Poll: How would you say Bass?
Poll Options
View poll results: How would you say Bass?
Bass (as in 'base' or 'bass guitar'
111 90%
Bass (as in the fish)
12 10%
Voters: 123.
What are you're thoughts on the word bass? Say you're talking to someone about adjusting your stereo or something. They say, "Yea, I crank up that bass so hard, man". Would you say they said, bass (as in base, or bass guitar), or bass (as in the fish)?

I've always said it as "base" when trying to say bass.

Thoughts? Poll is SO comming.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
It's base.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
I am so desperate to post the lol wut pear.

Honestly, what the fuck are you talking about?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I'm confused, but I don't like fish so..
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
Base, 'cause it rhymes with face. Like, instead of your "Guitar face" you got the bassface.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
The instrument is pronounced like "base". But as long we're on the subject, how do you pronounce basswood?
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
the only time you ever say it like the fish is when you are talking about the fish, i thought this was common knowledge but i suppose i am wrong
Quote by 18th_Angel
No dude, that is definitely an ugly chick. I'm talking 10 or 11 beers ugly.
I say Bass (like the fish) sometimes by accident when referring to music....
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
I wasn't referring to how you said bass guitar. grrrr I've had numerious people tell me they "adjusted the bass (as in bass fish) on their stereo"
any1 who refers it to the fish is a moron... ill say it rather correctly bass/base
What n00b pronounces it Bass, we're not talking about fishing here...

It may be spelt like bass but it's pronounced bass, let me guess you pronounce treble "trebley" becuse it looks like that, and middle "middly" beause it looks like that
Quote by YourMessiah666
why the hell would you say it the way its said in the context of the fish?

+1.

Who turns the fish up on their stereos?
Quote by Ehh
I wasn't referring to how you said bass guitar. grrrr I've had numerious people tell me they "adjusted the bass (as in bass fish) on their stereo"

as i said, i only say it like so: bass, pronounced: /bas/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bas] when i am talking about the fish

and i say it bass, pronounced /beys/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[beys] when i am using it in any other context

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bass
Quote by 18th_Angel
No dude, that is definitely an ugly chick. I'm talking 10 or 11 beers ugly.
Quote by Ehh

they are idiots. I once heard a guy tremolo with an accent on the first o. tremOlo
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Honestly... www.dictionary.com...
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
i used to say bass but now I say base. I used to get it confused with Polish because in that language you say bass..
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I say "epiphone" like telephone.

For that matter, how do y'all pronounce Ibanez? Or Ginsberg (As in Allen Ginsberg- I've heard it as in "Gin" and as in "Beggin'"- or "begin", which is probably easier to understand than "Beggin'"....whatever).

Also Epstein- is it Steen or Styne?
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by Hobolad
For that matter, how do y'all pronounce Ibanez?

I says ee-buh-nez, which is quite probably wrong but I don't CARE because I'm so used to being wrong hardcore
i say it bass as in the fish

just kidding, i'm not retarded
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by bequickorbedead
What n00b pronounces it Bass, we're not talking about fishing here...

It may be spelt like bass but it's pronounced bass, let me guess you pronounce treble "trebley" becuse it looks like that, and middle "middly" beause it looks like that

I'm ignoring you, and for a reason. Why assume about me? Even after I stated, I say it the correct way.

Edit:

Someone said, why is this a thread? Because it isn't agaisnt the rules, it hasn't been made before (to the best of my knowledge) and I was asking for YOUR thoughts instead of Dictionary.com's thoughts. Why post pointless comments?
Last edited by Ehh at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by Ehh
I'm ignoring you, and for a reason. Why assume about me? Even after I stated, I say it the correct way.

Huh? I didn't mention you, or anyone for that matter...

I was referring to anyone who has voted for like the fish

Edit: Sorry if it came across like that...
Why the hell would say it like the fish? That's retarded. It's BASS BECAUSE ITS ****IN ACE!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Oh, sorry. haha
I'm also confused about the pronunciation of Epiphone. I always thought it was Ep-ih-fohn, but I was recently in a Russo's, and traded in my Epiphone Les Paul, and a guy (if he worked there or not, I don't know) said "Ooooh wow, nice Ee-piff-a-mee" which made me question it, though, as I just said, he did pronounce it with an m, which I'm confident is wrong.

Anyway, I got my first bass (as in the instrument) for Christmas when I was in 7th grade, and when we got back from Christmas break, we had to write about what we got over the holidays, and I wrote about my bass, and my teacher and I got into a heated argument over whether it was b-a-s-s, or b-a-s-e. She vehemently insisted it was written b-a-s-e.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by Hobolad
Also Epstein- is it Steen or Styne?

According to general pronunciation rules, when an I and an E are adjacent, you pronounce the second letter. So it's probably 'styne'. However, every rule has exceptions, so I may be completely wrong.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by Allnightmask22
I'm also confused about the pronunciation of Epiphone. I always thought it was Ep-ih-fohn, but I was recently in a Russo's, and traded in my Epiphone Les Paul, and a guy (if he worked there or not, I don't know) said "Ooooh wow, nice Ee-piff-a-mee" which made me question it, though, as I just said, he did pronounce it with an m, which I'm confident is wrong.

Anyway, I got my first bass (as in the instrument) for Christmas when I was in 7th grade, and when we got back from Christmas break, we had to write about what we got over the holidays, and I wrote about my bass, and my teacher and I got into a heated argument over whether it was b-a-s-s, or b-a-s-e. She vehemently insisted it was written b-a-s-e.

So your pretty much pwned your teacher when you were 13 years old or something?
Whenever I see the word "Bass" I always think of the fish. I always want to pronounce it that way too.

I catch myself most the time tho
I am the Infantry.
Quote by European Son
So your pretty much pwned your teacher when you were 13 years old or something?

Yeah, I realize that in retrospect, but she never admitted she was wrong, so it was an incomplete pwning.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...