i'm trying to get a better grasp on theory and wanted to know if i was playing a chord progression that went e, a, bm, g, would the e minor pentatonic be a usable scale for soloing over? (in theory)
so yes it's the appropriate scale, or yes it will be fine, because i'm just trying to improve my theory knowledge
find out the notes in each chord. Then look at what scale matches the notes in those chords.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
my question is, if the e minor pentatonic goes e, g, a, b, d, e, g, a, b, d ect... and
if the chords route notes are e, a, b, and g, those are notes in the scale. so does that make it the right scale?
There's no right or wrong scale for that progression. Actually, there's never really a right or wrong scale. It depends on how you want it to sound.

But that chord progression doesn't really adhere to one key. You have E major and A major, then B minor, so at that point it would be in A major. But then you throw the G in there, which kind of makes it D major (or A mixolydian).

Maybe try A major Pentatonic, but above all, play notes that sound good to you.
Soloing with E minor pentatonic over E Major chord wouldn't probably be usual choice.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
Soloing with E minor pentatonic over E Major chord wouldn't probably be usual choice.

Ever heard of blues?

in a twelve-bar progression using all dominant 7th chords, the minor pentatonic is used frequently.

EDIT: I still think A major pentatonic would sound the best.
Quote by I floss daily
Ever heard of blues?

in a twelve-bar progression using all dominant 7th chords, the minor pentatonic is used frequently.

EDIT: I still think A major pentatonic would sound the best.

Yes, I heard for it, but it isn't a first choice for soloing over something for beginner.
If he wanted the blues sound he would asked for it.
And his chord progression isn't really bluesy.
I would analyze this progression as E Major modulating to it's parallel minor (E minor = G Major)
I would go with the modal approach or playing the arpeggios to get most ordinary sound of it (nothing experimental).
Or if you want pentatonics, C# minor pentatonic for E and A, and E minor pentatonic for Bm and G. It would outline the key change.

If you go with arpeggiating I would recommend adding 7th, 9ths... etc to arpeggios.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.