firstly, strictly speaking, i'm not sure if this is the best place for this thread... if it's not, then i have just given Psychodelia his first warning/delete/thread move

Audioslave - Be yourself.
The chord prog is Bm - D - G - Em

This appears to be Gmajor.... although you may say it was in B phrygian if you take B as root.

SO the song is in G major, but the main riff / solo is in D major. (arguably B minor)

What we end up with here is B minor being played over a B phrygian progression.

I notice that B minor is actually B mixolydian with respect to G major.... whereby the only ACTUAL difference is the b7. the b7 is played a fair bit through the song.

This confused / intrigued me at first and i was just wondering if anybody could explain the musicianship behind it.... i think it has a really good sound, but i dont envisage Tom Morrello was being too technical when he wrote it.

Is it simply a good example of a mixolydian sound? or am i WAY off (as usual)

Thanks
Going purely from those chords, it could be G or D major, but since the solo's in D major, it's probably D major.

I don't know where you're getting B Mixolydian. In G major, B is Phrygian, like you said. In D major, B is Aeolian.

So basically, you're way off. (It's okay though.)
Quote by I floss daily
Going purely from those chords, it could be G or D major, but since the solo's in D major, it's probably D major.

I don't know where you're getting B Mixolydian. In G major, B is Phrygian, like you said. In D major, B is Aeolian.

So basically, you're way off. (It's okay though.)

aahh, so the whole thing is in D major... that makes sense actually. for some reason i thought it was G

i got B mixolydian, because i was talking about B aeolian (d major) in G major which is mixo.

cheers
Quote by z4twenny
i am TOTALLY missing how you're not just calling it Bm

yeah, it is Bm... it all started when i messed up and thought it was in G.
just the way i was playing the chords on the neck made it look like G

i am looking fwd to when this thread dissappears into the black hole of page 2+
Well, you do have the V-I with the D-G that might make it seem like the key is G, so I could see the mix-up, but when I listen to the whole thing I tend to think Bm.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out