ok so i finally got a new band right. its great fun and all but there is only one problem i have. this is the rythm guitarist. hes like my mate and all but hes absolute crap at guitar. i dont wanna get rid of him but is there anyway reletive easy to be able to play like basic chords ie barre chords, etc. without it taking years????
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
ive had the same problem but with a singer, just get him to practice hard and get your lead guitarist to cover some of his parts make him learn basic powerchords/barre chords. he should be ok in 2 weeks or so.
Sounds like you're talking about me

Friggin barre chords cob flabbit...
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
yer im lead and thats what were doin at the moment but hes AHHHH CRAP!!!! hahah so annoying cuase hes a mate and all any other suggestions?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
does it have to be barre chords? maybe he knows some other chords that you can use? also, maybe if u start writing really cool riffs with barre chords, and play them in front of him, he'll think thats ace . . . then start learning them, rather than thinking, well thats dull and not putting in any effort.
yer im not actually a big fan of barre chords but if i try to play certain simple riffs he doesnt get them. talk about frustration
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
What can he do? Power chords? Cause that's mostly all a rhythm guitarist needs to do, maybe an intro here and there.

I have no idea what you could do besides
a) Getting him to practice a ****load more

or

b) maybe killing him and burying the remains in your backyard, which would remove the awkward GTFO of the band conversation from the equation.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
yer I like that idea BenFoffenBock. killing him would ease my mind
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
You will not be able to quickly bring him up to that level. I just don't see it happening, unless you have low standards, but if you need it to be the same level as you can play them, it most likely won't happen and it will drive you absolutely insane.
Dude he's gotta go.. he's just gonna make the whole band look worse+sooner or later he'll come up with real bad idea's/riffs as he learns (we've all been there!) and then he'll get piss'd off at you guys for not using them.. soz lol
How long has he been playing/in the band? Just give him some more time. Adam Jones said that Tom Morello was the worst guitarist he had heard, but after teaching him some stuff and giving him a bit of time, Tom got even better than Adam. Just give him a chance.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

A band is only as good as its weakest link. But you can teach him power chords fairly quickly, especially using Drop D or Drop C tunings.
I would avoid letting him use drop D cuz he might settle into it and just play drop D all the time and it'll just be a crutch to him.
A band of my very own:

Pyknic
Well my band only has one guitarist now, because I kicked my mate out. If youre in a band to hang around with mates dont bother. Youre in a band for the music, to celebrate youre love of music with fellow musicians and hopefully (in time) with the world. Dont let people stand in your way, or you will just be held back and you will never reach your potential. I already kicked out two members for the same reasons, it has to be done. If hes going to ditch you because of a purely musical aspiration, hes not a very good friend.
As the angel kisses me once again
You scream poison as you glare
Your bow and arrow by your side
As if you cared

It's a mour......astral congregation