i'm not very good with guitar effects. but i love myself some good modern rock distortion. now here's my question. i have a mesa dual rectifier...would it be pointless to buy a distortion pedal (found a new digitech hot head for 30 on craigslist) when I can just go into modern high gain with my rectifier? if someone could help me understand this or give me advice towards this, it'd be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Mesa Dual Rectifier (2 Channel)
Mesa Traditional 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Ovation 1778LX Elite Acoustic-Electric
that's what i thought. i love the distortion on that thing, but i was just wondering why ppl buy seperate distortion pedals when their amps can just as easily do the job. thanks for the quick reply
Schecter C-1 Elite
dude try your amp if it is the wrong sound for you yea by all means get a pedal but from the sound of stuff u think your amp is fine so save yur 30 for summit else
Unless you want a different sound that the Boogie, which is what a pedal would do for you run though the clean channel.
Otherwise, the Boogie's distortion is pretty much as modern and heavy as they come.
I would not think you actually need a distortion pedal, but some players use it as a clean boost or for a different flavor of distortion (used alone or added to the natural distortion of the amp.) I think any guitar player should have one in their pedal chain. I don't care much for Digitech in general, I would wait to get recommendations on a better sounding pedal.
all right, thanks for the all the replies guys. ima just forget about that digitech pedal altogether. i thought i was gonna be fine with the mesa's distortion, but i just wanted to make sure. you guys seem to know what you're talking about on here . saved me 30 bucks. thanks again guys.
Schecter C-1 Elite
with the setup you got, its about as modern and high gain as you'll need. some people like to tinker with overdrive (not distortions) pedals while on the gain channel tho.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by xXKoRnfLaKeZXx
that's what i thought. i love the distortion on that thing, but i was just wondering why ppl buy seperate distortion pedals when their amps can just as easily do the job. thanks for the quick reply

Because not every amp can do every type of sound out there. I started with a blues junior, playing classic rock, and then I started to get into powermetal. Blues Junior =/= powermetal. Likewise, should your influences change, and you start to like lots of heavy crunchy midrange high gain, then you'd probably buy a distortion pedal like a CrunchBox to tide you over while saving for a new amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Because not every amp can do every type of sound out there. I started with a blues junior, playing classic rock, and then I started to get into powermetal. Blues Junior =/= powermetal. Likewise, should your influences change, and you start to like lots of heavy crunchy midrange high gain, then you'd probably buy a distortion pedal like a CrunchBox to tide you over while saving for a new amp.

CBs can do power metal?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
CBs can do power metal?

Yep. Especially with a light boost from another pedal.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

What do you use?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
CB set to 3/4 gain, and a Timmy on clean boost. I find it kills any extra buzzsaw like sounds and cleans it up well, with a decent treble cut. I've done it with my OCD too.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by uldhppi
I would not think you actually need a distortion pedal, but some players use it as a clean boost or for a different flavor of distortion (used alone or added to the natural distortion of the amp.) I think any guitar player should have one in their pedal chain. I don't care much for Digitech in general, I would wait to get recommendations on a better sounding pedal.

a distortion pedal, or an overdrive pedal? for some reason Cannibal Corpse uses boss metal zones with their rectos. and i LOVE the texture on their new album, especially infinite misery
Quote by Reincaster
CB set to 3/4 gain, and a Timmy on clean boost. I find it kills any extra buzzsaw like sounds and cleans it up well, with a decent treble cut. I've done it with my OCD too.

Awesome, I'm need of a good high gain distortion and cleans for practice, since my first SS sounds like poop.

EDIT: Rein, do you think a Tube Zone will be better for my purposes?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Sep 15, 2007,
The only sort of pedal you should be using with a Dual Recto to add gain would be a tubescreamer or the like as a boost. A distortion pedal would ruin the whole point of shelling out over a grand for a tube amp.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Kurt Russell
Your mesa will do the job. They're very versatile amps.

Recto's aren't very versatile
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio