Gorre
1,333 IQ
so i messed up today by untightning the pickup screws today so the pickup fell in, so i was wondering since i have the pickgaurd off and everything, whats the differnce between pickups that are in normal position, turned around, or upside down?
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
mr_hankey
also available in 3D
834 IQ
If it's a singlecoil pickup, and the polepieces are flat: nothing. If they are staggered, the volume balance between the strings will be changed a bit.
Gorre
1,333 IQ
so not even putting the pickup upside down so that the bar is facing up will change it?and the pole pieces are flat
Quote by NGD1313

TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor
1,081 IQ
I was gonna say just try it and see if anything exciting happens, but then I realised you'd need to restring everytime you take the pickgaurd off and back on I think.

I dunno about single coils but Peter Green did something like turned his neck humbucker around backwards and flipped a magnet (I think?) and so it was out of phase with the bridge pickup and gives a sweet nasal lead tone in the middle position. That was in a les paul though.
kaplac
UG Addict
615 IQ
no, they won't really change it very much. Upside down as in 180 degree turn to the left/right? or upside down like 180 degree turn down/up?

If they are flat, there isn't a big difference at all. unless you messed with the string volume balance with hte screws on a humbucker, there won't be a noticable change at all.
Gorre
1,333 IQ
upside down to me is like, since the default is with pole pieces up, the upside down to me would be with the pole pieces pointing down
Quote by NGD1313

CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,338 IQ
IF you did it to all 3 pickups it wouldn't change anything. If you only did it to 1 or 2 pickkups it could make the pickups that you flip over so that they are out of phase. Switching the leads would do exactly the same thing and it would be easier to do.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
Gorre
1,333 IQ
switching the leads?
Quote by NGD1313

Cosimo_Zaretti
Lifting your boxes
970 IQ
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I was gonna say just try it and see if anything exciting happens, but then I realised you'd need to restring everytime you take the pickgaurd off and back on I think.

I took a suggestion out of a guitar mag which is just loosening off the strings and removing the neck. (assuming bolt on neck obviously) I tried it other day when I was trying to stop my neck pup bouncing around, saved a heap of time and I got to find out the exact build date of my tele.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Gorre
1,333 IQ
i flipped all 3 pickups upside down and now in the uhm i think it is bridge position (switch is all the way towards you) it gives a sweet sustain on the 12th fret harmonic so it sounds sorta like feedback, but not as nasty
Quote by NGD1313

CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,338 IQ
Quote by Gorre
switching the leads?

Yeah. That means you wire the black wire to the switch and the white wire to the ground instead of white to switch and black to ground.

i flipped all 3 pickups upside down and now in the uhm i think it is bridge position (switch is all the way towards you) it gives a sweet sustain on the 12th fret harmonic so it sounds sorta like feedback, but not as nasty

If it wasn't doing that before, then it's going to be because you have the pickups closer to the strings, not because you flipped it up side down.
Gorre
1,333 IQ
actually, i took off the pickup cover thing the white one, and i screwed the pickup on upside down, and like the pickup si below the pickgaurd, so i dont know why its doing it
Quote by NGD1313

CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,338 IQ
Because pickups will work just as well from the bottom as they do from the top. So the bottom of the pickup is now closer to the strings than the top of the pickup was before you started changing stuff around.

There is always a chance I'm not understanding what you did so a picture could help.