my brother bought an old yamaha pacifica then couldnt be bothered to learn, so he gave it to me. so i thought id try messing about with it to learn how to mod guitars but not screw any of mine up. so the first two things are

1. the bridge pickup is very very close to the strings (not an action problem), does this make a difference to the sound and how could i move it lower into the body

2. the volume and tone knobs turn so easily they pretty much spin, is there any way to tighten them up
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Well to answer your first question, it's better to have your pickups closer to the strings because it's makes them sound more crisp and clean. As for the second question, I don't have the slightest clue.
for question 2, fast moving knobs are ideal for playing shows.... trust me
i have the same problem with the knobs...
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Mega-Tallica
Well to answer your first question, it's better to have your pickups closer to the strings because it's makes them sound more crisp and clean. As for the second question, I don't have the slightest clue.

I thought the closer the pickup to the strings the more sensitive the pickup is and the further away the better the tone (to an extent), from reading about adjusting the height theres normally a sweet spot to be found that's a happy medium.
If pickups are too close to the strings you get the following issues...

- strings physically hit pickups
- magnetic pull from pickup interfered with strings vibration, reducing sustain
- "wolf tones", an unwanted oscillation in the soun that occurs it the pickups are too close

2-3mm is usally a good height to be aiming for
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If the pickup is closer to the strings, you'll have more gain.
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
well this pick up is about 1mm away from the strings, when using pm it does hit the strings, so any idea how i can sink the pickup into the body?

and as for having loose controll knobs for playing live i hate it, my pinky sometimes knocks the volume, not too bad if they are tight and dont move, a very bad thing if they are lose
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
There should be two screws, one at either side of the pickup - if you loosen them the pickup will lower.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com