Page 1 of 2
What do you like need to know to be an actual guitarist. I've just been playing tabs for the first year, and I know that's not how you become one. I want to know how you just jam on it freely (I want to be a classical and shred guitarist), what do I need to know to do this? At this point I know some chord construction theory, guitar techniques (sweep picking, economy picking, etc.), and like 2 scales. Any helpful advice is appreciated.
if youve had a couple of gigs in public places.... and came out in one piece with your pride intact... not a single object has been thrown into the stage and a couple of chicks gave yo their phone number

then you my friend can call yourself a guitarist
Last edited by just17n8 at Sep 12, 2007,
I didn't consider myself a guitarist until I was able to write my own stuff. But thinking back, I think that's when I was able to call myself a musician, so I'm not sure.
It's when you put emotion into music. It's when you make it your own, when you understand what you're playing. It's not if you can sweep or play 16ths at 200, it's when you really understand the instrument and you can play anything on it and make it sound beautiful.
Quote by just17n8
if youve had a couple of gigs in public places.... and came out in one piece with your pride intact... now a single object has been thrown into the stage and a couple of chicks gave yo their phone number

then you my friend can call yourself a guitarist

i like that

also when youve written your own song
and chicks liked it =D
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
and start writing your own songs and licks.... what you write -no matter how bad it is- is ten times more valuable than any tabs youve memorized

edit: PLAYIND GUITAR AND BEING A GUITARIST IS NOT THE SAME THING!!
remember that
Last edited by just17n8 at Sep 12, 2007,
I conside that you become a guitarist, or a musician of any sort, when you can contribute something to an ensemble or group of musicians, or create/compose/play a presentable solo piece (That could be something like and acoustic guitar and singing, composing for a band (à l Trent Reznor), or even more rigid classic forms of music .

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
my real question is how do you just like sit there with your guitar and just play freely w/o tabs?
Quote by Xyab
my real question is how do you just like sit there with your guitar and just play freely w/o tabs?

*laughs*
*a lot*
improvising
its real easy
and memorizing
Quote by metul kult

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
*laughs*
*a lot*
improvising
its real easy
and memorizing

improvise and memorize what?
check it out man, first off ya gotta hear something inside of your head that you want to hear. If your familiar with a few chords and scales then try to fit the tones to what you hear inside of ya noggin. And something not a lot of people will tell ya: its a visualization thing. Picture what you want your hand to do in your mind, and work at it until it clicks. If you practice enough, and make it a point to let people hear you play, then eventually, who knows?
eh
just learn you basic open chords
some cord progressions
like 20 songs
a bunch of guitar solos
scales
and some theory

and then its no problem sitting there playing guitar
Quote by metul kult

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
eh
just learn you basic open chords
some cord progressions
like 20 songs
a bunch of guitar solos
scales
and some theory

and then its no problem sitting there playing guitar

OPEN CHORDS!!! Thats the word I was looking for.
Quote by dominion8
check it out man, first off ya gotta hear something inside of your head that you want to hear. If your familiar with a few chords and scales then try to fit the tones to what you hear inside of ya noggin. And something not a lot of people will tell ya: its a visualization thing. Picture what you want your hand to do in your mind, and work at it until it clicks. If you practice enough, and make it a point to let people hear you play, then eventually, who knows?

thanks a lot, i got it now
Well, the chicks dig 2/3 power chord song with some whiny singer. There was this group over at my towns festival. these 2 extremely hot chicks, both in my class, were right there. the guitarist had a Mesa/boogie half stack and a jem. but guess what? 2 power chords... thats right not even 3. and there was a group playing yyz right next to them, like almost perfectly. the tone wasnt EXactly the same, because he didnt have the right equipment, but everything else was perfect.
Quote by Xyab

I learned the MAJOR SCALE and the PENTA... the BLUES SCALE, i then learned the notes on my low E string (E open, F 1st fret, F# etc. You'll see a pattern) after i learned all that , which doesn't take long, tuned my radio to a popular mix station and tried to guess which KEY the song was in and which scale sounds best. Major or blues scale? should it be a minor scale? After i figured out the key and which scale i just played the scale up and down to the beat of the song. Over time it became second nature for me to change the scale up with the song and then i started to use more than just one box of the scale.

Chords were a different story.
Quote by Bloodycrass
learn powerchords and you're a guitarist

You're kidding....right?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
You're a guitarist when you can sit there and just jam, just play and know what will sound good.

To do that, you need to have an understanding of keys, scales, power chords, etc. and how they fit together. Basically learning how to improvise solos and know from experience or theory what chords will sound good together.
My advice, learn power chords, and then learn the minor pentatonic scale then expand on that.
Kattttt.
According to some of your guys definitions I'm already a guitarist. But I have to say most chicks have a bad sense of who's actually a guitarist, I mean seriously this one girl saw me play the chorus of "sugar" (I was teaching my friend) and she was all amazed and ****. Also your a guitarist when you can improvise well in any genre of music.
Quote by star250
I learned the MAJOR SCALE and the PENTA... the BLUES SCALE, i then learned the notes on my low E string (E open, F 1st fret, F# etc. You'll see a pattern) after i learned all that , which doesn't take long, tuned my radio to a popular mix station and tried to guess which KEY the song was in and which scale sounds best. Major or blues scale? should it be a minor scale? After i figured out the key and which scale i just played the scale up and down to the beat of the song. Over time it became second nature for me to change the scale up with the song and then i started to use more than just one box of the scale.

Chords were a different story.

I'm intrigued to hear how the fudge you managed to LEARN the major scale and the minor pentatonic without learning the notes first...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn the chords, scales and a few songs, that is when you can call yourself 1. Actually it's when i can call myself 1 but oh well it's all the same.
thanks a lot guys, learning the notes on the strings now, then work on scales
Quote by steven seagull
I'm intrigued to hear how the fudge you managed to LEARN the major scale and the minor pentatonic without learning the notes first...

i did too
theyre patterns
easy
really easy
Quote by metul kult

Try learning some nirvana songs like Polly, which has a lot of basic chords you need to learn. Then move up into some nu-metal so you can work on speed.. At this point get some theory lessons. Play some metalcore (lamb of god, killswitch engage). Finally learn to play metal like Metallica and Sonata Arctica and you will be able to call yourself a guitarist (no not really, but this is a good way to learn the guitar without practicing scales for 6 hours a day)
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
i did too
theyre patterns
easy
really easy

if you learned them as patterns then you didn't learn the scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

+1

You really need to learn the notes on the fretboard. It is one of things that you can either:

1) Learn now and avoid and trouble in the future
2) Learn it later when you "have" to
3) Learn it through osmosis (read: time on the instument will teach you, 15 years though)

I would hate to jam with other guys and them say, "this is in the key of A" and me not knowing what to do.

Chris
The best piece of advice I can give to anybody is to learn things in the correct order - if you do that you'll learn a lot quicker and also a lot "better" in that you'll understand everything you doing. There are thousands of guitarists who look back at their early years and realise they wasted a huge chunk of time trying to learn the same thing several times over without realising it, simply because there was a little bit of knowledge that they negelcted to learn early on because it didn't seem interesting enough at the time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Broken-pick
You're kidding....right?

I don't think so... He has a Casualties avatar.
When you can't live without your guitar, you are a guitarist. The honeymoon period does end, but at that point, as long as your guitar is still around (not in the closet collecting dust...) and you pick it up when you have the chance and can still play, you're still a guitarist. Because it's ALWAYS calling for you to come over and give it some attention!
Quote by metal_man12
if you play the guitar, you are a guitarist.

ftw.
Quote by _Mayday_
Somehow; I thought it would be a better idea to show the bus driver my dick instead of my bus pass.
quick question, how do you know what chords sound good in what scale? do you just like grow into or is there a real way of understanding how?
Quote by Xyab
quick question, how do you know what chords sound good in what scale? do you just like grow into or is there a real way of understanding how?

That's theory, that is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Page 1 of 2