bit confused on tube ratings, basically i want a tube rating that will allow me to retain clear clean on the clean channel of my Peavey classic 50(play in a church praise band and the natural distortion from breakup might not be welcome)

but how does the tube rating effect the crunch channel?
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
Last edited by TimbreWolf at Sep 13, 2007,
Tube rating... ?

I can't imagine your church group playing so loud that you can't manage to stay clean thru a 50W tube amp. I can get cleans out of a 20W amp jamming with a hard rock group. Just roll off your guitar's volume a little bit.

If you want cleaner cleans, you can replace the 12AX7 a/w your clean channel with a 12AT7. But again, I can't fathom why that would be necessary.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Some people may expect the cleans on a tube amp to sound the same as cleans on a solid state. Maybe that's why you don't like the cleans on the Peavey. Even at low volumes tubes color the sound (warmth.) I like tube cleans better than solid state but maybe solid state cleans is what you (TS) are looking for. You could replace the preamp tube with a cleaner one (as Slats said) but then you would affect the preamp distortion. If that's not a problem then go for it. No matter what you do its a compromise. To me the low volume (-5) cleans on the Peavey are clean enough. The only other option is to get a solid state amp.
no when you buy tubes from musicians friend they come in ratings of Low, Medium, High etc, a webpage said that the lows have breakup earlier, the highs have the clean breakup at higher volumes, and the mid rating is just that mid rating.

my question was how will that rating effect the crunch channel
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
(1) Don't buy tubes from Musicians' Friend. To add to the list above, also consider Doug's Tubes. I've had really good results with them.

(2) That must be a brand thing, but the effect is exactly what they describe. So with "Low" tubes you'll have more breakup - more power amp distortion - at lower volumes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 13, 2007,
thanks
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why are you buying from there, in the first place? Go to Eurotubes.com, TheTubeStore, or the Tube Depot.

+1

And as Dirk said, Doug's Tubes is also great.

You can e-mail any of these guys, tell them what you want from your amp, and they'll hook you up with quality, tested tubes. I'd never by from MF, and would only buy from GC in an emergency.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thanks guys, bee playing for 16years and i just now am able to afford a tube amp so im a bit newbish. i bought some from tube depot.

also...tube breakup is that a pretty distortion or what, i honestly cant get it that high in my house with out my wife giving me the EYE!
Tube Distortion Is really smooth and rolls off lovely. A SS distortion is either on or off and no inbetween. It sounds brilliant at loud volumes. Try it one day when shes out the house.