Page 1 of 3
It seems like so many people do now. People say they don't because you can't hear it, its easier to play, you don't need it, ect. So much BS.

Anyway do you respect them? I could go into why I do but I am likely to piss some of you off even though what I would say is pretty true.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Yeh i do, because bass is only un-hearable when a **** bassist plays the same as the guitar.

where as say RHCP's very early stuff is insane slap which takes alot of effort.

Les Claypool uses the bass as percussion as well as melodically.

Its a very hard instrument to master
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
They are a big part of a band. People don't understand that if you take a bassist out of a popular band, they'll most likely sound like ****, like RHCP. If they dropped Flea, the Earth would implode.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I do

Bass was my first instrument, so I've always had shedloads of respect for decent bass players...without a bass (in my experience) a band just doesn't sound as good, even if they are just playing the root notes of what the guitar is playing...
Last edited by Burpbelly at Sep 12, 2007,
if they're good, like flea or geddy lee, yes, if it's some emo guy that wanted to be in teh band but they didn't want 3 guitarists, no not at all, i only respect the really good ones
RIP Cliff Burton
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I dislike the instrument, but I have much respect for the great bass players. Songs quite often are made from a bass line, so it is extremely important.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
finally! the respect us bassits deserve! the guitarist in my band always makes fun of bassists...=(
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Yeah, i respect them. Just because they dont get a lot of the limelight doesnt mean they arent important.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
i do if there good....John Entwhistle is respectable.
Bassist like Mikey Way.....well, isnt worth respect as a musician.
I don't treat bassists with any respect at all, I let them think they're in love with me, sleep with them a couple of times then don't bother calling.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Bass is the heart and soul of the band
it's just as important as guitar in a good rock band
Bassist can add so much to your music it's insane

check out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
their bassist is Victor Wooten. He's better than Les Claypool
I plays guitars.
You can't hear bass in crap music (pop punk, mainstream rock and that hardcore ****) You can hear the bass in good music tho, and yes I do respect bassists, good and creative ones, not that fat dude that wants to be cool by playing in a band
I do respect the bass for several reasons.

First of all, I compose, and I happen to know the importance of bass in a composition. It can really play an important role besides just backing with lower notes. The bass can really add a lot to the rhythm, and when the bass-drum hits are matched by notes on a bass guitar, then you really heavy "punctuating" effect. This is just one of the many things the bass guitar can do. To make an example of how important the bass is, I can refer to Iron Maiden, now, you might, or might not, like Iron Maiden, but regardless of that, they really know how to let the bass play an important role. Let's take "The Trooper" for instance, the main melody of that song, is actually controlled by the bass. It really does what the Rhythm guitar would have done, and this allows them to move that rhythm guitar onto a harmony of the melody. Obviously, in the studio, you don't need 2 guitars to do a melody with a harmony, but live, and in general, that's how you gotta think. So the bass can affect both rhythm, and melody.

Another example is more of an underdog than the previous one, "Mother of light" by Epica. There's a passage in the middle of the song, where there's only bass, drums and vocals(and a tad of violin), and that's simply the secpmd best utilization of bass that I've ever heard. It couldn't have been done in any other way, as I see it.

The last of these examples, which also touches a vital point, is "To bid you farewell" by Opeth, where the very different sounding fretless bass is being used. I can't say much more than that this song has the best bass I've ever heard, and it wouldn't be anything without it.

Now, secondly, everyone says the can't hear the bass. But try and see what happens when there's no bass, you can definitely hear THAT!
I think the bass is every bit as important as anything else, sometimes more so. I very much prefer music where the bass is driving the rhythm along with the drums (as opposed to a rhythm guitarist and a drummer where the bass is only used to fill out the low end) so the guitar can be used more as a layering instrument.

I have loads of respect for good bassists.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by .smudged.
You can't hear bass in crap music (pop punk, mainstream rock and that hardcore ****) You can hear the bass in good music tho, and yes I do respect bassists, good and creative ones, not that fat dude that wants to be cool by playing in a band

Modern rock has masses of bass in it, it just gets buried in the mix with it's good frequencies a lot lower down the spectrum, so when you listen to it on ****ty home speakers you think "oh yeah more pussy rock". Then you hear a DJ play a band like Nickelback (or insert similar lightweight) through a massive PA stack and suddenly there's notes you'd never noticed before shaking the floor.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
The only thing I respect is the Search Button.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Why would you respect a bass player any less than a guitar player? Or the drummer? Or the front man? Do you respect you right arm more than your right leg.?
Quote by qotsa1998
i do if there good....John Entwhistle is respectable.
Bassist like Mikey Way.....well, isnt worth respect as a musician.

He did a fine job in "Cancer".

I hate the bassists that are in the pop punk or emo bands, they just play the root note of the guitarists power chords. MIX IT THE HELL UP!
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I respect bassists, I just don't like to let them know that
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
of coarse!! bass can be more important than guitars.. without bass its dull and s*** sounding... BASS ROX...

o and if it wasnt for my bass player i wouldnt have been introduced to LAMB OF GOD!!
well.. i don't respect my bassist. but others yes.

my bassist insists on playing whatever I play. Has payed 3 years, knows one scale, only uses 2 fingers (fretting hand) makes me sick. I'm good friends with him and a trying to think of a way to get rid of him other than saying "you are the worst musician i've ever known"
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
well.. i don't respect my bassist. but others yes.

my bassist insists on playing whatever I play. Has payed 3 years, knows one scale, only uses 2 fingers (fretting hand) makes me sick. I'm good friends with him and a trying to think of a way to get rid of him other than saying "you are the worst musician i've ever known"

I could tell him "you're the musician he's ever known", kinda middle man thing...although I would need some money for the round journey...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

^ seriously any price, name it lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by .smudged.

What? I sort of agree but saying that you can't hear bass in hardcore music is stupid. Not all the bands out there really emphasize it but some bands do and it adds so ****ing much to their music.

Also, respecting all types of music is fundamental. Don't just go around saying hardcore is **** because you don't like it.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ seriously any price, name it lol

Haha, we'll talk the business side later, for now I'm contemplating the combined delights of getting drunk in Ireland and sorting out your quandry haha
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I mainly play bass (in bands etc.) so its only natural that I would, I laugh at the occaissional joke, just like everybodie else, but when it gets down to business, but I also play guitar, and come from a major guitar playing familie/group so I can see where a disrespectful mindset comes from.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
here is a band in terms of bodyparts:
Guitarists - The band's personality, its brain
Drums - Heart, if it ****s up, your dead.
Bass - **** and Balls. if you have no bassist, your band is a woman.

I respect bassists as much as I respect guitarists. This also means that bad bass players who think they're awesome cause they're in a band should be stripped of their manhood.
^ I don't like your logic, because I love being in a woman as opposed to being in a band
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ I don't like your logic, because I love being in a woman as opposed to being in a band

LOL

well its not really logic. its bull****, but you get the picture.

band without bassist = man without **** and balls.

simple.
It depends on the bassist. The bassist in the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Yeah. They show some originality. Bassists that don't differentiate from the rhythm guitar piss me off.
Meh, I don't not respect them, its just that bass bores me usually. I used to play bass, and moved to guitar for the following reason; bass is boring, unless you are playing funk stuff, which I'm not a huge fan of.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
I don't treat bassists with any respect at all, I let them think they're in love with me, sleep with them a couple of times then don't bother calling.

+1
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Page 1 of 3