Ok so, Im currently accumulating around $1200 and am looking to get a second hand head off Ebay or Craigslist or something. I see the ones I like go for around my price range all the time.

I play a variation of stuff. Mainly Power Metal/Neoclassical like Symphony X and Manowar, but a lot of Behemoth, Vader, and Necrophagist type stuff as well.

I am looking at an ENGL Powerball and a Bogner Uberschall. Which will suit me better?

I plan to build a rack around it as well....you know..power conditioner, engl preamp, etc.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I have played through a powerball and I thought it was a little dry, not too much saturation.
I would say to try and find a Framus Cobra or Dragon. Those will give you the tone that you are looking for.
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Not a big Framus fan at all really.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Bogner all the way, The Engl is still good, just not as good.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Gonna have to disagree with the 2nd post there and say that the Powerballs have a TON of saturation...

altho it does take time to dial it in.

I'm not sure how well it would do the necrophagist stuff, I have a feeling the bass just wouldn't sit perfectly with that kinda sound.

Give one a go and see what you think. I like mine but I'm not playing death metal so....

Joe
^Necrophagist uses ENGL's
Quote by tarlkea
Dont think you'll get an Ubershall head for 1200. You may have to add around 1000 to that.
Quote by Teh Forest King
^Necrophagist uses ENGL's

Really? Lol maybe I just havent spent enough time going for that sound then. Clearly more versatile than I thought (which is already a lot, considering 4 channels and the fact that the clean really is clean as hell).

Joe
Almost got one for $1200 a couple months ago. Ended up needing the money for some other stuff so I didnt.
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by Teh Forest King
Almost got one for $1200 a couple months ago. Ended up needing the money for some other stuff so I didnt.

Thats would of been the deal of the century