ok, so I was wondering how you play this :
---- ------------------------------------|----------------------------------|
--5-5---------5-5-5-5-------------|-------------------------------------|
--5-5---------5-5-5-5-------------|--2-2---------2-2-2-2-------------|
--7-7---------7-7-7-7-------------|--4-4---------4-4-4-4-------------|
--7-7---------7-7-7-7-------------|--5-5---------5-5-5-5-------------|

do you strum it like a chord or do you pic the individual strings? Would you play the first part like a barre?

Also how do you mute the string between 5 and 7 ?
|--------------------------------------------------------|
|--7-7-7-7-9-9-9-9-11-11-11-11-12-12-12-12-| .
|----------x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-|
|--5-5-5-5-5-7-7-7-7--9--9--9--9-10-10-10-10-|

I'd appreciate any help on this, cause its causeing me real problems with my playing

Have a good one everybody
Quote by H.C
ok, so I was wondering how you play this :
---- ------------------------------------|----------------------------------|
--5-5---------5-5-5-5-------------|-------------------------------------|
--7-7---------7-7-7-7-------------|--4-4---------4-4-4-4-------------|
--7-7---------7-7-7-7-------------|--5-5---------5-5-5-5-------------|

do you strum it like a chord or do you pic the individual strings? Would you play the first part like a barre?

Also how do you mute the string between 5 and 7 ?
|--7-7-7-7-9-9-9-9-11-11-11-11-12-12-12-12-| .
|----------x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-|
|--5-5-5-5-5-7-7-7-7--9--9--9--9-10-10-10-10-|

I'd appreciate any help on this, cause its causeing me real problems with my playing

Have a good one everybody

The top part of the tab, you strum slowly, for the second part you just don't strum the X's.
for the first parts, you barre and strum the chords. then for the octave shapes, i use my index and ring finger and either hang my index over the middle string to mute it or just lay my middle finger lightly on the middle string to mute.

hope that helps!
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
strum them like chords (they are barre chords).

To mute the strings, you will prob use the index and middle finger - just leat your index finger lighly touch the D string and mute it out, while the tip is firmly on the A string and your middle finger is on the G string.
for the second one just mute the string with your first finger, just let it lay across it but not pressing down on it
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
for the top part, assuming you put the numbers in the right spot, you would strum them, and yes it would be a barre chord....to mute the second string in the second piece, use the finger that you place on the 5 and slightly rest the part of your finger that isnt on the 5 on that string and voila!
You barre the chord in the first bit

And the second, do it like an octave shape [basically a powerchord but with your thirs finger on the 3'rd note, and you're index finger sort of...resting against the middle string
you strum.
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
I would use barre on all the chords on the first part. I would mute the string with the same finger that im holding down the upper string, just lean the finger a bit so it touches but doesnt hold down the middle string
When two frets on the same string are fretted at the same time, the higher one will ring out. So, to play the beginning chords you use your index finger to barre the fifth fret. You use your little finger and ring finger and put them on the two strings on the seventh fret. Just strum the chords like a normal chord. You can apply the same principle to the next part. Just barre the second fret and use your other fingers to fret the strings on the fourth and fifth frets.

For the octave part, you play the chords like power chords, except you kind of rest your index finger on the D string while also fretting the A string. This mutes the middle string.

BTW, The Pretender is an awesome song. Can't wait for the new album. Keep rocking the Foo!
for the first one put your index finger across the whole fifth fret, ring and pinky on the seventh fret. Its a barre chord. It is the same with the second one. As for the third one just rest your index finger in between where the x is!
The second chords are easy (they're called octave shapes).Just position your fingers as a normal power chord and rest your third finger on the 4th string
Thanks everyone for the good answers and helped a lot

And Drummonkey you couldn't be more right: The FooFighters Rule!