Am I the only one who's tried pedals with my amp (not actually mine but the same one at a shop) and just thought the pedal would spoil the sound? I think I may be one of those "purists" who just stick to have a straight guitar-amp setup with maybe a wah? I just find pedals to remove what my TT has to offer. To be fair this was mostly with ODs but yeah...what do you guys/gals think?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I can understand that, I haven't run into effects problems yet though.
I also agree though, I like pedals that add to your tone instead of just covering it up.

Like phasers and delays.

Edit:
Quote by Shard Heilia
Zepplinpage, why is Yoda in the Empire?

Anyway, yeah. Delays and Phasers are fuuun. =P

Lol he's not, Seth wanted to take Rebellion members and I agreed to take Empire members. Then I ended up taking both so I decided to become Yoda. And well he's one of my favorite characters so I just kept as Yoda.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 12, 2007,
all i use is a vox wah wah and my trusty old ac 15, gives me everything i need, however i'm building a ts-808 to give me some boost, it all depends on your amp really. Like for instance my amp gives me all i need for vintage rock music so thats all i'll ever need, but for instance if you play through a low gain amp but play metal pedals/amp change is the only way to go. It all boils down to personal taste, for some a pedal is the only way to acheive their desired tone.
I can see that too. I like pedals, but there is nothing like just hearing your guitar speak. Sure, it's cool to fool around with a wah-wah but, most effects will mask your guitars overall sound. It seems this is what you mean.
I plug straight into the amp 80% of the time, because I don't need anything more than just the amp to get a great sound. I have never tried a pedal which actually improves the sound of the amp, I just use them for different tones, occasionally.
I could do with just an OD and wah, and no other effects, the OD coz my amp's only single channel.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i like effects alot. i use them in almost every song i write. im not really a fan of any distortion pedals other than the big muff but i think once you start getting a respectable pedal board going, you really have alot more options with your sound.... of course both the bands im in play music with a psychedelic element to it but i just find it alot more interesting with with crazy effects... like im painting a picture and the guitar and effects are my canvas. i have a line 6 DL4, EH memory man, EH Q tron, EH Big muff, boss metal zone, and a wah and i have many more i could add. of course i could still have fun playing shows with just my guit and amp up there but i just find it more interesting. just my preference.
Quote by philjay
Am I the only one who's tried pedals with my amp (not actually mine but the same one at a shop) and just thought the pedal would spoil the sound? I think I may be one of those "purists" who just stick to have a straight guitar-amp setup with maybe a wah? I just find pedals to remove what my TT has to offer. To be fair this was mostly with ODs but yeah...what do you guys/gals think?

I think Wah's spoil the sound

Haha, nah, I'd be quite happy to play without any pedals, I just use them for practicality in live situations (OD for solo's). Don't buy pedals for the sake of it, just if you need something. Only then will you find pedals you like.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I agree for the most part. Im very minimalist when it comes to pedals or effects of any kind.

I only use a few from time to time(and they better be good). The most used effect would be a good compressor(enough to keep my signal steady, but not to squash things.....my mesa is tight enough.....it doesnt need squashed any harder than it is to get good chunk).

Other than that.....wah sparingly, along with delay and chorus sparingly. No overdrive pedals of any kind(once again.....the mesa recto doesnt appear to need any help in the gain dept) or anything else to fancy.

And when it comes to the delay and chorus.....sure Id like it to be transparent, but I actually dont mind if it does effect the sound a little. I use them sparingly, and mostly for effect(when I do use them). When playing with the band.....there may be a few short parts here and there in the song that need a little "something". I find that a lightly overdriven amp tone with a hint of delay and a wet chorus gives you a nice saturated, but "dark" kind of tone(imagine of some of the backround tones you hear from the guitar on a tool album for example). Another good example of that kinda dark, dirty, but lush sound would be the sounds Randy Rhodes had especially on the live ozzy album(not the rhythm/lead sounds, but the synth parts of the song replicated by his guitar in the live setting show off this sound well).

Obviously this isnt a very natural sound, and I wouldnt use this kind of sound for a lead or prominent rhythm....just mostly backround playing for certain parts of the song to add a little dimension. Thats why I dont mind if it effects my sound a whole lot.....cause that sparingly used sound isnt exactly "my sound".....plus no matter how you do it.....that sound isnt a real natural sound to begin with.

But yeah.....I keep it very simple for all the important rhythm and lead sections that way it all sounds and feels natural.

One suggestion.....dont give up on pedals just yet. A few key pedals(quality is important) used lightly can "add to" without "covering up". If you push the effect to the point where you really hear it working.....sometimes you have gone too far already. So give them another shot and dial them in real light. You may find a happy medium at least in some situations like myself.
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.
TS- I'm with you there, definitely. I like my setup now- wah + my homemade Fuzz Face/Rangemaster clone. The only thing I'd really want in a live setting other than those two is maybe an Octavia.
Last edited by cokeisbetter at Sep 12, 2007,