Slash, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Dickey Betts, Joe Perry, John Frusciante, Kurt Cobain, Angus Young

For the ones that don't read music, do they sometimes use tabs to write some of their riffs? Or do they just record everything or memorize it ?

And how long will it take me to learn how to read music, and how beneficial is it?
How would we know, but I can tell you that alot of older guitarists learned all there stuff by ear.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
not sure as far as which ones can and can't read music but you really should take the time to do so...it may be a pain in the ass but you'll be glad you took the time to
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
I know Slash doesn't know much theory at all, and Clapton is a theory god. Don't know for sure about the others though.

Edit: You really should learn theory though. Even if it's just basics-your playing will improve and you'll know how to improvise efficently. If you're part of ANY blues jam, you really have to know what's going on.
I'd say Clapton, Perry, and John.

edit: and oh yeah me
Honorary Masshole. PM SOADFanSince'98 to join

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner....
Quote by SaulHudson
I know Slash doesn't know much theory at all, and Clapton is a theory god. Don't know for sure about the others though.
Really? He must not show it too much in his music.
I remember Frusciante saying he already knew everything they were teaching him at music school and that he only enrolled so his daddy would pay his bills.
It takes time to lean. its beneficial no matter what, nothing bad can come out of it atleast thats what i think
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Sausages. Don't really know for sure. Most improv I'd say.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
Quote by The Madcap
Really? He must not show it too much in his music.

Seriously? Listen to his Derek and the Dominoes stuff. There's so much going on at once, but its perfect. Live Cream is a good representation as well.
none of them.
The only way it's really that useful is if your going to college for music.
and I seriously doubt Frusciante knew everything they were teaching him in music school, If He did, It really doesn't show. Most blues based players ignore theory altogehter.

Seriously? Listen to his Derek and the Dominoes stuff. There's so much going on at once, but its perfect. Live Cream is a good representation as well.

He's a great guitar player but he doesn't seem like the theoretical type.
He seems more like he just wings it, like i said most blues based players ignore theory.

Edit: when I said the only way it's useful is if your going to college i meant sight reading not theory
Last edited by that1l)ude at Sep 12, 2007,
John Frusciante knows a lot of theory, just because he doesn't employ all of it doesnt mean anything. He uses lots of complex chords in his solo work
John Frusciante knows a lot of theory, just because he doesn't employ all of it doesnt mean anything. He uses lots of complex chords in his solo work

well it's a shame he wastes all of his knowledge, if he really does.
Clapton doesnt know theory.
He knows how music works, but not in a theory sense.
If he didnt know how music works after a career that long though...

Page and Perry are the only two on there as far as I know.
Most of them probobaly know like, this is G, This is G minor etc. But not why.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by that1l)ude
none of them.
The only way it's really that useful is if your going to college for music.
and I seriously doubt Frusciante knew everything they were teaching him in music school, If He did, It really doesn't show. Most blues based players ignore theory altogehter.

He's a great guitar player but he doesn't seem like the theoretical type.
He seems more like he just wings it, like i said most blues based players ignore theory.

Edit: when I said the only way it's useful is if your going to college i meant sight reading not theory

Most blues players actually DO know theory (at least in my experience). What would make you think blues players "just wing it"?
Most blues players actually DO know theory (at least in my experience). What would make you think blues players "just wing it"?

thats common knowledge.
They don't really need it though, since blues is such simple and all about a less is more attitude.
I'm not bashing them, but they themselves are proud of it.
If a bunch of snot nosed kids on a guitar website know a bit of thoery I would be very surprised to find that any of those people couldn't tell you what the difference was between a G major and minor chord other than SOUNDS DIFFERENT
Quote by Tophue
If a bunch of snot nosed kids on a guitar website know a bit of thoery I would be very surprised to find that any of those people couldn't tell you what the difference was between a G major and minor chord other than SOUNDS DIFFERENT

Obviously, a G major would have a B natural, while the minor would contain a B flat.
If a bunch of snot nosed kids on a guitar website know a bit of thoery I would be very surprised to find that any of those people could tell you what the difference was between a G major and minor chord other than SOUNDS DIFFERENT

If i'm the snot nosed kid you were referring to then, a
G major contains the notes G,B,D, while a g Minor contains a flattened 3rd or G,Bb,D

Edit: Beaten to it.
No you guys have it all wrong. I was saying that I would be very surprised if none of those FAMOUS MUSICIANS knew the theoretical difference, as someone before me said they didn't
I know John Frusciante can read music.

I dont really care about the others LOL
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
No you guys have it all wrong. I was saying that I would be very surprised if none of those FAMOUS MUSICIANS knew the theoretical difference, as someone before me said they didn't

Some famous musicians do, but ones who play simple music have no need to learn it, which are mostly the ones who get famous. I'm not trying to be an asshole, i just seriously doubt anyone who makes a good living off of money of playing music where learning theory would have no benefit would learn it.
Edit: and maybe some of them can read music and or know theory, the bottom line is if they did, they wasted they're time, because they didn't need to.
Clapton knows theory.

Or, if he doesn't , he has a really good musical brain. I forget where, but I saw him improve with an Eastern group playing Indian music with quarter pitches and stuff. He was bending the pitches. It was crazy.
I don't really see the point of learning to read sheet msuic. Tabs have made them obsolete, being free, easy to read and available at the click of a button.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by that1l)ude
well it's a shame he wastes all of his knowledge, if he really does.

Simplicity has its own beauty in music
Ahhh.............I've been playing guitar for eight years, And only started taking music lessons a month ago.......

It seems to be pointless at it is now, (because Im learning the STRIAGHT UP BASIC STUFF)
But in due time it will get more complex, I've never played such simple stuff in years.
The UG churches Tabernacle maintenence guy.

I suvived the Bannecide.
Quote by TDKshorty
I know John Frusciante can read music.

I dont really care about the others LOL

thats a lie. Im a big frusciante fan. And a year ago I did exstensive research on him.

I learned that he took fromal music lessons twice (I mean two classes), At the age of sixteen. But he was already into cocaine. And he skipped his classes to snort.

Im not saying he isn't brilliant...Because he is. He does tend to know alot about his theory and modes, And that fancy stuff. But he cant read music. Much like myself.
The UG churches Tabernacle maintenence guy.

I suvived the Bannecide.
Jimi doesn't know how to read music at all. Completely self-taught, apparently he doesn't even know what notes he's playing in and re-named most of the basic notes and keys as colors when he was teaching his songs to the band.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Jimmy Page was a session man at one point so I assume he can read music. Most rock musicians don't sit down with a pen and paper and compose though, they just memorize it. Learning music is helpful if you want to arrange and stuff like that though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm