I'm at a music school, and i have a performance on monday that makes up 20% of the marks for the entire year. I'm usually a guitarist, but for this one im on vocals and i have no experience being a frontman! We're not only being marked on the music, but stage presence as well. So if anybody with any front man experience could let me know some tips on how to get a crowd into a show and singing along it would be great any tips at all would be awesome.
Advertise free pie and punch.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Shoot various liquids into the crowd like GWAR.

"Of course its real blood!"
look into people's eyes when you sing and move around a bit. There's also a game that you can play where you try to put your hands as close to the mic as possible stand without touching it that's pretty fun.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Acknowledge the crowd, first off. How many bands have you seen live? Most front-men will ask the crowd how they're doing. It's not much but it sure helps. The one thing that turns me off of a show is when the front man doesn't acknowledge the crowd. He or she comes on, plays, and then leaves. Let them know you see them and you care! While performing, show emotion, don't just stand in one spot. You have to move around and have fun, because if you're having fun, the audience will have fun, unless you're playing death metal and they are there to see Linkin Park, in which case your ****ed. That said, make sure you play something the crowd will like. If it's a cover song, make sure it's a familiar one, and always start your set with a hard song. Don't start slow!

I have only ever performed on stage once, so don't listen to me.
Well our songs are Dani California, Killing in the name of and Bullet with Butterfly Wings. What order do you think we should go??
yea you need to read your crowd. you dont' go nuts if youre playing for a bunch of 40 plus jazz lovers.

one thing that gets a crowd into a band.. is having a good band.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I actually get annoyed when singers acknowledge the audience..

I always want to tell him to shut the **** up and let the musicians do their thing.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by 7daycrisis
Well our songs are Dani California, Killing in the name of and Bullet with Butterfly Wings. What order do you think we should go??

Dani, Bullet then Killing In The Name Of.

Why Just The 3?
Quote by 7daycrisis

Killing in the name
Dani California
Bullet with butterfly wings

good song choice dude

just make sure u keep eye contact with the crowd, and do anything that you can to get them involved. If you see them singing along, let them sings a lil bit of the song.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Kick your brother in his penis adorned head.
Try insulting the audience. They love that.
Quote by vintage x metal

Attack the audience. Throw stuff at them. Be a total asshat.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Try insulting the audience. They love that.

I was just about to suggest that.
Quote by chachee123
Dani, Bullet then Killing In The Name Of.

Why Just The 3?

Cheers, and just the three because thats what the assessment is three songs, then the other bands come on to do their three songs.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Attack the audience. Throw stuff at them. Be a total asshat.

I was just about to suggest that.

I've actually done that, as well as the other bands playing. No one really got the jokes, I think they just understood that I was making fun of them. The owners of the venue seemed to think what I had to say was funny, though.
Quote by vintage x metal

F-ck you i won't do what you tell me!

just pull a massive death growl at the start i reckon

grabs attention
Killing In The Name Of, then Bullet with butterfly wings, and then Dani California. Turn the end solo into a five minute epic, with bass and drum solos included.

If you see a violin lying about, try to get a solo with that in as well.
Quote by 7daycrisis

Bullet
Killing
Dani
Talk to the crowd. That's essential. Be funny, joke around a bit. Not too much tho, there's a fine line- You have to get them laughing, but not bore them. Are you going to be playing guitar aswell? If not, are you using a stand or just a chord with the microphone? Also what genre are you playing, all this effects your stage moves ^^

If you use a stand. There are so many cool things to do with it, pick it up, carry it around, I saw a band named The Quireboys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiIxl4NnEwc, not sure if he does it in this clip, but you see his way of handling the stand) just two weeks ago, the vocalist used a stand and did this awesome trick. He flipped the stand up into the air and caught while doing a spin. it was kickass. Also look at the devil in Tenacious D The Pick of destiny, during the Beelzeboss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNxtIZNVyok&mode=related&search= ) scene.

If you're using a chord, spinning the might can allways be cool. Look at f.ex. the singer in Taking Back Sunday.

Hope i helped atleast a little bit