Page 1 of 2
alright this is another thread im starting since ive decided against the explorer and towards building something a little bit more exciting. these guitars will be a part of an experiment that i will be conducting, the experiment is how do different bridge types affect the sustain on guitars. i will be building three all right handed H/H carved top guitars all with different bridge types. so far what ive done is bookmatched one of the three half inch curly maple tops it has amazing curl it might be better than the figure on the top used on my last build. since the backs will be a solid color i wanna go with alder or ash or something like that although if a natural back fits the build i could go mahogany or walnut. i am in need of suggestions for these builds, so far i have a general idea of what im building but nothing is completely decided upon at all. one of these will be given to my brother, and the other two have undecided futures.

so please, leave as many ideas as you can think of, they would be greatly appreciated.

in about an hour ill post a picture of the book-matched top i put together, there is one not on each side, but they will not interfere at all with where the guitar is, i got lucky.
well since its HH go with a double cut LP, LP, SG, flying V, or put a three neck together, with different bridges on each neck
do like a parker fly... that would be tight! put a floyd rose on it and i will buy it from you!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
yeah with a floyd rose... that would be freakin' sexy..... i want one!!! will you build one for me? with some emg 707's?
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
i dont know if ill be building a seven string, i was just thinking of doing 6 strings.

edit

that looks pretty cool i gotta get some templates. and look at the carve and stuff some more but i think this is the front runner.
Last edited by carousel182 at Sep 12, 2007,
yeah but you didn't answer me!!!! will you?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
EMG Active pickups... Brilliant idea for an experiment on sustain...

I still say the Framus Diabo Custom body.
was that sarcasm? cause i was talking about the one he would build for me! if not then thanks... if it was the.....*evil glower*
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
i could do that but i couldn't tell you when it'd be done somewhere between now and december though. the carve is pretty intense on the backs of these parker flys. what i could do is make it a bolt on with ferrules. im really not sure about this carve though id need alot of pictures or to actually see one in person.
ah lol about the sustain experiment though, i would be doing it on all the guitars first before i finish them. im just gonna plug in probably a golden age humbucker from stewmac and one volume pot. but after i strum the one note and record it i will finish these and add whatever hardware is wanted.
i will do some research and find some of the carves with a good shot! im not in a really big hurry to pay for a guitar so take your time... make yours first and if you like it then make mine the same way.. but yeah..... will get you pics in your pms!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
dont worry im in no rush to get rid of them after they are built. they will probably sit around for a while before i put hardware on em and get rid of them actually.
here is a video i found on the site... think this will help a lot.

http://www.parkerguitars.com/images/footer_main_11.jpg
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
that still seems very hard to do especially since i need to do 3 maybe after these 3. i guess now im leaning towards the Framus Diabo Custom still.
why three more?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by SchecterFreak
why three more?

Dude, do you not read his posts? He is making 3 identical guitars with different bridges to see how the bridges affect sustain... That has been said on numerous occassions now between the two threads.
well even just the mojo would be cool with the nitefly style carve at the top.
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by eXperiment63
Did that file I sent help you any?

it helped alot thanks alot for that.
okay but what i got was 6 guitars total..why would he need 6 i understand the guitars for the bridges.. and were you making fun of me before when you said about the emg actives being good?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
It was a poke at your suggestion, yes.

He isn't making 6 guitars, at least that I can discern. He is saying that maybe ocne these 3 are finished, he will attempt the Parker style carve. He feels it would be too hard to try and make 3 exact copies of that at the moment.
okay.. well the emgs were for the guitar that i want! i asked him if he would build me one with the emg 707's in it then he said he would do a six string but not a seven. so i asked about an 81/85 set for the six.... so... yeah. oh well it was just a suggestion.
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by SchecterFreak
okay.. well the emgs were for the guitar that i want! i asked him if he would build me one with the emg 707's in it then he said he would do a six string but not a seven. so i asked about an 81/85 set for the six.... so... yeah. oh well it was just a suggestion.

Ah, I thought you meant for his experiment he is doing. If that isn't the case, my mistake.

Honestly though, don't get the EMGs. Get some high quality passive pickups, much mroe versatile.
That is some nicely figured wood and will look great in trans-black nirvana in the form of a Diablo Custom. ;P
now i have two of those left to make, you would never believe how much curly maple i have. i have two 8 quarter 12 footers that are like 8 inch wide and 2 4 quarter 12 footers that are around 8 inches too. all with amazing figure i dont know whats gonna happen with them yet. i also have a bunch of mahogany, walnut, and i could buy ash or poplar. for fretboards i have enough indian rosewood for 1 board but ill have to buy some ebony or more rose wood. so yea, im set with wood. so ill probably getting started with the work in the next two weeks. with this project. but until then ill need tons of suggestions and ideas.
so if you build me my guitar would i have to pay upfront or when it was all done?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
why not just make 1 guitar, first do the fender bridge test, then drill it for tom, and then do FR? and test them as you go
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
i dont think it would cover the tom stopbar holes at all, or the string through ferrule holes.
^^ That seems like a logical idea. The wood and the build would all affect the sustain so for it to be as accurate as possible you should be using the same guitar with just different bridges.

You could go like hardtail > TOM > Strat trem > Floyd rose.
It would cover the bridge bit I'm pretty sure but maybe not the stop-bar/string through holes.

Depends how accurate you want this to be really I guess. If you just wanna see the difference building 3 different guitars would work fine but if you want the best accuracy possible then you'd have to use the same guitar with different bridges and I guess that would mean it wouldn't be perfect. A few stray holes and etc.
three guitars made with the same wood (from the same board) in the same method should be exactly the same basically. good enough for me atleast
I'm just thinking out here, but wouldn't carving the tops add another variable that could affect sustain? Wouldn't a flat top be more consistant?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
I'm just thinking out here, but wouldn't carving the tops add another variable that could affect sustain? Wouldn't a flat top be more consistant?

I'm going to have to agree with him, unless you can do it so exact or are using a CNC, theres going to be added variables.
Page 1 of 2