Page 1 of 2
Im gonna steal an idea I had a long time ago where I'd take reviews of various pedals and review them/get reviews for other people. Unfortunately that thread died overtime and I realize now that it was too broad as I covered every pedal type. Hendrixo's success of the wah thread is proof of this...so Im starting the delay thread.

If you have any questions what delay YOU should get...ask them here and clean up the forum of unnecessary threads.
Boss:

DD-3
DD-6
DD-20
RE-20

Electro-Harmonix:

Deluxe Memory Man: "great pedal, super lovely analogue delay, real nice sounding, and its self-ocsillation rules when you wanna play around" - Hakanku
Stereo Memory Man
Stereo Memory Man with Hazerai
#1 Delay
16-second delay

Moog:
MF-104Z

Maxon:
AD-999

Ibanez
DE7:
AD9:

Fab/Danelectro:
Echo:
Pb & J:
Reel Tape:
DE1
DJ3:

Line 6:
Echo Park
DL-4

Digitech:

Digidelay

Marshall:
Echohead

Fulltone:
Tape Delay:

Visual Sounds:
H20

I got alot of homework tonight, so I cant write any reviews as of right now, but I wanted to the thread out there so people could submit some of their own and ask questions too.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Last edited by HeartInACage at Sep 13, 2007,

This threads always fail. Its unfortunate but they do.

Under ibanez don't for get the AD-230 Its one of the best delays of all time. Ibanez dm1000/dm2000 is good too.
The Marshall Echohead beats the **** out of the BOSS's
just have to say that.

I really want an EHX Deluxe memory man, but theyre so goddamn expensive
I keep telling myself to pickup a Visual Sound H2O, but it always seems to get pushed to the back of my list for other pedals, such as an OCD, Whammy and a Holy Grail.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
The echohead doesnt have tap tempo tho, which is pretty sweet when you need it.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Incase this thread is an Epic Win, i want to be on page 1, so yeah. I find that Delay is pretty easy to screw up if you put to much, so i try and avoid stuff that delays it too much...unless you want that really psycidelic vibe
I love my H20. Also because its a chorus pedal as well. But for a s00per simple analog sounding delay, its awesome.
Quote by HeartInACage
The echohead doesnt have tap tempo tho, which is pretty sweet when you need it.

yeah it does!

BTW: I had no idea the H2O was a delay....I thought it was just a chorus
Quote by -heartbreaker-
BTW: I had no idea the H2O was a delay....I thought it was just a chorus

Yeah, most all VisualSound pedals are two pedals in one.

H20 - chorus/delay
Jekyll and Hyde - OD/Distortion
Route 66 - OD/Compressor

I think theyre a good deal too. I sell the H20 at work for like $150, and youre getting two pro quality effects with it.
for a simple slapback, imo the 1echo is a good choice for those that cant afford to spend a lot of money. its 2sec time is longer and it is decent enough sounding for its price.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
TC Electronics Nova Delay
the best delay ever
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
^i tried one 2 days ago. excellent stuff there and ill be getting one real soon. still are the boutique delays like the echoczar, eventide tine factor, pigtronix echolution, MP and a few others. though i'd prefer a modded DD3 or the MP deep blue delay for size reasons.
The EHX DMM is a great pedal, super lovely analogue delay, real nice sounding, and its self-ocsillation rules when you wanna play around
if anyone would like to write reviews for anything, please pm or just write em here and ill post em up
I might be getting the Marshall Echohead soon, so I might PM you a review on it.
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Schecter Tempest Custom
Yamaha EG-112
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior Head
Epiphone Valve Junior Cabinet
Boutique Handwired BYOC Digital Delay ftw!!!

made by ShotRod Guitar Works

totally transparent, can't get so much delay time, but bout 300ms. i can live with it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I moved from a DD-3 to a Line 6 DL4. Although the DD-3 was a better delay pedal, the DL4 is way more versatile for what I need and can hit a variety of delay types pretty good (U2, Stero delay, Tape echo...Coverband stuff)

I still have the DD-3, though because I'm not 100% convinced on the DL4.
You wanna write a review for those? It doesnt have to be really long, just enough to get an a clear opinion and what it can do/what its good for
The Deluxe Memory Man is so awesome! It has a nice versatility to it and a warm tone to it. The chorus/vibrato option is a very handy one too, and although the chorus is nice and rich, the vibrato is just amazing. I love it
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
i got a dd-20
honestly its so much overkill i dont' think i need all the stuff it has .
Is the chorus on the memory man deluxe still usable or its better to get an other chorus seperatly? and if i only need chorus and slapback is the MMD still the best option cause I see lots of people mentioning the H20...?
I'm a tone wh0re and a gear slut.
I'm seriously considering getting the H20 after my amp. It's rediculous though, because my "gear wishlist" has gotten so big over the past month or so. H20 looks great though, cause it's two great effects that can be used at the same time.
Quote by Sabbath-ologist
Is the chorus on the memory man deluxe still usable or its better to get an other chorus seperatly? and if i only need chorus and slapback is the MMD still the best option cause I see lots of people mentioning the H20...?

I love the chorus on my H20. Its very warm and lush. With only 3 dials you can make it sound like a phaser, or make it have a cool leslie like sound.
the DL4. Man i've tried to like that thing. If you want a review on that i'll give one:

DL4 tries to do to much and does none of it overly well. First off the effect is far too subtle, it kinda sits off in the background twists and pecks and swirls kinda just behind the guitar. my buddy got a vht tube driven effects loop deal and it helped it alot, but i still was not impressed. He eventually got a memory man cuz he liked the settings on the DL4 for a memory man(which is about the only setting that was alright because a memory man sounds awesome for adding subtle nuances to a tone and subtle is all the DL4 can do). when you compare head to head the DL4 and the memory man though, it is just not a contest, memory man sounds WAY more bold than the emulator on the DL4. That being said it has a sampler on it that goes for some ungodly 16 seconds or something. There is also a tempo tap button that has a real good feel to it. The layout is useful with 4 buttons down there but the knobs change to every freaking emulated delay, mind you they are roughly the same but it is still alot of changes. i would prefer having the same control over all delays it emulates, it would make it easier to tweak you delay on the fly. The trippier delays on the unit are to eratic, airy sounding, and hard to control. There is a little jem with the unit, it has a expression pedal controller, unfortunately it controls different parameters for each modeled delay.

it really is a shame i wanted to like this thing so many times, i really really did. it had things on it that i really like, the 4 controller buttons for extra control of what yer doing, the expression pedal input, and the super long sample rate. But alas i couldn't get the thing to sound strong, all the delays are so weak. Sorry DL4 yer not my bag.

that said i use a dd6, it is upfront, easy to control, hands on, and the delays are as strong and dramatic as you want. heavily recommended for an intro delay.

i would love to hear anything about the moog 104Z
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
after the dl-4 is modded it sharts all over the memory man. people hype the DMM up way too much. i can think of 7 or 8 delay pedals off the bat that piss all over it. and when you get into tape and oil delays its not even on the food chain.
I love my DL-4, its so versatile. I hope to get it modded by Mr Keeley sometime. I havent had it for very long (about 2 months), but I think its pretty awesome. I had completely the opposite problem to the other guy because the delay sounds over power everything when I use it. Ive sorted it out now and Ive got a subtle delay which I can use for solo's or as a sort of reverby effect for clean stuff (until I get a reverb pedal), and some trippy effects for the other channels. I particularly like the Sweep echo on it. I would give the DL-4 8/10 because its really versatile, got lots of great sounds etc, but the other guy was right, it does try to do to much and alot of the different delays sound pretty much the same. Fortunately, they sound good
Quote by ECistheBest
Boutique Handwired BYOC Digital Delay ftw!!!

made by ShotRod Guitar Works

totally transparent, can't get so much delay time, but bout 300ms. i can live with it.

You can mod it to get up to 600ms delay time though can't you? I hope so coz I'm gonna get one from BYOC for about that amount of delay time and mod it so it can.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
^yea u can. i just haven't done it yet. i might take off the self oscilation cuz it seems like it can't do some delay for leads. it gets too loud.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i lveo the digidelay, does all the stuff the DD-6 does (exept it has a 4 second record time instead of a 5.2 second.), for less than the price of the DD-3.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
For the little I use it, my Line 6 Echo Park works great. It can't do everything, but it comes close.
I love the delay on "Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell," it rocks!
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
byoc ftw thats what i got, im thinkin about upping it to 600 ms. also mine self-oscilates w/ the 15k in it ( dont know what thats about)
^^run like hell is a lot of delay. with my BYOC delay with self-oscilation, it sounds like the ceiling's gonna fall down on my head when i do muted strums and pick scrapes. its killer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TheReFiller
I love the delay on "Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell," it rocks!

Indeed. However, without the Flanger it sounds a bit dry and plain. The combination of the two is what gives the tone its character IMO.
wow, im pleasantly suprised to see this thread alive again. I thought it had pretty much failed

and ill update this weekend...i just have waaay too much work this week. homework is definitely a b!tch...
Just a question. I want to get into experimenting with oscillation with a phaser and delay and i'm wondering what delay will oscillate for a while without blowing my speaker coz my DD-3 gets ridiculously loud very quickly.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Page 1 of 2