ive just started work on a projects for my a level product design course and was wondering if anyone could think of anything that could make a guitar better, like body/neck wise or something to update it and make it better? any help would be realli.. well helpful
you want to alter an existing guitar to make it better? or are you building one from scratch?

if option one then, make the neck thinner, add a kill switch and a coil split, add bevels. there are tons you could do
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
im hopefully gonna build from scratch and thanks, i would hav never thought of usin a kill switch, also dus anyone kno wat a cheapish kind of wood would be not a shoddy one, but not realli expensive
Last edited by blackhawk777 at Sep 13, 2007,
oh god i remember trying to build a guitar for my design and tech project at school last year

did not come out well haha
i used like mahogany as well that i got for free

building a guitar is ALOT more difficult than it sounds!
Basswood may be the cheapest acceptable wood. It has balanced characteristics and decent sustain, but it is a bit soft (dings easily.) Many have tried to improve the sustain of guitars (set neck, neck through, sustain blocks.) I wonder what a continuous stainless steel plate from the bridge to the neck joint with the neck bolted through the plate would do. Would have to be properly isolated and grounded, as well as not too heavy.
agree with uldhppi. i'd use basswood. i'd do a neck through body if possible. i'd go with two humbuckers with coil tapping..hmm what else..24 frets of course extra jumbo that is. um..it would be easy to do like a tune o matic bridge but a floyd rose trem would be awesome. i'd go with a rose wood fretboard. hmm..i have alot of idea's but idk what would be possible for you to do. lol
would glueing a stronger wood over the basswood help at all av seen it on sum les pauls or summat i think
You could glue on a maple cap. Make the tone a little brighter and look better.
Check the internet under guitar wood sellers. Also type in the name of your city+basswood+lumber. Some lumber yards who sell it in your area should come up.
yellow pages. it'll have lumberyards listed in there.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
erm dus anyone know what kind of paint and stuff i should use or what varnish i should use if i want a natural finish?