Page 1 of 2
So it seems like everyone has they're say on what is "good music". What do YOU think makes good music? What do you think makes bad music? It's all an opinion no fights please let's all get along
i say teh guitar solos
but then again its coming from a guitarist so ....
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Good music = music that is good, and bad music = music that is bad; like DUUUUUUUUH!!!

Personally, though, I see the two defining characteristics of good music as originality and authenticity, and the two defining characteristics of bad music and derivativeness and superficiality.

I couldn't care less what instrumentation is involved or what "genre" it falls under.
Last edited by yawn at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by yawn
Good music = music that is good, and bad music = music that is bad; like DUUUUUUUUH!!!
spot on yawn...nicely played
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Soul, effort, and image.

If the music doesn't have any meaning and isn't passionate, then what's the point of it existing?

Their ability to play their instruments right or at least sound like it. Any guitarist can play powerchords, but there are a few bands who pull off enough of the image and soul card that make them worth listening too

And image, what their views are. Certainly you wouldn't listen to a band if they were Nazi Lesbian hookers who were supposedly abducted by aliens and forced to promote weight loss programs...wait...I'm in the pit...anyways, if they were against my beliefs, then I wouldn't listen to them...depending on who they are xD
The Pit. The Movie.
id say the ear of the beholder makes music good or not

/thread
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
anything that sounds good!
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Virtuoso guitarists, drummers with the speed of a demon, singers with the voice of an angel, bassists who wear those funky hats that Samuel Jackson wears backwards, All of those make good music.
Quote by RageAgainst...
spot on, yawn...nicely played
I edited my post to make it more submissive and boring. =/
Originality.
Lyrics.
Instruments.
Passion.

Chyea dude.

Member of the No-Testicle Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!

Founder of the 'I'm Abstaining From Sex Until Marriage And Damn Proud Of It!' Club. PM me to join!
And image, what their views are. Certainly you wouldn't listen to a band if they were Nazi Lesbian hookers who were supposedly abducted by aliens and forced to promote weight loss programs...wait...I'm in the pit...anyways, if they were against my beliefs, then I wouldn't listen to them...depending on who they are xD

I hate the whole sex, drugs, and booze attitude, yet i like Led Zeppelin and Guns And Roses,.
Image Doesn't really matter to me.

Good music is completely subjective. everyone has the right to their opinion.
Quote by that1l)ude
I hate the whole sex, drugs, and booze attitude, yet i like Led Zeppelin and Guns And Roses,.
Image Doesn't really matter to me.

Good music is completely subjective. everyone has the right to their opinion.

Actually, the same here. I realized when I wrote that I didn't really believe it myself xD I was just ranting.

I hate the sex and drugs crap. I mean there's a few good song where they wittingly mention it, but song dedicated and celebrating it really just get on my nerves
The Pit. The Movie.
Catchiness.

I don't care how brilliant the songwriting is, or how skilled the musicians are. It gotsta be catchy.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Just some mellow acoustic **** I can listen to while I kick it on the front porch with some beer. I like some mellow/funky blues. G.Love is a good example.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Music doesn't have to have feeling put into it to be good.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Intelligence, Sincerity, Originality and Rhythm
England is mine and it owes me a living
Pretty much anything that can envoke an emotional response in the audience, whatever genre it may fall into. Originality and strong rhythms are a personal favourite for me too
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by yawn

Personally, though, I see the two defining characteristics of good music as originality and authenticity, and the two defining characteristics of bad music and derivativeness and superficiality.

I couldn't care less what instrumentation is involved or what "genre" it falls under.

+1

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
well, i tend to favor certain genres of music, but i can respect music that is true and from the heart and soul. originality is always a plus, but i've had some of the most powerful experiences in music performing covers with my band, because we add our unique spin to it every time.
how well the music ties in with each instrument, and all of the subtle bass lines, and carefully hit cymbals on the drums make it all the better. for guitarists, harnessing the feedback and all sorts of other little tricks here and there (when they fit of course) makes a good song.

i think bad music is something that is just thrown together with no emotion or thought put into it. any type of music that follows the trends of the day, and sounds exactly like other songs of the same genre.

and some rap music is pretty bad in my opinion. rap can be a creative form of expressing yourself, but when you're expressing how cool you are, how much money you have, how many girls you have, or saying the same 3 words over and over, then you're not making music... you're making money.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by British_Steal
groove
and catchyness

all without being gay
I thought Queen was good music...

Quote by combs08
Originality.
Lyrics.
Instruments.
Passion.

Chyea dude.
What about 'da instrumental music? =/
Interesting vocal melody (this is big with me. too many dull singers)

Guitar isn't mixed to the back and is still prominent and can carry and harmonize well with the vocals

A bass line that isn't just root notes of chords

No cliches (another big one)

Overall, it just needs a unique, adventurous sound. A little dissonance couldn't hurt either. Too many radio-friendly songs out there now.
Anything that makes you feel is basically the way all my favorite songs are. Technical ability is good but not nessacary. All of you guys forgot Tension and release! thats like the biggest thing
Last edited by bTOMd at Sep 12, 2007,
There is no "good music". There is music that requires a higher talent, understanding an virtuosity to create than others, but what is "good" is relative to the listener.
Quote by The Madcap
There is no "good music". There is music that requires a higher talent, understanding an virtuosity to create than others, but what is "good" is relative to the listener.

That's kind of the point of the thread -for people to define what their personal preferences in music are.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by British_Steal
groove
and catchyness

all without being gay

so what do you listen to?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
For me it's all about the songwriting and the feeling I get from it. Like Brand New and Taking Back Sunday, their songs aren't hard, but they still give a feeling and you can relate to the feeling. When I mean bad music, I mean more like the bass not keeping time the guitars out of tune, playing in the wrong key, stuff like that; or when you notice it has yet to be more developed.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
A song that provokes one of my emotions. Whether it be happy, depressing, angering, or just gets your blood pumping, I will listen to it.
All music is good, some is just less appreciated than others
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser aka Frederick
Epiphone G-310
Boss Metal Zone Distortion pedal
Crate GT1200H Head
Crate G412SL Half stack
and some strings,
and some picks of assorted sizes

www.myspace.com/todaysescape
Check us out!
A song that believes what it's saying.

Also, a song that makes me believe what it's saying.

I say this much more generally and metaphorically than it seems.
There are a bunch of different factors that go into what I consider "good music."

Melody is not always one of them.

I enjoy repitition. I can take a good deal of it, as well.

I lurve 'droning' tones. If Ravi Shankar made black metal, I think I would dedicate my existence to worshipping that band.

I don't really give a shit if it's catchy or not.

Not much else to say, I guess.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
for me, good music is when a song can move you emotionally or changes you mood regardless of genre.
Revolution of the bands is NOW!!!
Good music to me is any song that simply sounds good, has a nice beat, and is catchy. If the songwriters are also brilliantly talented then thats just icing on the cake, but all I care about is if it sounds good.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
There are a bunch of different factors that go into what I consider "good music."

Melody is not always one of them.

I enjoy repitition. I can take a good deal of it, as well.

I lurve 'droning' tones. If Ravi Shankar made black metal, I think I would dedicate my existence to worshipping that band.

I don't really give a shit if it's catchy or not.

Not much else to say, I guess.

Hmm, I always was of the mind that repitition is only good if what they are repeating is worth hearing more than once. LIke an epic buildup is worth it, (The Smiths, Sonic Youth, etc), but if it's all the same yell and stomp stuff, I could care less. For instance, (though I'm sure I'll get flamed), I can't stand AC/DC or The Ramones. Yes, I respect them as musicians, but every song is exactly like the last, and I hate that. So when I do hear a song that is slightly better than its predecessors, it devalues it because I feel like I've heard that same thing so many times before.
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
Page 1 of 2