Page 1 of 2
i bought a packet of ernie ball strings yesterday but only strung my guitar today. anyhow, i did my 6th and 5th strings everything was fine but then i decided ill string my 1st string. i do that then i start to tune it and it snaps so im like WTF haha. then i go ok then.. so i do my 3rd string thats fine then i do my 4th string and that fine and then my 5th string thats fine. now i start to tune them proply with the tuner and wen i start tuning my 5th string it snaps.

so wtf I don't know if they were old strings or something because i've re-strung my guitar quite a few times before and never had any problems
nope its just the way u string it u mong
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Ive never had a problem in 4 years with EB. Infact, on my squier i have a 2 year old set and they still play fine.

Could be your saddles/nut. Or you could have got a rubbish batch or something.
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
nope its just the way u string it u mong

Yeah, thats probably more the reason rather than "Bad strings". You should always stretch strings aswell, makes them hold tune quicker, from my experience atleast.
Yea i was stretching strings. But it could have possibly been overtensing. or rubbish batch.

really annoyed though, even if it was my fault.
ernie balls are just bad strings in general though
they rarely last longer
buy some D'Addario XLs
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
That happened to me when i used a tuner. I found out i was tuning in the wrong key and they were getting way to tight. After i changed the tuner's settings it works fine now.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
My tuner is fine. I Had d'Addario XLs last time and they were heaps good strings. very very annoying. I now have 4 strings
That's why I always buy at least two packs whenever I get strings, just in case... Then the ones I don't use when I replace the broken ones (when there are any, which is rarely) go into the drawer as spares
Ernie Ball strings do not suck, most likely you are palm muting to hard if they break after a while, but in this case, "you tunned them to much at a time" Ernie ball strings feel better and also sound really good, you just have to stretch them to Drop-B, then Drop-D, then Regular tuning I've tried every string company, and found Ernie Ball to be the best when used properly
thanks for all the advice. i might just stick with dean markley or d'addario next time tho :P
Quote by Xplozive
thanks for all the advice. i might just stick with dean markley or d'addario next time tho :P

okay but you wont sound and play as well , but that goes for any strings depending on their gauge no matter the brand you have to do the method I posted earlier for best results, chum
Most likely you messed up the strings. I've never has a problem with Ernie Ball strings.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
D'addario are money-grabbing wa.....ers, all of the planet waves/evans/daddario family are.

Buy rotosound.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
i hate ernie balls, super slinkys snap soooo easy.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
I've never snapped an Ernie Ball string, even with heavy whammy abuse and huge bends.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Same here. Like i said, 2 years and still counting on my squier. And i play that all the time, with harsh bends etc.

You have to look after them though, i fast fret it all the time.
Where were they breaking?

You might have a burr on your saddle and/or nut.

...Or your tuner isn't calibrated to 440.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
No-one uses ernie ball strings... (sarcasm) exept all the worlds greatest guitar players... ^^
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by FacingUsAll
Where were they breaking?

I can't believe there is a full page of replies by opinionated "experts" before someone bothered to ask this simple, intelligent question.
Quote by Vulcan
I can't believe there is a full page of replies by opinionated "experts" before someone bothered to ask this simple, intelligent question.

You get used to it around here.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
They were breaking because he sucks.

lol +1
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
seriously. I never had ernie ball strings break. they're so good for the value too. $1.50 at the GC Labor Day sale ftw!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
They were breaking because he sucks.

If they break at Bridge, you may be palm muting to hard or have sharp bits that can be causing fatigue on your string, note when playing low tunings this causes excessive vibration thus fatiguing your string over time

If they break in the middle range, you usually tune them to pitch to fast, or you are using the wrong gauge for your desired tension

Sometimes, when you buy a set you will have a string that has a defect in it, no matter the particular brand you happen to choose, or type you pick, but about 90% of the time there are sets with 100% defect free

I may have said to much
Quote by hardcoredarrell

Sometimes, when you buy a set you will have a string that has a defect in it, no matter the particular brand you happen to choose, or type you pick,

Absolutely true. I have had it happen while restringing with almost every brand. I currently use Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders (NOT cheap), and I have broken more than a few of those too while stringing up in too much of a hurry.
Quote by Vulcan
Absolutely true. I have had it happen while restringing with almost every brand. I currently use Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders (NOT cheap), and I have broken more than a few of those too while stringing up in too much of a hurry.

i don't like Ernie Ball strings very much...

i bought a pack and they were screeching whevever i moved my fingers up or down...
took them off a week or two later and replaced them with Dean Markley's Blue Steel strings...
they've played like a dream every since the minute i first tuned them...
they hold tune really well, and i don't have a Floyd Rose...
tone is amazing, check them out...
Quote by heminder
i don't like Ernie Ball strings very much...

i bought a pack and they were screeching whevever i moved my fingers up or down...
took them off a week or two later and replaced them with Dean Markley's Blue Steel strings...
they've played like a dream every since the minute i first tuned them...
they hold tune really well, and i don't have a Floyd Rose...
tone is amazing, check them out...

cough Oil lubrication is a charm they are only like that first few days
Quote by hardcoredarrell
cough Oil lubrication is a charm they are only like that first few days

i had some GHS Fast Fret on the erbie balls...
nothing yet on the Blue Steels...
not heard much about using oil...
Quote by BlackBeautyBoy
i hate ernie balls, super slinkys snap soooo easy.

Quote by mattvh93
ernie ball strings suk

Quote by im_atheist
ernie balls are just bad strings in general though
they rarely last longer
buy some D'Addario XLs

I've never had any problems at all with ernie ball regular/super slinkys and i've been using them exclusively for at least 3 years. I get a nice crisp tone from them, good tuning stability (my MIM strat has NEVER gone out of tune with EB strings on, EVER, honestly, even after tremolo abuse) and i'm completely happy with them.

actually i lie, i did try some fenders a while ago because i got them for free... the high E snapped on a guitar where its never happened before or since, and i've never snapped a string when stringing them before so its not my technique thats wrong. they all varied in tone too. The A was dull sounding, the D and B strings were bright as hell and the G and low E were somewhere between.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by hardcoredarrell

If they break at Bridge, you may be palm muting to hard or have sharp bits that can be causing fatigue on your string, note when playing low tunings this causes excessive vibration thus fatiguing your string over time

If they break in the middle range, you usually tune them to pitch to fast, or you are using the wrong gauge for your desired tension

Sometimes, when you buy a set you will have a string that has a defect in it, no matter the particular brand you happen to choose, or type you pick, but about 90% of the time there are sets with 100% defect free

I may have said to much

Exactly what I was going to say,
you can't blame it on the strings, it could be a variety of reasons.
Quote by heminder
i had some GHS Fast Fret on the erbie balls...
nothing yet on the Blue Steels...
not heard much about using oil...

well all the oil does is make your fingers glide easier, which in turn reduces the fret sound, but taht all depends on your playing style guage etc

=joeymaxx]Exactly what I was going to say,
you can't blame it on the strings, it could be a variety of reasons.

Oh. Ernie's Top light ,bottom heavy are god sent. I've never..EVA had a string break on me that was an ernie.
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
^i use them as well... they havent broken (and i pull the string of the fret board for some songs for this feedback thing i do
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
i'm gonna have to back ernie ball strings on this one. they're good strings. don't know if they're the best, but they definitely work out for me. back when i didn't know how to properly string a guitar...yeah..they broke on me several times i'll admit that, but that was my fault. i recently watched a video and searched online on how to restring a guitar and i haven't broken a string yet. i use the heavy bottom skinny top...or is it vice versa. meh. sry OP. get a warranty on those strings next time lol j/p
Schecter C-1 Elite
Mesa Dual Rectifier (2 Channel)
Mesa Traditional 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Ovation 1778LX Elite Acoustic-Electric
Page 1 of 2