I'm just gonna throw some stuff out there and tell me what you think.

1.) Take a single coil style pickup with 6 pole pieces, except reverse the polarity of every other pole piece. This idea would probably give you a pickup rich in harmonics, since alot of the fundamentals would cancel out to a small extent. If you wanted it to be even more harmonicky, connect all 6 polepieces with a blade. Or, make like 20 pole pieces (they would correlate to their own strings any more) and connect those with a blade. The pickup would sort of be out of phase with itself! If it was killing too much of the signal, you could change the impedances of the different poles so that they weren't matched properly.

2.) Here's an idea for a hum-canceling single coil that actually sounds like a single coil. Take your six pole pieces and leave them polarized all the same, but wrap each pole individually, but reverse. So it'd be like RW, but not RP. You would of course link each pole up in series.

3.) Another idea for a hum-canceling single coil. Make a single coil with a RW dummy coil (that's already been done), but wrap the dummy coil around the original coil. It may need to be a higher impedance since it's further from the magnets, and some creative testing would have to be done to match everything up, but I think it'd work.

4.) Yet another hum-cancelling single coil. Thinking about optimizing idea 3, I came up with this. Think about #3, it's 2 separate coils, one reverse wound. So you make one full coil, and link it to another full coil. How about though, if you wrapped a few turns around the magnets, and then reversed directions and wrapped a few turns the other way. So you don't have 2 separate coils, you have hundereds of small coils all wrapped right next to eachother. I have no idea if this would work, but give me your thoughts.

4.5) A humbucker Idea. Right now, most every humbucker is like 2 single coils right next to eachother. What if you set up your magnets for the hb unwound, and then wound them in a figure 8 fashion, so that one side gets a coil, then the other side gets a coil, then back and forth. There'd be no 4-lead version of this pickup obviously, but that's the only down side I see.

5.) Combine Ideas one and 2 for alternating RWRP pole pieces.

6.) Combine any number of the above ideas, but put them into a humbucker configuration with 2 pickups side by side. IE, make a pickup #1, and a pickup #2 and put them next to eachother in series. The possibilities are endless.

If someone has the means to do this, I'd by em! Gurus, let me know if any of these would work (well).
Figure 8 winding would take ages. All winding is done by a machine that turns the bobbin while you guide the wire with your hands. Winding in a figure 8 cannot be done on a machine like that.
I was thinking about this type of thing. I was thinking u could make a pickup made of 4 parts(HB style), and have the polepieces/coils be wound differently for a brighter tone in the back coil and a thicker tone in the front coil. so u could split it to have the whole front, the whole back, or the front left and the back right. idk if it would work, but its an idea.
Quote by qotsa1998
I was thinking about this type of thing. I was thinking u could make a pickup made of 4 parts(HB style), and have the polepieces/coils be wound differently for a brighter tone in the back coil and a thicker tone in the front coil. so u could split it to have the whole front, the whole back, or the front left and the back right. idk if it would work, but its an idea.

DiMarzio's new D Activator pickups are humbuckers, but the coils are wound to different frequencies, and for noise cancelling they use the same technology as DiMarzio's noiseless single coils. The result is a relatively quiet passive pickup with all the harmonics of an active pickup.
Quote by sashki
DiMarzio's new D Activator pickups are humbuckers, but the coils are wound to different frequencies, and for noise cancelling they use the same technology as DiMarzio's noiseless single coils. The result is a relatively quiet passive pickup with all the harmonics of an active pickup.

Nothing new. PAF pickups in the early days have coils with mismatched D.C. resistances.
Quote by flashbandit

1.) Take a single coil style pickup with 6 pole pieces, except reverse the polarity of every other pole piece. This idea would probably give you a pickup rich in harmonics, since alot of the fundamentals would cancel out to a small extent.

If you got 6 small magnets then you could try it but I doubt it'll give you more. In my neobuckers I use 3 magnets instead of 1 bar magnet and there have been times when I've put 1 of the magnets in the wrong direction. It didn't give me more harmonics, it just sounded bad.

If you wanted it to be even more harmonicky, connect all 6 polepieces with a blade. Or, make like 20 pole pieces (they would correlate to their own strings any more) and connect those with a blade. The pickup would sort of be out of phase with itself! If it was killing too much of the signal, you could change the impedances of the different poles so that they weren't matched properly.

what is your logic behind this?

2.) Here's an idea for a hum-canceling single coil that actually sounds like a single coil. Take your six pole pieces and leave them polarized all the same, but wrap each pole individually, but reverse. So it'd be like RW, but not RP. You would of course link each pole up in series.

That would hum cancel but it would also put the pickup out of phase with it's self. You you have to reverse the polarity of each pole as well. A lot of pickup makers (myself inclueded) have played with this idea. I found the easiest way to do it is wrap the poles in groups of 3. So your 3 bass strings are wrapped together with north polarity. The 3 trebble strings are wounds the opposite direction with the opposite polarity. When you do this you can still hear a phase problem between the D and G strings. If you alternated winding and polarity for all 6 strings you would hear the phase issue with all the strings. So it's a great idea and some people realy like it, but it does change the overall shape of the tone so it's not like a real single coil anymore.

3.) Another idea for a hum-canceling single coil. Make a single coil with a RW dummy coil (that's already been done), but wrap the dummy coil around the original coil. It may need to be a higher impedance since it's further from the magnets, and some creative testing would have to be done to match everything up, but I think it'd work.

If you wrap the dummy coil around the original coil then it's not a dummy coil anymore. It becomes an out of phase coil which will cause some phase cancelation but still sounds interesting. It's fun to play with and anybody that is playing with pickups should try it just for fun. The best way to do this is to get a single coil with a coil tap and 4 conductor wire. Then revers the leads on the outside coil.

4.) Yet another hum-cancelling single coil. Thinking about optimizing idea 3, I came up with this. Think about #3, it's 2 separate coils, one reverse wound. So you make one full coil, and link it to another full coil. How about though, if you wrapped a few turns around the magnets, and then reversed directions and wrapped a few turns the other way. So you don't have 2 separate coils, you have hundereds of small coils all wrapped right next to eachother. I have no idea if this would work, but give me your thoughts.

It would work great for canceling hum but it would also cancel your tone from the strings. Here is what you need to remember. When you reverse the windings to cancel hum you reverse the phase too. You then have to change the phase back by reverseing the magnetic polarity.

4.5) A humbucker Idea. Right now, most every humbucker is like 2 single coils right next to eachother. What if you set up your magnets for the hb unwound, and then wound them in a figure 8 fashion, so that one side gets a coil, then the other side gets a coil, then back and forth. There'd be no 4-lead version of this pickup obviously, but that's the only down side I see.

It would work, but could you imagine doing that 5000 times?

5.) Combine Ideas one and 2 for alternating RWRP pole pieces.
Again, time is the big issue here. I'm not sure what advantages it would give you. If you ever did take the time to wire something like this I would be interested t hear it.
Not taking any online orders.
^ Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I figured most of these wouldn't work well, but if I had the money I'd try it at least! And If you built some out of phase pickups and put them together with a good sounding pickup in a humbucker config, I'm sure you could get some interesting results!