I am thinking about getting the Roland GK-3 guitar-synth pick-up. I have read many reviews, some good, some bad. Majority say it's an all-right thing but a real synth is better. Well duh!!

Anyway I was thinking about putting it on my knock-off strat. At the place where I bought the knock-off, the store owner had one of these hooked up to his guitar. He showed it to me while my dad signed all the warranty and paperwork etc. So I've seen it in person and it sounds OK. Again a real synth would be better. But it sounded gig worthy.

I was just wondering if I install it on a knock-off would it be worth it?

PS

would it screw up the finish, or the bridge, or anything like that?
Last edited by neptune1988 at Sep 12, 2007,
Sure, why not.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You don't have to screw it on, the pickup can be glued on with sticky tape. You can take it off and put it on a different guitar if you grow out of the knockoff, so why not.

As to "real synth is better". The GK is a midi controller. You still need a real synth to make sounds with it. The GR series is a natural choice, but you can use the pickup to control other things. If you're a guitar player, then the GK is a great substitute for a keyboard controller. Familiar territory, bends right at hand. Some sounds are of course more suited for keyboard controllers (all pianos inclusively, where it really helps to be able to play more than six notes at once) but strings, wind, brass, synth leads are excellent with the GK.

The GK3 tracks really well when set up properly, and nothing beats playing legato sax riffs on your guitar.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!