Most of my favorite bands play in Drop A. They either use 7 string guitars or detuned 6 strings. What I'm confused about is, can't I use a pedal effect on a standard guitar and make it play a 4th lower. For example if I apply a pitch shifter effect to a guitar in drop D it becomes Drop A!

So what do I get , Standard or Detuned?
You could get a Baritone guitar.

Or you could just play the songs in a different key.

What's your price range?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
What amp do you have?

For guitars, Agile has 7 strings and Baritones around $400.

Agile Septor 7

Agile AB3500
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Don't use a pedal, it'll only sound weird and bad. I have a Schecter C-7 Blackjack that is an absolutely awesome 7-string in your price range, with an extended scale so it's optimized for detuning. I play a lot in drop A, even drop GD sometimes (although that's a nightmare to eq). So I would definately recommend it, or Schecter 7s in general.

Btw, what kind of bands play in Drop A? I know Korn does but I never really liked them, any other examples? I'd love to know, because like I said I'm a fan of that tuning aswell.
Do you live in Japan? Because I'm certain you could get a better guitar over there than from over here at the same price .
Quote by utsapp89
I don't live in Japan, I live in India but I can get almost any guitar because the shop will order it for me. Another thing is that I prefer a guitar that has good string tensions at high and low tunings, If I get a baritone I won't be able to play in Drop C anymore because it will be too high! I prefer a 6 string rather than a 7.
I wouldn't recommend anyone just starting out to learn to play drop-tuned. Get a hard-tail solid body and get good in standard tuning first, at least a few years.
Well Schecter make a baritone guitar, also in the Blackjack series so it's exactly like my 7-string but with only six strings. It's got a 26.5" scale length which is shorter than most baritones (which are usually 27" or 28"), but a little longer than a standard guitar. So the Schecter would be ideal for something in the middle, like drop C.

Btw I've listened a lot to both MUCC and Girugamesh, you have very good taste in music my friend! Cheers!