I have never, in the 2 years that I have played guitar, spent more than a few seconds adjusting the tone knobs on my amp. I just flip 'em around once or twice, and it sounds fine to me, no matter where they are, no matter what I'm playing. And when I'm trying out guitars at shops, most of them sound fairly similar, and I've tested a lot. Am I totally tone deaf, or does it just take time to acquire an ear for that sort of thing?
It takes time, but I think my ear for tone has developed to a reasonable extent after playing for 2 and 1/2 years.

What amp do you use? Try some expensive ones at a shop.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
off topic, but
axeman99- nice sig, i remember that from 6th grade
Quote by Garret.
No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made.

Destiny is made known silently.
yea...i have an ear for tone...i can tell the difference pretty easily...but i still havn't really developed an appreciation for tone...i also never mess w/ my amp or strive to get any particular tone.
Quote by Axeman99
It takes time, but I think my ear for tone has developed to a reasonable extent after playing for 2 and 1/2 years.

What amp do you use? Try some expensive ones at a shop.

I play a "Peavey special 212", and it's nothing too special (as opposed to the name) but it has a pretty decent tone, and I have tried everything at shops from classic Fenders to Mesa/Boogies. And I can hear the difference in tones, when I switch the settings around, it's just none of them sound bad to me. I can also hear the difference between a Fender and a Marshall amp, but with guitars, they all pretty much sound the same.
I'm sure there was a point where eveyone though their 10 watt amp sounded secks. Just expose yourself to more kinds of amps and effects.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
I'm sure there was a point where eveyone though their 10 watt amp sounded secks. Just expose yourself to more kinds of amps and effects.

Well it's not so much thinking my 10 watt amp sucks, as it is my 130 watt amp not being able to sound bad at all. And I have clocked in hours of trying out different guitars at shops and they all sound the same.
Quote by si!
Well it's not so much thinking my 10 watt amp sucks, as it is my 130 watt amp not being able to sound bad at all. And I have clocked in hours of trying out different guitars at shops and they all sound the same.

I didn't say "sucks" I said "secks"

Guitars will sound different depending on the amp used. A modeling amp pretty much makes all guitars sound the same.

Just keep playing. Hours is not enough. Try days, months and years. I played a crate starter pack guitar with the amp (which was decent for a 10 watter) for 2 years, and I thought the tone was amazing.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

If you really can't hear the difference in tone then just set your settings all at 12 oclock. Even if you can't tell you'll have a balanced tone.

Your ear should have developed by now, but not everyone is built the same.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Reincaster

Depends what 10 watt amps they have.... Orange make an awesome 7 watt all valve amp...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I think being tone deaf is kind of, in a way, a sort of blessing.

If I sit down with a guitar and amp the first things that come out of my mouth, or rather the first things that pop into my head are the things I dont like out the tone.

Then Ill fix it according to what I didnt like about it before.

Then of course there will be a whole new mess of things wrong with the new tone.

So, Ill sit there for hours going around in circles...never getting anywhere because Im never satisfied since I can always find something wrong with the sound.

I remember when I was first starting out though...I didnt care at all about it because it all sounded good to me.

Guitar => DS-1 => any amp = Happy.

But over the years I started getting more and more picky because my ear for tone kept developing.

Now that Ive gotten to this point I want to go back to where it all sounded good!
Quote by sheumack111
Depends what 10 watt amps they have.... Orange make an awesome 7 watt all valve amp...

its actually fifteen watts(with a switch to make it 7) unless your reffering to one of the vintage models...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
sounds like someone needs perfect pitch:
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
sounds like someone needs perfect pitch:

We're talking about tone, not pitch.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Try to listen to the difference in your amp by trying settings like

Treble - Mid - Bass
10 - 10 - 0
0 - 10 - 10
10 - 0 - 10
10 - 0 - 0
0 - 10 - 0
0 - 0 - 10

Or go to that artist settings thread and try some of those settings and try to hear the difference.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
well if you are playing through different solid state amps in a store, i find alot of them sound very similar, its the tube amps that i think have the biggest difference between each type of tube amp.

try an Ac30, then some Fender tube amp, a marshall, and so forth.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...