Page 1 of 2
Well the plan is a randy rhodes style vee with a hendirx style strat pickup set with a strat trem. sort of a weird mix of a strat and a flying vee thus sort of a frankenstrat but since its not like the norm Ill call it stratenfrankin. She will be made of poplar and top routed with the triangle control cavity cover on the front like some of the RR's. I bought a 70s bc rich style neck for it with a rosewood neck and pearl dot inlays. Ill post pics as soon as I can and (unlike a few planned project threads Ive had) have already started cutting. Im not using plans for this so it will not be exactly like a randy rhodes but will fit what I like more. Im just using the RR as an inspiration and somewhere to start.

Also because of the build an acoustic thread I figured Id tell you Im not joking I plan to build this well and I have not plans to throw it together. (sorry that thread just pisses me off)

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Edit: her new name is JacksonStein
Last edited by powermetalg at Sep 29, 2007,
So I have most of the body rough cut to a semi-RR shape I just need to sand A LOT and then route for pickups, electronics, neck, and a trem (which Im not gonna do till I have the stuff to put in the holes). But a funny thing happened when I was cutting (just so you know Im using a dremel rotary cutoff tool which isnt the greatest of most acurate but not too bad) I cut deep into one of the 2 stools I was using like sawhorses. Luckily it was my stool so noone is pissed of at me.
Sounds pretty cool, be sure to take pictures and post em here every step of the way.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
i don't understand, you're going to build an RR v with one single coil pickup and a strat trem? Oh well glad to see you're actually BUILDING the bloody thing! if you end up with a guitar at the end of this my faith in you will be restored.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Lookin' good man! Keep us posted, i love the RR type guitars, they pretty much define metal and Randy was a god. So good luck, dude!
I was really hoping for a Flying-V with strat stylr horns. That yould look sick
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
So the buy me a new router fund filled up (I was able to return the dremel because I payed the extra $10 for the return policy) I got a decent router, drill, and palm sander for about $60 and still have enough $$$ to buy a little hardware so updates should be up here tomorrow... Also I decided not to go with the SSS pickup configuration and go with 2 humbuckers because the classic hendrixlike tone I wanted would look awkward coming from a randy rhoads but Im still sticking with a 2 post strat tremolo because I wasnt to be able to do divebombs but dont really need a floyd rose.
Well yesterday and today I got a lot done... I finished most of the shaping on the body (due to my poor cutting technique I need to use body filler on the sides in order to fill in alot of accidental gouges) and I routed the neck pocket and installed the neck...

And a small glimpse of what all the sides look like all around....
good job on the sanding, getting the curves right. I rly like the headstock, looks like an eviler Jackson. Its a good idea to do a front-routed contrlo cahity, since u wont need a top to put over the body, and itll look more Rhodes-ish.

If ur doing a solid white finish, definately use some gold hardware and a gold pickguard, like the RR5 pro series. Maybe do some pinstripes as well.

I have seen ppl say that u should use an EMG85 and an SD or another passive wired together. Can u wire an active and a passive together?? i thought u couldnt, but can u?
Quote by powermetalg
I dont why I added the cat but it was an option with the pickup choices so....

It's there because there is a pickup called a dog-ear P90 (that's the housing, actually)- so the name "cat-ear" is a joke. A bad one, even.
Yeah I knew it was a joke but I dont know why I added it to my kiskae... Also Ive decided to do a rear routed style in flat black primer and pinstriping since my brother does that, and I want to recess the knobs and will probably use a TOM bridge, but Im still not completely decided.

Quote by qotsa1998
good job on the sanding, getting the curves right.

Thanks
I thought you said it was definitely gonna be a Strat-style trem... What made you change your mind?

Anyways, are you gonna do a Strat-style jack on the side then?

Even with that, Stratenfrankin isn't really a good name for it anymore...
Quote by Pikka Bird
I thought you said it was definitely gonna be a Strat-style trem... What made you change your mind?

Anyways, are you gonna do a Strat-style jack on the side then?

Even with that, Stratenfrankin isn't really a good name for it anymore...

I just realized that a strat style tremolo would look awkward and I had just talked myself into it because I had a trem sitting around. None of the decisions I have made are set in stone until here cut into the guitar.

Im going to try to do a strat jack on the side but Im not sure if it will work seeing its not a flat surface... Ill probably end up doing an ibanez sa style output on the side because I can just drill that into the side.

Also she does need a new name so... any suggestions?
^About the Strat-jack: They bend to a certain extent, but if you don't wanna risk it, just recess it with a chisel. That should be easy enough.
how thick is your body?\

I am in the process of making my own custom jackson RR style guitar. I have the wood glued together and planed and I hope to cut the body out sometime this week.

good luck on your build.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
I think it's a Jacksonstein now.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Its 2" thick... or at least thats how it started and I dont hink sanding has taken too much off so its probably about that thick still. Its not because I like really thick bodies I just dont have a plane and I made the body out of two 1" thick pieces. And good luck to your buld aswell.

Also JACKONSTEIN IS HER NEW NAME
Well I primed the body. Mostly just to seal it from moisture and to see what body work I have left to do. Happily it would appear that everything is clean and now just needs to be wetsanded and painted (after of course installing hardware and electronics). Also I realized that Im gonna have to paint it due to the grain of the wood showing through the primer but Ill just paint it satin black so Itll be cleaner and more dureable but still have that flat black I want. Here is a pic of the primer

I recieved the tuners, pickups rings and a strat 2 point bridge (which Im back on the fence about using) a few days ago.
For today I plan to clean up the headstock some and see if I can mount the tuners which Ill be sure to post pics of.
Last edited by powermetalg at Sep 29, 2007,
You seem to have spelt "Randy Rhoads" wrong.

Around here that's a reportable offense.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
so yesterday I attached the tuners (not really a big task but a little work was neccesary) and today I routed for the pickup and recessed ring (im not sure but I may do only one pickup because due to the longer than average neck joint of my neck I will not be able to fit a humbucker in the neck position. I may also set the pickups like the 2 bridgeward pickups on a 3 humbucker guitar) and the tremolo. I re decided to use the strat tremolo because I want a tremolo and I cant afford a floyd rose and I will probably upgrade to one on the JACKSONSTEIN second installment but until then the strat tremolo stays. Sorry about really bad quality pics but my camera sucks.
Front with trem and pup ring

front without trem or pup ring

back

headstock

Drew Barrymore I belive and I needed one really nice and high quality picture so...
Quote by powermetalg

Drew Barrymore I belive and I needed one really nice and high quality picture so...

Hah, I loled.

Nice build, keep chomping away at it!
lookin pretty good, only thing though is that it started off really cool because of the rhoads v with single coils concept but now with two humbuckers its sort of lost its uniqueness.

could i recommend you go for a single coil in the neck (HS) or neck and in the middle? (HSS) just to unlock some more stratty tones
Quote by powermetalg
poplar. 4 pieces because Iwas able to buy it all as a 4.5' board for under $15

I did that same exact thing for my Thunderbird

Same wood an all!
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Diamond Dave
lookin pretty good, only thing though is that it started off really cool because of the rhoads v with single coils concept but now with two humbuckers its sort of lost its uniqueness.

could i recommend you go for a single coil in the neck (HS) or neck and in the middle? (HSS) just to unlock some more stratty tones

Yeah Im probably gonna put a single in the neck and maybe a middle position not sure... I decided not to go with the SSS pups because I wanted a guitar with a vintage bluesy tone and well a Rhandy Rhoads is not meant for a bluesy tone but METAL
Well I got some done on her today and yesterday and these are the fruitas of my labor. I routed the control cavity

Then I put the knobs in place temporarily

I recessed them so the guitar has a nice low profile. It will probably make it a little difficult to use later on but it has such a nce low profile look
looks awesome man, cant wait to see finished product
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
So now Ive decided (probably temporarily if youve noticed the trend of me not making up my mind too well) that as a bridge pickup Im gonna use a Bill Lawrence USA 500xl for the bridge (I know Bill and Becky is better but I cant afford it) and a reverse staggered strat pickup (down the road a little when I have the money) in the neck.

Also now Im on the fence about the paintjob and came up with these...

The Union Jack

And because Im not actually British I thought of this

And the Evil Jack

Tell me what you think.
i wouldn't do any of them if your not british. just my opinion. but if you had to do one, I'd do the middle flag.
Page 1 of 2