Oki heres the problem

I'm using floating arm style picking and Dunlop Jazz 3's if that matters, but basically my problem is, is that my picking isn't smooth in faster descending passagesdue to my pick choking on the strings which is infuriating and means i have to reset my pick in my hand

I can post pics of how im holding it etc if needs be, but has anyone encountered this and how to overcome it?

EDIT: Just uploading pics
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 12, 2007,
What do you mean by "choking on the strings"? The edge of the pick is getting caught?
Yeah it like catches when it comes off, and it's a smooth edge and it seems to happen no matter how much i try to just make it 'tickle' the string - is it just a case of sort of powering past this?
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 12, 2007,
Use a new pick. If that doesn't work change your strings. Are the strings corroded? They should feel slick when you run your fingers down the plain strings.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Use a new pick. If that doesn't work change your strings. Are the strings corroded? They should feel slick when you run your fingers down the plain strings.

I've gotten to the point of using a new pick everyday, i dont pick hard at all, it's just that they rough up very quickly, plus the strings are fine
Eh i'll have to reevaluate my picking
Try keeping your pick on an angle a bit. For example when picking down and the tip of the pick up a bit, when going up angle it downward so your not hitting the string with a flat surface but one where it can glide off. If you get what I mean?
Last edited by RiCKONZ at Sep 13, 2007,
Maybe you should try a different pick material. For example, I like the feel and tone of celluloid picks but they have a tendency to chip along the edges. I use heavy Dunlop Jells almost exclusively. They wear smoothly if you would like to try them.

I also used an Ultex pick once and it was fantastically smooth, but more expensive. I may try those when my current gross of jells runs out.
^ Yeah there's an Ultex version of the Jazz 3 out which i hope to get soon, i love the pointyness and small size of the Jazz 3 but the materials but a bit lacklustre for long playing
I can't seem to be able to find any Jazz 3's here. Where can I get them?
not quite sure what you mean by "floating arm style" are not touching the body at all? cuz I always keep one point of my hand or arm on the guitar just to steady my picking strokes.