Im pretty new to bass, and I was just wondering what kind of bass to get.

Im a pretty casual musician, and dont plan on playing bass in any bands, its more just to play and learn, just so I know how.

Right now I'm looking at a cheap 5-string and a cheap fretless, and was just wondering if that extra string is really necesary, and also how different a fretless bass sounds.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Neither.

4-string. Fender P-bass.

5-string/fretless is too advanced for a beginner.

+1, theres no way you could play a fretless in tune if you're just starting out.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I dont mean to bash your advice or anything, but I've played guitar for a long time and have played bass before, so I don't think a 5-string would be 'too advanced", and the fretless still has the dots along the side, so I don't have to just trust my ears.
Quote by Megalomaniac16
I dont mean to bash your advice or anything, but I've played guitar for a long time and have played bass before, so I don't think a 5-string would be 'too advanced", and the fretless still has the dots along the side, so I don't have to just trust my ears.

Guitar and bass aren't the same instrument, don't be mistaken in thinking that "bass is easier because it has less strings" or anything like that, it's as hard as you make it. As for a five string, personally I think they're easier to play, but don't start on a fretless, just cos it has neck dots doesnt mean you'll be in tune. Because with a fretted bass the fret stops the string and determines the pitch, but with a fretless your finger has to be exactly where the fret is. So start on a fretted, and move to a fretless.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
Guitar and bass aren't the same instrument, don't be mistaken in thinking that "bass is easier because it has less strings" or anything like that, it's as hard as you make it. As for a five string, personally I think they're easier to play, but don't start on a fretless, just cos it has neck dots doesnt mean you'll be in tune. Because with a fretted bass the fret stops the string and determines the pitch, but with a fretless your finger has to be exactly where the fret is. So start on a fretted, and move to a fretless.

x2.
i actually started on fretless, and i found it workable, but pretty difficult, i borrowed it, and i figured i would buy a fretted as soon as i had the money but for the first month or so i used the fretted, just to get the feel of the instrument, it was difficult and i wouldn't recommend it

you might want to get a five string though, if you tune it EADGB it might make it easier for you to switch, you're not restricted to 4 you're only losing one string, but i don't think its necessary 4 should be fine if its just a hobby
Yea having a 5 string is nice, saves you from having to switch to drop d tuning all the time, or if you prefer you can put on a high C if that's more your thing.

I wouldn't start on a fretless, for the same reasons others have stated. 5 strings is not too much for a beginner though, especially if you have any other kind of music experience
Quote by chillbeast
Yea having a 5 string is nice, saves you from having to switch to drop d tuning all the time, or if you prefer you can put on a high C if that's more your thing.

I wouldn't start on a fretless, for the same reasons others have stated. 5 strings is not too much for a beginner though, especially if you have any other kind of music experience

I got rid of my five string in favor of four, but I liked it and it is nice to have the extra range so... ^+1
Uh why are you guys saying fretless is too hard to learn on? How do you think people start playing double bass?
Quote by fortysix&2
Uh why are you guys saying fretless is too hard to learn on? How do you think people start playing double bass?

Yeah, seriously. Besides, it's not like violin players start on a fretted violin.

Anyway, I'd say go for whatever suits your interests. I actually got a 5-string fretless, so I have both areas covered. I couldn't even tell which part I enjoy more.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
you can start out on a fretless, but I think of it more as "starting a videogame on hard dificulty"

Here is a tip, get something you can use as a reference for learning your intonation though. That is why everyone suggest a fretted bass first.
I started playing on double bass years before I played bass guitar and it is a lot harder to learn on a fretless instrument if you have any kind of ear. It's frustrating to hear the wrong pitch come out constantly, and most people who pick up a bass with the intent to learn it aren't the same as people that end up playing double bass or fretless bass guitar. I really do think that it is too hard for a lot of people, granted those aren't the people who become real musicians as megalo already seems to be with his guitar playing. Still, playing a fretted is a lot less hastle, a lot more fun(for a beginner, and a much more friendly and comfortable way to laern
Quote by chillbeast

I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times... a 5 string does NOT always save you from having to switch to drop D tuning. Would you rather play:

E 10---8----7-----8---12
B-----3----3----3----3----3

or

D-- 12-0-10-0-9-0-10-14-0

in sixteenth notes at 200 bpm?
I seriously thought this was going to turn into another NSG/avant-garde thread for a moment there.

And yeah I have a 5 string, but i'm going back to 4 with my next purchase. You'd think it would be awesome having that extra low note, but it's nothing special.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.