Hiya,

I've done a couple of searches regarding power supplies for pedals and didn't find the answer what I was looking for. Is it possible to get an adjustable voltage power supply, and split it into 6 or so different pedals? I know you can buy a normal AC-DC power block, but those run into excess of £50 and I can't afford it and need a cheaper alternative.

Pretty much all of the pedals are Boss, so it's only 9V each. Is it just too risky or complicated?

Thanks for any replys in advance, as I have no idea about power supplies.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
Hiya,

I've done a couple of searches regarding power supplies for pedals and didn't find the answer what I was looking for. Is it possible to get an adjustable voltage power supply, and split it into 6 or so different pedals? I know you can buy a normal AC-DC power block, but those run into excess of £50 and I can't afford it and need a cheaper alternative.

Pretty much all of the pedals are Boss, so it's only 9V each. Is it just too risky or complicated?

Thanks for any replys in advance, as I have no idea about power supplies.

Define adjustable. You could go for something involving a LM317 regulator with pot to control the voltage, or you could run a few different 78xx regulators together off a common power supply to get whatever voltages you want. Option 2 is more complicated, but takes the guesswork out of what voltage you're at.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Define adjustable. You could go for something involving a LM317 regulator with pot to control the voltage, or you could run a few different 78xx regulators together off a common power supply to get whatever voltages you want. Option 2 is more complicated, but takes the guesswork out of what voltage you're at.

I have a large power supply that has a small screwdriver slot to adjust the power. I think it goes up to about 100V. I'd prefer something that I didn't have to adjust, just something I could plug in the pedals and go. Option 2 sounds more like it, but like you said it's complicated.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
^Basing my post on the thread above, there are "cheap" power supplies that the voltage can be adjusted on. Stick it to 9 volts, get daisy-chain adaptor, and you can power a multitude of pedals with it.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Yeah, I'll check that out. It's just one my dad had, nothing special at all.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
Yeah, I'll check that out. It's just one my dad had, nothing special at all.

What voltages were you looking at having? If you wanted something like 9, 12 and 18V, then it's relatively easily do-able. I can draw you up a schematic tomorrow if you want.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I just need one that can take up to about 7 Boss 9V pedals and a 9V Vox V847a wah.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
I just need one that can take up to about 7 Boss 9V pedals and a 9V Vox V847a wah.

So you don't want/need adjustable voltage? My ones good for an amp, which is PLENTY of power for those pedals (I wouldn't think all of them would consume more than 500mA). If you need any more power than that, it's simply a matter of buying a 1Spot and ditching the DIY idea.
No adjustable power is needed/wanted. I'm pretty sure it's under the 500mA too, no more power though.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
buy one spots homie. They come in different voltages, work on either polarity and can be daisy-chained. And they are really cheap and easy to work with!
Quote by Darren5591
RTH, did you manage to get a schematic?

TRH, but you got close enough

Ok, notes about this schematic:

*The bridge rectifier is a 50V 2A model. If you get one with a higher voltage, that's perfectly fine but you need it to at least be 2A.
*Power comes in from a 12VAC power supply - you can always find a few of these lurking around. I'd suggest that it's output is at least 500mA, but you can always go 1A for a bit of headroom.
*Electrolytic caps must be at least rated at 50V. The values aren't SUPER important, but try to get relatively close (especially for the smaller pair).
*The 7809 MUST be mounted on a heatsink with some heatsink compound. I used a decent sized fin-type aluminium heatsink with plenty of the compound. Some ventilation holes in the enclosure would be handy too. This little sucker can get fairly hot, especially when you're drawing a bit of current.
*This power supply is rated for 1A, but I wouldn't get too close to that if I was you. Make sure you never exceed what the input transformer is rated for. Anything above 500mA will cause the 7809 to get pretty hot.
*It all connects up to a 2.1mm jack, which is the same as what Boss-type pedals take. Make sure you get the polarity correct - center negative.

EDIT: GODAMN! I got the connections to the bridge rectifier. It should be connected like this.
Yeah I picked up one of those 6 way power bricks from maplins yesterday. For £20 it's a bargain.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!