To experienced guitarists: I've been playing for a year and 9 months. So far i can play stuff like Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child O' Mine, Bohemian Rhapsody, What I Got, etc. I know how to go up and down the fretboard with almost all major and minor pentatic scales and know a few major scales. Am i alright at this point? Thx
Last edited by k00kie M0nster at Sep 12, 2007,
everyones learns at a different speed.... you should ask yourself if you like your playing

and you seem fine btw....
Yeah, 8+ years and I still don't know most scales and keys or very much music theory. I just jam out and play what I think sounds good.
listen to different styles of music... i could play punk, metal, rock, bluegrass,blues etc. around that point. broaden your taste. but good work
better than me, we're been playing the same amount of time pretty much, but all i play is metal, so you know.....i don't know "the classics"
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I'm at a year and 6 months and at basically the saem point as you in scales and soloing.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MoBscene
listen to different styles of music... i could play punk, metal, rock, bluegrass,blues etc. around that point. broaden your taste. but good work

I was just giving examples, my music taste is broader
Well ive been playing for around 1yr 1/1. Most complicated song i can play is punish my heaven. I just started getting into speedpicking, i wanna see how good i get in december.
there really is know set scale as to what is good at x amount of time you've been playing...it varies person to person

you should never become satisfied with your playing though...just keep on working and expanding your skills
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by k00kie M0nster
To experienced guitarists: I've been playing for a year and 9 months. So far i can play stuff like Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child O' Mine, Bohemian Rhapsody, What I Got, etc. I know how to go up and down the fretboard with almost all major and minor pentatic scales and know a few major scales. Am i alright at this point? Thx

i could play the verse of master of puppets, also the chorus and bridge solo. nothing else.
i could play barre chords fairly well at that point as well....

it sounds like you're coming along fairly well.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
I'm in your sig rofl.

Anyway, you know more than me. I play bass, know no theory, write out of sheer experimentation and hardly practise, but unlike most people here I dont want to be a superhero shred guitar player or pretentious classical/jazz/music with "emotion" player.
I think I was still holding my guitar the wrong way round then, it's taken a while to put it mildly.
England is mine and it owes me a living
I thought that i was wayyy behind people in the begining, i'd see people playing solos that i couldn't even think about playing and they'd only been playing a ocuple months more then me. Finally i decided that i'm never going to achieve what i want by looking and comparing myself to other people. Since then, i've improved drastically.. Now I'm able to improvise some simple **** over simple drum beats. It's all a matter of time really.. Satriani is an old man!... but he shreds, and you have to know that the future only holds more awesome things.

As for what to learn and focus on....My licks really started to develop once i became obsessed with blues and jazz guitar. Don't just learn scales, learn how to apply them.. Take time off from learning other peoples songs to sit down and jam your ass off. When your fingers bleed, get a soda, then start over. That's what I've been doing the past few months and its a lot of fun when you know what you're doing.

RageAgainst... has the right idea. Never be satisfied and you'll only become better. That's how i feel about guitar as well as my health. I never look at my triceps and think "these are nice!" Nah man, i look at them and go "Flabby pieces of **** need more work." Which is why i can do 20 reps of 450 with 'em.