is a squier affinity fat strat gonna FEEL the same as a fender strat? Just much lower quality noise of course...
erase this thread and save yourself from some serious ownage....

oo... it does not feel the same... the quality is much much of a difference
I have a fender and I've played my friends squire...I like it, its not exactly the same but with some new electronics its fine.
^Oh I was just wondering b/c when I upgrade I couldnt decide whether I would just put some money into the squire (I hear the affinities have pretty good wood) or buy a new gibby LP, or a strat. Looking for some strong bluesy tones, but something I can play with a decent range of sounds.
You have enough money for a Les Paul, but are considering a Squier? Honestly, if you have that kind of money, and want a Fender, get a Made in America Strat.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
i tried out a squier and a fender side by side, and imo the neck felt different on a MiM strat.

i think, for what its worth, MiM's have better quality control too? plus the material just felt different
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
plus most squires have bodies made of agathis, which i dont mind, because thats whats in my pacifica and i love it to death. its just people tend to hate agathis.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
plus most squires have bodies made of agathis, which i dont mind, because thats whats in my pacifica and i love it to death. its just people tend to hate agathis.

Affinity has Alder.

IMO, the necks feel worlds apart.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

i think i made my point. test them. find out yourself. they are very differnt
Quote by Mongoose87
You have enough money for a Les Paul, but are considering a Squier? Honestly, if you have that kind of money, and want a Fender, get a Made in America Strat.

Well I mean... if I can put a couple hundred into a guitar and love it, then why go out and spend money for a brand name?

Either way, yeah I'll just be going out to try a few when the time comes. thanks all.
Quote by Wiggly
is a squier affinity fat strat gonna FEEL the same as a fender strat? Just much lower quality noise of course...

I have both an Affinity Tele and a Std Tele. The Affinity doesn't feel exactly like the std but it plays and sounds great. The frets are level and the pups sound fine. You can get a good one if you check it out at the store.
Go with the Gibson LP or a high end fender if you have the money. Why upgrade if you can just buy the higher end one? I wish I had the cash to do that. I barely afforded my MIM, but I'm doing all kinds of stuff to it as I get money...
Quote by CORT noob
Affinity has Alder.

IMO, the necks feel worlds apart.

no, affinity has what musicians friend calls "hardwood" so we're both wrong, and the standard has agathis.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
no, affinity has what musicians friend calls "hardwood" so we're both wrong, and the standard has agathis.

What Musiciansfriend are your looking at?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I have played a squier strat and its noticably different to a fender strat in sound and feel. But it still is a good guitar for beginners/people with not much $$$ (like me lol)

I had a squier strat when i was younger but now i have a really good
Squier Cyclone, its a great guitar, has a very unique sound, and i love the double humbucker as well. It has a shape similar to the Jaguar to, as Squier was making the Cyclone a squier jaguar of some sorts.

I think that Squier is definitely a low end compared to Fender and Gibson, but the Squier guitars are like anything, you get what you pay for, and its more than enough.
Cheap guitars can get a bad rap because most of the people buying them don't have a clue. Fret buzzing, bad action, bad sound, won't stay in tune, etc... Of course most of them don't know a thing about adjusting the saddles and truss rod. They don't check to see if the nuts on the tuners are loose (almost always, check your's). And they don't know how to restring properly. Also they are crappy players that don't know how to tweak their amps and FX so they blame cheap pups for their bad sound.

I recently bought a Fullerton Strat from music123 for $55 on a closeout. The truss rod was loose, the action was bad, and the tuners were loose. All guitars no matter what the cost usually need to be setup. It took me about a half hour to setup my Fullerton.

The most important thing about a guitar is the neck and frets. If you can find a cheap guitar that has the neck adjusted properly and it frets well up and down the fingerboard including bends without deadening, then it will be a good player. Even cheap tuners will stay in tune for the average player if they are wound with the strings correctly and the nut isn't loose.
Quote by fly135
Cheap guitars can get a bad rap because most of the people buying them don't have a clue. Fret buzzing, bad action, bad sound, won't stay in tune, etc... Of course most of them don't know a thing about adjusting the saddles and truss rod. They don't check to see if the nuts on the tuners are loose (almost always, check your's). And they don't know how to restring properly. Also they are crappy players that don't know how to tweak their amps and FX so they blame cheap pups for their bad sound.

I don't think ability to tweak an amp to get the right sound = crap guitarist. But i mostly agree with what you are saying. I've never had any problems with bad setup on squiers, then again i'm not a beginner and wasn't a beginner when i got any of my squiers, the problem has always been the electronics. My custom tele (Vintage modified series) is a really nice guitar, plays fine and sounds good uplugged but sounds like crap because the electronics are mismatched - it has 3 500k pots and 1 470k (the 500k pots are fine, its HH, but wtf, 470k?), the shielding is a half assed chunk of tin foil thats just stuck to the inside of the scratchplate and only covers about half of the control cavity, its just badly done. The routing, though a little bit excessive is done well, and the construction is excellent.

but back on topic, no a squier and a fender are very different. Squiers use cheaper stuff, the neck profile is a little different, fenders feel more solid and often have laquered necks while i've never seen a laquered neck on a squier.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by livrockdie
Go with the Gibson LP or a high end fender if you have the money. Why upgrade if you can just buy the higher end one? I wish I had the cash to do that. I barely afforded my MIM, but I'm doing all kinds of stuff to it as I get money...

Those are 2 completely different guitars...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I don't think ability to tweak an amp to get the right sound = crap guitarist.
I didn't mean to imply one equals the other. Simply that most beginners are saddled with two problems... not being able to play well, and not knowing how to adjust things to get the best results. I say this because I'm going through all the stages of being a rank beginner to starting to be able to make judgement calls on equipment settings and quality. Something as simple as hating a distortion pedal because you can't get the sound you want, to finding out that if you turned down the volume on your guitar instead of setting on max gives you more control over the sound.

My experience as a progressing beginner is that it doesn't matter whether I play my Affinity Tele, G&L S-500, or Std Tele 95% of how I sound is related things external to the guitar. And how good I play is pretty much the same no matter which of those guitars I use.
The first guy comments that it has a shorter neck and the pups sound terrible. The second guys sez it sounds great. The neck is 25.5" scale so that tells me the first guy is in the ozone, and I doubt that he can tell that much difference in the pups. Also anyone that complains about simple setup issues isn't really clued in.

I will say that strats are a dime a dozen and if you go on Craigslist you should be able to get a pristine Std Strat for no more than $50 more.
Quote by Mongoose87

Just because the threadstarter has enough cash to buy a Les Paul doesn't mean they want to spend it. I had $5,000 to splurge a couple of months ago, and I just bought a mexi telecaster and a Valve Junior. Left me with plenty of change to spend on camera gear, which is more of a priority for me.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Hey I've got a squier and i hate it. It goes out of tune like crazy. When i bend a string the slightest bit it goes out of tune. It's disgusting!

I've been looking for a new guitar myself.
Your Mom [insert rest of sentence here]
Quote by iggysaysrawr
Hey I've got a squier and i hate it. It goes out of tune like crazy. When i bend a string the slightest bit it goes out of tune. It's disgusting!

Have you considered to put five springs on the bridge at the back of the guitar?. That can make a world of difference.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Have you considered to put five springs on the bridge at the back of the guitar?. That can make a world of difference.

More springs won't do anything really, as long as he sets his bridge up right. It's more about his tuners, and how he winds them. Also, his nut.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by iggysaysrawr

If you can shake the trem and it goes back in tune then it sounds like a friction problem causing the trem not to return to the correct position. The easiest way to fix that is to tighten the springs in the trem so that it doesn't float. If it's just the one string that you bend that goes out of tune then it's a tuner/nut issue.