Hello bassists!
I'm a guitarist, but I picked up bass too now..
I want to know what do you think about playing bass with a pick.. What do your teachers say? Is it a good technique?
Thank you!
i would say start with fingerstyle though. pick use is alright to metal and such, but get a firm foundation in fingerstyle first.
Too cool for a signature.
It's just another tool for the job.

And as you can get soft picks that almost emulate the sound of fingerstyle and fingerstyle techniques that almost emulate the sound of a pick, the long and short of it is it doesn't really matter how you play, as long as you play. It's not a bad technique, neither is it superior.

It'd be like a mechanic calling his wrench superior to his screwdriver, when really both are tools in the box meant to be used in different ways for different jobs.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well, i wouldn't recommend it if you want a "bassy" sound. But, if you want a more SHARP sound you should use a pick
[img]http://www.filecram.com/files/Tarot[2].jpg[/img]
Some people already sayd it, use both. both will be handy later if you start getting really into bass.
There are special sounds you can get from pick, and there are other sounds you can get with finger.
Example "Schism" from tool and another bunch you cant get that sound out of fingers.. at least i cant.
Another Example i think this is the worst song by peppers but its a good example "hump de bump" or something like that, it would be hard to play and get same sound with pick

so its always good to at least know how to play a bit with 2 tech.
i use pick, but i like to play with fingers 2.. alot.
AbsentMind
If you need to ask that then you shouldn't play bass.

Seriously, either pick or fingers is fine. It all depends on personal preference and tone you like.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I mostly play power metal.. and I use pick for 16th notes.. What about your relationship with pick usage?
15 posts in and not one elitist arsehole in sight. theres nothing wrong with using a pick, i used one exclusively for the first 2 years of my playing. i recommend you learn fingerstyle aswell though because eventually you'll come across other styles of playing (eg slap and pop, tapping) that are awkward to use if you are holding a pick
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
play the way you like yo play thats all(even if you make an awful sound just have fun)

i use pick most of the time but is very useful tu know the finger style, you know for slaping and tapping and other stuff
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
do pick, fingerstyle, slap, tap all that jazz get as much veriety as you can

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by chrisatgrace
i would say start with fingerstyle though. pick use is alright to metal and such, but get a firm foundation in fingerstyle first.

Quote by kingdomslayer91
depends on what you want to play. Metal is good with a pick, blues is better without. You get what I am saying?

Wrong and wrong.

Picks are great for any style of music, fingerstyle is great for any sort of music. There shouldn't be restrictions. EVER.