Ok, serious topic is Serious with capital S.

I suck on guitar. Simply put. I'm better than a decent percentage of people, but I still suck.

I'm looking to develop a practice routine, serious shred-guitar stuff. But, I don't have ten hours a day free to myself. Some days I will only have an hour, because of work and homework from school.

So, in short, could you guys help me develop a 1-hour practise routine to help me become an all-round better musician?

I'm 100% serious about this. I don't have any other hobbies, and it's depressing to suck at the only thing I take pleasure in.

I don't mind if having only 1 hour to practice means I have to spend years on my technique/theory, etc. I'll just have to spread it out further than most people and focus like ****.
Last edited by J.A.M at Sep 12, 2007,
What are your goals? Be as specific as possible regarding technical, conceptual, and compositional goals.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I read that John Williams only practiced a half hour a day - an hour a day is plenty if you are practicing the right way. Check out guitarprinciples.com.
look up steve vai's ten hour workout and just play exercises from that for an hour at a time. It still works
Quote by nightwind
What are your goals? Be as specific as possible regarding technical, conceptual, and compositional goals.

Good question.

Thats a hard question for me to answer, but I suppose being a solid Thrash/Death metal guitarist would be a start. Although I'm interested in Jazz/Classical/Rock, this is what interests me the most in regards to the technical aspect.

I would need to;

become faster in legato and alternate picking (16th 160bpm notes)
make my tapping cleaner and faster
learn to sweep.
(I'll add more to this later).

Conceptual? not sure what you mean, please enlighten me.

Compositional, I need to learn to write better songs, and work on fitting riffs together to make decent music.

I'll add more to the whole of this overall tomorrow, I'm going to bed.
i have been playing for almost 3 years and i usually just jam for a few hours. that is the best. once you spend time on scales and modes, and technical **** then just jam and put it to use. i write the best songs when i am just messin' around. so i guess learn some A minor pentatonics and the Modes and then practice them while your jammin'. one good thing to do is play one of your favorite songs and just play along with it, even if you dont know the tabs...i mean this is a tab site, but playing without knowing tabs really gives you ideas.
Quote by pos69sum
I read that John Williams only practiced a half hour a day - an hour a day is plenty if you are practicing the right way. Check out guitarprinciples.com.

What I read was John Williams was taught by his father. His father wouldn't even
let him TOUCH the guitar for practice unless he was present to correct his every
move for the first few years.

Unfortunately, hardly anyone has gotten the benefit of learning superb practice
skill like that so early.

And yeah, go to that site. Its exactly what you'll need. If you want to reach higher
levels you'll need to know HOW to practice better, not so much WHAT to practice...
You know its not neccessary to practice 10 hours a day. You can get by and make real improvments on one hours practice a day. Its really quality over quantity. If you practicing the right way, one hour a day should be more than enough.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.