What should your output be for your neck pickup? I found this dual-blade rail for like 19 dollars, its a single coil, but its got two coils packed into it, and its a ridiculous 14k output, and i need a neck pickup for an old washburn... would 14k be to much?
I'm pretty sure 14k is waaaaaaaaay too much.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Well im not sure what all that means, i will learn at school as im taking a guitar-electronics repair class and stuff, pretty awesome, but here is the pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160156424086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Ive heard them, my friend has some in his strat, but he has it in the bridge, it rips, i need something for the neck though, and i want the dual-blade look, the classic single coil gives off hum and wont match the guitar.
ummm. doesnt really matter as i almost never use clean, but when i do, id just want a moderate crisp/warmth. nothing crazy. the one i have in it now, the stock one, absolutely blows. i just dont want that single-coil tone. not sure how to describe it, everything is just way to crisp and twangy.
Quote by LP Addict
Well im not sure what all that means, i will learn at school as im taking a guitar-electronics repair class and stuff, pretty awesome, but here is the pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160156424086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Ive heard them, my friend has some in his strat, but he has it in the bridge, it rips, i need something for the neck though, and i want the dual-blade look, the classic single coil gives off hum and wont match the guitar.

then look at some sd's hot rails
Yea you will have some pretty serious output balance issues with that hot of a single coil. Most are rated at 6 to 7 k. Thats just the measurement of resistance thru the windings. More resistance means more output. Generaly the bridge has the higher output to compensate for less string output. Some companies go to considerable effort to get the balance right, others dont. As for a pickup for that price, seems to cheap. I know the parts and wire to wind your own are 25 to 30 bucks. And any kind of name brand pickups is going to be 50 bucks or more. Im sure it would work but wont be any better in quality than what is found in the cheap guitars. I know some seem to think output coil output is everything. More is always better. But alot of music was made on relativly week coils over the years.
DC resistance has nothing to do with output, it is just resistance of the coil. Output is measured in millivolts.

An example of this is a comparison between the Super 3 and X2N from Dimarzio. The X2N is the louder and hotter of the 2 pick ups but look at the specs (taken from Dimarzios website).

Super 3: Resistance - 25.8 Output - 435mV
X2N: Resistance - 15.8 Output - 510mV

An old Gibson PAFs resistance was around 8-8.1
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN