hey im been playing the guitar for 4 years now and to be completely honest, i know utter crap in theory. as for co-ordination and actual technique, i believe scratch the surface of an okay to good player. i try and make music but its EXTREMELY hard to find notes that fit, all i know in theory are like 4 modes in Gmajor. i took a beginner music class in school last year so i know the basics.

my question: where do i start in learning theory?! i have no idea on what to study first. i seek a better answer then ''scales'' ''more chords'' i appreciate any help! i want to make better music!
Last edited by JP31 at Sep 12, 2007,
hey bro...there is a book called...Everything Music Theory? i think thats the title. anywho, i read some and i realized that it is better for me to just jam to write songs. jam to songs that you don't have the tabs for. that works best for me.

just an idea though.
Well id suggest, the major scale, chord consturction, chord progressions, cadences, learning how to read music. Theres a lifetimes worth of work, now get to it There's plenty of other stuff but all of that can keep you going forever!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Hey, just my two cents

Basic idea of notes on the fretboard (so you arent completely blind)
Construction of the Major scale and understand the "key" of a song means
Construction of Basic chords using the major scale
Circle of fifths (sharps)
Circle of fourths (flats)

If you need any help, just ask.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by Peanut1614
Well id suggest, the major scale, chord consturction, chord progressions, cadences, learning how to read music. Theres a lifetimes worth of work, now get to it There's plenty of other stuff but all of that can keep you going forever!

And then move on modes and harmonic minor scale, start analyzing some songs you like.
If you don't know the notes on fretboard and basic note system, put that on top of your list.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.