First off I don't care if you don't like the spider amps, It's all I can afford right now. If you feel like making dumbass comments about my amp choice, please go out and buy yourself a set of non bunching panties.

that being said what distortion pedal do you think would work with my amp?

The Mt-2 i have sounds just awful with my amp and I've been trying to nail it for some time now and its not doing the trick.

I was thinking a ds-1 might be nice for more rockish kinda stuff(Tool, primus, rammstein)

Or a EH metal muff was another pedal that looked impressive.

any ideas folks? thanks.

-SnD
you need to put the amp on the clean channel, but with all the presets isnt there one tone you can bear from that amp?
Quote by FRDesign
Distortion Pedals don't work with Solid State amps very well. It will most likely make a Muddy mess.

Mostly Yes. Especially with the spider. Modelers don't like pedals.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by FRDesign
Distortion Pedals don't work with Solid State amps very well. It will most likely make a Muddy mess.

but if that's all that he can afford, then theres nothing he can do about it. definetly try the ds-1, its cheap, its simple to use, and i like the sound that i can get from mine even though i only have a cheap peavey rage to play it through
Quote by samick007
but if that's all that he can afford, then theres nothing he can do about it. definetly try the ds-1, its cheap, its simple to use, and i like the sound that i can get from mine even though i only have a cheap peavey rage to play it through

I'm 99% sure his on amp distortion will sound better than a DS-1.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Slicendice
So basically what your saying is that until I can afford a decent tube amp I'm S.O.L. and J.W.F.

No Idea what JWF is, but pretty much yes.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Slicendice
Sh*t out of luck and jolly well f*cked.

I suppose I could save up enough cash for a new amp in a few months.

I recommend that, no point in putting yourself back a few for a distortion pedal when there are amps to save for!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
I'm 99% sure his on amp distortion will sound better than a DS-1.

indeed, ds-1 and ss amps just don't match, the ds-1 sounds amazing to boost cranked tube amps signals, but it seriously sucks with an SS
^the modified DS-1 that is. stock ones are plain horrible.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^the modified DS-1 that is. stock ones are plain horrible.

Concurage. My DS-1 sounded fat sh!t through my SS amp. Sounds thin sh!t through my VJ.

And, Hopefully I get most of the cab together tommorow!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

If you really have to, I used a Digitech Metal Master with my Spider for some time while I was saving up for my Peavey. It really didn't sound too terrible, you just have to keep all the controls low. I think I had the treble on 4 and the bass on 6 and it sounded somewhat decent, and I think it was a better Pantera style tone than my Peavey can get. Id just go to the store and try them out if you wanted to. The best distortion through a solid state Ive played is the Metal Muff, so maybe you can give them a try.
due to the dsp in the spiders...u really cant hook anything else up to them..kind of the whole reason for buying a modeling amp is so u dont have to...i havent heard the spider II's but it seems that they arent well liked around here....but the spider III's are great...i have no need for any pedals..but i did try hooking up my pocket pod and it just didnt work right...it sounded like both pieces were trying to produce their own sound
Quote by Slicendice
So basically what your saying is that until I can afford a decent tube amp I'm S.O.L. and J.W.F.

You don't need a tube amp you just need something better than a spider, contray to popular opinion there are good solid state amps Ex: Line 6 Flextone series, Roland Cubes. But than again if I where to do it all over again instead of buying a Flextone III I would have got a Vox Valvetronix which is nearly the same price. But anyways the Flextone III is still nearly as good so I happy.
Quote by CORT noob
I recommend that, no point in putting yourself back a few for a distortion pedal when there are amps to save for!

+1
Quote by Osiris77
You don't need a tube amp you just need something better than a spider, contray to popular opinion there are good solid state amps Ex: Line 6 Flextone series, Roland Cubes. But than again if I where to do it all over again instead of buying a Flextone III I would have got a Vox Valvetronix which is nearly the same price. But anyways the Flextone III is still nearly as good so I happy.

Yeah but none of those really sound decent with toneshaping pedals, regardless.

Toneshaping pedals + Modeling amps = Not so yummy.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.