonic minor: 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7
Double harmonic major: 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.

Double harmonic major has a minor second, minor sixth and major seventh, phrygian dominant differs because it has a minor seventh.

Lydian b3: This name is misleading. The scale does not contain a minor third - it has a major third and an augmented second. Calling it Lydian b3 implies it is a minor scale to be played over m7#11 chords, it isn't. We call it Lydian #2.

Lydian #2: 1 - #2 - 3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - 7

I have never heard the 4th mode of harmonic minor called Spanish Phrygian.. it's normally called Dorian #4. How does 1 - 2 - b3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - b7 mimic the Phrygian mode?

Sorry if it seems like on picking on your posts at all. I assure you I don't mean it too come across that way.
I have never heard the 4th mode of harmonic minor called Spanish Phrygian.. it's normally called Dorian #4. How does 1 - 2 - b3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - b7 mimic the Phrygian mode?

i think he means it as a spanish sounding scale, as it sounds fairly similar to the phrygian, you're knowledge of this seems better than mine so i think i'll leave it at that.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Darthie... just a coupla things.

Harmonic major: The third of mode of harmonic minor is not harmonic major, it's Ionian #5 (Ionian augmented). There is a big difference between harmonic major and the third mode of harmonic minor.

3rd mode of harmonic minor: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - #5 - 6 - 7.
Harmonic major: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.

Notice the third mode of harmonic minor has an augmented fifth and a major sixth, harmonic major has a perfect fifth and a minor sixth.

Double harmonic major: This is not the fifth mode of harmonic minor. We call this phrygian dominant.

5th mode of harmonic minor: 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7

Double harmonic major: 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.

Double harmonic major has a minor second, minor sixth and major seventh, phrygian dominant differs because it has a minor seventh.

Lydian b3: This name is misleading. The scale does not contain a minor third - it has a major third and an augmented second. Calling it Lydian b3 implies it is a minor scale to be played over m7#11 chords, it isn't. We call it Lydian #2.

Lydian #2: 1 - #2 - 3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - 7

Sorry if it seems like on picking on your posts at all. I assure you I don't mean it too come across that way.

I'm not angry. Maybe just learning from wrong sites, so can you recommend me some right sources. Possibly with all information, formulas, chord progressions, typical chords etc.
I didn't find any of it on UG.

Everyone who was on MT more than a few times know that you are the guy who knows his theory best around here, so show me some sites now and write a lesson(s) for after.

K?

EDIT:

For Melodic Minor http://www.jazzguitar.be/melodic_minor_modes.html.
I learned it from there and you didn't correct me for melodic minor, i think this is OK.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Last edited by DarTHie at Sep 13, 2007,
Quote by Johnljones7443
^Your melodic minor modes were okay.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26618 - This thread has the names & formulas of all the melodic minor and harmonic modes, and Cas also goes into detail about what chords we play them over.

Thank you.
But seriously, you guys should write some lessons, just to evade this.
Although, modes of harmonic & melodic minor aren't really in frequently asked questions, but just in case.

Maybe I write it when I learn it.

EDIT:

Wow, this thread you recommended me is 4 years and almost 8 months old.
Like reading through the old archives.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Last edited by DarTHie at Sep 13, 2007,
Quote by Fenderboy-'06
i think he means it as a spanish sounding scale, as it sounds fairly similar to the phrygian, you're knowledge of this seems better than mine so i think i'll leave it at that.

Spanish Phrygian is a Phrygian with a raised third.

I think.
Get baked, study theory.