My pawnshop has this oldd nasty looking red strat guitar. i gotta say im digging how nasty it looks, its a real relic. Its 60 dollars. im sure i can get it for cheaper. I want to install a floyd rose on it, or maybe an old kahler spyder or something neat... Would this be really hard, or not? The body routing is half done, just expand the hole, and fill the holes, then drill new ones for mounting posts. what im worried about is the locking nut. I can do a kahler string lock...but after the nut locks are nasty for string slippage, unless i cover the nut in vaseline/graphite mixture before i put new strings on it. The neck is still straight, and the action is surprisingly low. the body looks like hell, but the neck looks brand new. I like te neck so much because it looks exactly like an explorer headstock, and it just says epiphone on it. its a solid-body guitar, probably some cheap alder or basswood, i think its korean made.... im thinking for 60 bucks, even if i end up ripping it apart for here-n-there parts it will be worth it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-Epiphone-S-310-Cherry-Red-Strat-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ290158981531QQihZ019QQcategoryZ47069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like that, but im almost positive that its alot older, either that or someoen really did a number on it. Its got that style headstock though, it reminds me of the explorer, im diggin. go or no? i just got alot of cash, so im putting most of it in the bank, 40 bucks, which is what i plan on paying for it, wouldnt put much of a dent.
fight the power that be
nah, the truss rod cover says gibson on it. and the epiphone looks like mother of pearl, so that tells me that its, well, was, kinda neat.
fight the power that be
yeah definitely. do you think it would be safe to route it out for a locking nut? or would that effect unforseen things such as intonation and notation and fun stuff?
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
yeah definitely. do you think it would be safe to route it out for a locking nut? or would that effect unforseen things such as intonation and notation and fun stuff?

well if you want a floyd rose you have to do that but i suggest getting professionals to route that part to not risk any tonal damge
this is an old thread but I have the same guitar... red epiphone strat with an angled explorer headstock . I got mine 16 years ago... it doesnt seem to work anymore... i'll have to pop it open and see what's wrong. The tremolo on it is shot... under the bridge it's all cracked and brittle... i think it's made of white metal. I may make it into a hard tail and turn it into a frankenstein guitar... If my memory serves me correctly the body is routed for neck and bridge humbucker and single coil middle... the neck is still straight and everything else is perfect on it aside from the bridge falling apart... i'm thinking of endless coil tapping and wiring possibilities via switches and such...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Yo. my neighbor has an epi-strat. red. All it needs is new strings, a nwew bridge, intonation, action adjustment
Since the one at ebay is gone, did it look like this?
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
lol, why revive this dead thread from the cemetery?

because the epi strat has a warm spot in my heart. it was my first real guitar. my mom bought it for me when I was 11 years old... i've had it for 16 years and it hands on my wall covered in dust just asking to be revived. it's actually a great little cheapie guitar albeit not 100% dimensionally exact to a fender strat it's got the basic shape and it's an all round good guitar. I learned how to play tornado of souls from megadeth on that axe by ear when I was 14 years old sitting in my bedroom with my rust in peace CD on repeat
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology