I decided I am going to finally go to my guitar shop and try out some guitars that I plan to buy. Only thing is I am not that great. I know a few chords and some riffs. I just really don't want to embarrass myself, even though I know if someone started yelling **** at me they'd be put in their place by an employee probably, since I am planning to make a purchase.

I just need some help, some recommended riffs. I don't want to show off. I just want to not be laughed at. Any tips are appreciated.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Just play whatever songs that you play normally (it makes sense since that's what you're going to be using the guitar for anyway)...

Playing guitar *gasp* isn't a competition.

You want to be focusing on the guitar, not what the people who work there think of you.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Play Stairway to Heaven, Smoke On the Water, or Sweet Child O' Mine.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by FacingUsAll
Just play whatever songs that you play normally (it makes sense since that's what you're going to be using the guitar for anyway)...

You want to be focusing on the guitar, not what the people who work there think of you.

I don't know any song all the way through yet, due to me not having a guitar. I just know parts of songs and some riffs, chords, etc, etc.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Quote by SupremeACL
Play Stairway to Heaven, Smoke On the Water, or Sweet Child O' Mine.

Hahaha, your funny.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Hold the guitar. Play each string on each fret.

Play some random chords.

Just get a good feel for it; that's all that is important. Work your way on the upper frets and see how the neck heel suits you.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Funcoot
Hahaha, your funny.

Chill man, it's called a joke.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
FacingUsAll is absolutely correct. The feel of the neck is very important (at least in my opinion).
Here's a detailed guide pinned in this forum on every aspect of testing a guitar.
Last edited by CanCan at Sep 12, 2007,
I'd say just play around with it. Play whatever songs you already know, try out everything suck as soloing, palm muting, whatever you can think of to see if it feels good. Also try out different pickup combinations and see how they sound and if you like them. If you're not gonna switch out the stock pickups immediately, make sure you're fine with the way they sound.
I don't need a sig....
if you wana hear what it sounds like, get an employee to play around with it while you listen
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Thanks for the tips guys. I will also bring a friend so I will feel more comfortable!
Quote by smirnoff_black
Quote by The Arch-Mage
FacingUsAll is absolutely correct. The feel of the neck is very important (at least in my opinion).

def. you aren't going to want to play on a neck that you don't find comfortable.

EDIT: Bring a friend thats either way worse or way better. anyway people won't notice you
yeah, don't go to look cool. go to test the guitar that you like.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
dont be an stupid.... if youre buying a guitar concentrate on the sound....

i know a lot of **** to play.... yet i always play "house of the rising sun" which is pretty noobish song... but i know how a guitar is exactly supposed to sound when i play it...
I was faced with the same problem when I first went to pick out my electric guitar. I actually brought a friend who is a lead guitarist in a local band, and had him play for me, so I could hear what I could sound like, then I would play what I normally played when I practiced. But it is important that you play, because the feel of the guitar is what's important.
Kattttt.
Quote by FacingUsAll

agreed. i'm sure the people in the shops where i try stuff must think i suck, because i just play random licks and chords over and over... because i'm not showcasing my chops, I'm trying out the gear... i want to see how the volume knobs react, how it reacts to different picking strengths, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't worry about what people think of your playing ability, I've been haunting music stores and pawn shops since 1968 and have never seen anyone ridiculed because of their ability or lack of it. The employees will certainly never make fun of you, their jobs are in jeopardy if they do, and they also see beginners daily, they will be more likely to encourage you to keep trying. The worst I've ever seen an employee say is "well, you do need some practice..."

I usually try a few particular songs to see what a guitar sounds like, that's a matter of personal preference, but I know what sound I'm looking for if I play a couple of specific songs, or parts of them. I rarely take time to play an entire song, unless it's one of my few originals, and I try open tunings as well, (but not with strats) and I always bring my slide bar, it will be used on any guitar I get, so I want to know how that sounds too.

Also, since you're a beginner and unsure of your abilities, NEVER pass up a chance to play a bit with a better guitar player. Put your ego and your insecurities in your back pocket and go for it. You'll learn something every time. If I hear an interesting lick I always go over and say "hey, show me how you did that." It gets me a chance to jam some almost every time. Most good guitar players will be glad to show you too. Nobody has ever told me to go figure it out for myself.

Really good guitar players will never insult your ability or make fun of you if they have a shred of decency, most really good players will try not to out play you too badly if you're playing together, and most should be willing to give you some tips if you ask. I always hold back when playing guitar with inexperienced players, I don't want to make them look bad, I play just enough to make them work for it, but keep some interest too. If someone asks me to show them a specific lick, I slow it down to one note at a time and show them. It's no problem to me, I'm rarely in a music store if I don't have a half hour or so to waste anyway, and my ego doesn't demand that I play circles around everybody in sight...

And you'll never be as good as you want to be anyway...I've been playing 45 years and still have lots of room for improvement...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by rhysm
if you wana hear what it sounds like, get an employee to play around with it while you listen

No. That's what the employee sounds like; always play a guitar yourself otherwise you'll never know what your own playing sounds like with it and the feel is much more important anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Seriously mate, learn the first little bit of Metallica "Sanitrarium" and "One". U can master it pretty quick, and can just play it over and over
^^^ agreed, pete, nice post. The other thing is, if you are feeling self-conscious... something which is easy but played perfectly will sound better than something more difficult that you make a mess of. if you can't play it note for note at home, it certainly won't get better in the shop when you have the pressure of people listening...

^^also agreed, zaphod. you want to know what it sounds like with your playing ability. plus store guys will know tricks to make it sound better than it really is...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nobody will make fun of you, no matter how bad you are. When I try out guitars, I play through some chords and scales, just to get a feeling of the neck. Try it out on the amps clean channel too.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The only REAL way to test a guitar is to do a back flip off of something while wearing it. The neck doesn't matter at all.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
If your that bothered about what people think of ur playing (which you shouldnt be), just play some simple bluesy riffs. Make sure you get a good feel for the guitar, make sure the action suits your playing style, play around with the tone control switches to see what sounds you can come up with, make sure theres no fret buzz, and make sure you can reach all of the frets on each string comfortably.
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
The only REAL way to test a guitar is to do a back flip off of something while wearing it. The neck doesn't matter at all.

agreed, especially if you're in a david lee roth tribute band.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you have Guitar Pro 5? If you do, I've got some very easy riffs for you, well the one from mutiball is quite easy (you can play it slower if you want, same effect) and still sounds nice and the one from The Great Gianna Sisters is a bit harder but you can just play every other note and still have the melody sound, you'll see what I mean if you open the file

http://files-upload.com/files/500722/Multiball for beginner.gp5
http://files-upload.com/files/500725/The Great Gianna Sisters for beginner.gp5