Hey guys, just browsing around the epiphones, and I saw this thing. I was considering the regular G-400 until I saw that. It sure looks better, but is that extra pickup really doing anything for the guitar? Is it worth an extra hundred dollars?

I play mostly classic rock, alt, and a little bit of metal btw. My price ceiling is 500. And the amp isn't an issue because I will be getting a new one along with the guitar. Please don't tell me "try them" because thats a given. I would just like your input before I head out to try and find one to try.
Last edited by pENTAcUBE at Sep 13, 2007,
besides the third pickup (which probably won't get used much) you are paying for cosmetics
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
yeah its worth the small amount of extra money. yes its kinda a bit cosmetic, but 3 pickups is a great help for versatility.
The extra pickup is going to give you a greater range of tonal options, but in my book it is totally unnecessary. The wood that needed to be routed out for the pickup hurts the resonance, and the magnetic pull hurts the resonance, so really you'd be paying an extra hundred for a duller sounding guitar.
My friend has a regular G-400, its a '79 one but still sounds amazing so imo a G-400 is a very good guitar. I personally mostly use the bridge pickup so i dont really have any use for the others. If i had $500 laying around I would get either the Blue G-400 cuz its the same thing as the G-400 but its an unusual color(which imo is pretty awesome) or the G-400 Deluxe. I dont think an extra pick up is worth $100 - $170.
Gear:
Ovation Celebrity GC28

PROUD MEMBER OF SLASHISM
PM slashs_#1_fan To Join
Member #17 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Quote by fretsonfire74
yeah its worth the small amount of extra money. yes its kinda a bit cosmetic, but 3 pickups is a great help for versatility.

That sig is killin' me, (I've been sigged twice now, to the best of my knowledge) that's the second time tonight I've seen that sig, I can't help but think "did I really say that?" It surprises me how silly I can be sometimes.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Is there anything that stands out with the G-400 deluxe over a regular G-400? Is it just overall quality?

It's probably just looks and the extra pickup, the gold hardware just looks gaudy, and you already know my stance on extra pickups....
I've never played the deluxe, but from what the description says, it's the exact same thing as the G-400, only with "better" looks. I've played the G-400, it's nice....probably not any better or worse than the deluxe as far as playability and tone go.
I have the guitar that u linked to...I paid $349 for mine last year and I am glad that I bought this model
Personally i think that the extra pickup on the custom is a waste of money and it wont do much for your sound. Get the g-400 or if your looking for something that looks good go for the deluxe.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
omg buy this guitar dude

it was my first electric ever

and its still my favorite guitar ever

its totally exellent, and worth your money
www.myspace.com/hijackedtheband
Quote by david_highland
That sig is killin' me, (I've been sigged twice now, to the best of my knowledge) that's the second time tonight I've seen that sig, I can't help but think "did I really say that?" It surprises me how silly I can be sometimes.

lol, but its hilarious, you should be proud lol.
i think that on this guitar theres volume/tone control for the bridge and neck pickups, and a separate vol/tone for the mid so by tweaking the controls you can get all possible pickup combinations and the 3-way switch works just like a regular SG, but i personally think that would be awkward... i could be wrong, but i don't understand how else it could switch between 3 pickups with a 3-way switch, as theres no blend pot like on the 3-pickup rickenbackers... also with 3 pickups you're gonna have less sustain...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp