I'll make a run for it instead thank you very much....

Most people pretty much crawl their way up the foodchain of guitar gear and accessoires until they get their dream rig. They make their fair share of mistakes along the way too. (Why the **** did I buy that spider II with that digitech death metal)

Another thing people do very often, is buying a 30 watt all tube combo just to be blown away later by the sound from a Head + Cab. The thick bottom end and "chunk" a cab gives. So they pretty much wasted a lot of money for some equipment that will be replaced in a year or two anyway. (get rid of the combo and get the halfstack)

So I basically want to determine the gear I want to end up with, and be done with buying gear to be replaced later anyway, and to prevent mistakes. I will need your input though, as a lot of the gear on my list is out of my reach to try out.

I play all variations of metal and hard rock. Consider this when making recommendations/suggestions.

I am currently thinking this would be my goal:

Schecter Hellraiser FR (black)
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Head
Mesa/Boogie 4x12 cab
BBE 362 sonic maximizer (rack)
DBX 31 band graphic EQ (rack)
Korg DTR 100 tuner (rack)
Lexicon MX200 Reverb/effects processor (rack)
Rocktron Hush noise reducer (rack)

Is there anything in this list you wouldn't recommend, or is there anything in this list you would probably replace with something else? Maybe there's something there you don't think belongs in my rig....or is something missing?

Oppinions please! Once again, I want to get my end goal in one go so I don't end up buying things which would be replaced later on anyway.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 13, 2007,
mesa boogie mark IV seems to be overall much better than the dual recto, but that's coming from other people's reviews so you'll have to check it out.
looks like you've done some research, I like it all except maybe the Hush. Good unit, but I've heard the ISP unit is better. The rack should be pretty close though. As far as the amp, not that it's **** or anything, but I would try some others too. Looks as though high gain metal is the goal, and the Recto can be tough to dial in a real tight bottom end. I like it a lot more added to a mix for aggression and that wall of sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I don't mind spending tons of hours dialing in if its needed, I actually like the trial and error process. As long as it is capable of producing clear and articulate yet tight and punchy bottom end its all good. I also figured the BBE maximizer and the graphic EQ would help me achieve that.

Since you are the second recommending a different amp...would a Mark IV do it? I've heard so much about the rectos so ive pretty much begun to worship them haha.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I don't mind spending tons of hours dialing in if its needed, I actually like the trial and error process. As long as it is capable of producing clear and articulate yet tight and punchy bottom end its all good. I also figured the BBE maximizer and the graphic EQ would help me achieve that.

Since you are the second recommending a different amp...would a Mark IV do it? I've heard so much about the rectos so ive pretty much begun to worship them haha.

Heard about, or actually played and heard them live? I'm not necessarily saying get a different amp, not if you like the Recto sound. They are great amps, don't get me wrong, but the only times I've really heard a sound I really liked, it was on a recording. I owned a dual for about 4 months, and I wasn't able to get a sound I liked in that time. Granted, that may not have been long enough, but I was able to dial in a tone I liked on the Mark IV almost straight away. As far as the sonic max and geq, I think that could definitely help, but I prefer using it as more of an "icing on the cake", rather than a necessity for the tone. Worth a shot though, make sure you can play them together somewhere first. Good thing about a Mesa too, as long as you buy used on a decent deal, you are almost guaranteed not to lose money if you wanted to sell it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Alright I guess I'll do some more research on the differences between Mark IV and Dual recto. Thanks for the feedback :p I'm glad I pretty much nailed all the other stuff ^-^
WTLTL 2011
check mark IV, and peavey 6505 if you don't need great cleans
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
also i'll add that if you aren't in the US/Canada, Mesa are very expensive for what they are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
also i'll add that if you aren't in the US/Canada, Mesa are very expensive for what they are.

I'm not in the US/Canada. I moved to the Netherlands bout 3 weeks ago. -_-
WTLTL 2011
yeah, i mean things like engl, framus, diezel, koch, cornford etc. will doubtless be better value in the EU than mesa...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i mean things like engl, framus, diezel, koch, cornford etc. will doubtless be better value in the EU than mesa...

+1

there are some great amps in the same pricerange as Mesa in the EU.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I've lived in America for most of my life, so I have no experience what so ever with european amps. (hence going for the mesa first)

I guess I'll look at those amps hahahahha...(oh this sucks)
WTLTL 2011
brunetti, there's another one. the xlr-evo's very nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You wouldn't know any dealers in europe for these amps by any chance? Or websites shipping to europe for fair prices.... Ill see if I can find info on that xlr-evo too
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Erock503
looks like you've done some research, I like it all except maybe the Hush. Good unit, but I've heard the ISP unit is better. The rack should be pretty close though. .

Same thing, just a later version and different name.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Never mind about the dealers in europe, I found those. Only koch and cornford have dealers in the Netherlands. I guess buying online and shipping is my only option if I am to have a decent selection.

A dual rectifier head used is about 2000 euro o_O. I didnt see any of the other brands used except for the ENGL powerball for 1250 euro. Oh man this sucks
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 13, 2007,
bear in mind, in th netherlands you aren't a million miles from germany etc. i think they have a couple of big guitar stores in koln/cologne. would be worth looking into.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
since you live in europe i'd suggest a diezel herbert or bogner ubershall

also instead of the hush i'd get the ISP rack decimator
Ah very nice. I've been looking for websites forever, my german isnt what it used to be -_-

I'll look into that decimator, and diezel and bogner thanks

ps. Holy ****! A carvin V3 is half the price of a Mesa single recto 50 watt. The mesa is 2000 euro, the carvin 1000 euro
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 14, 2007,
People claw their way up for a reason, and they learn as they go. If you go for the whole she-bang today, you'll probably wind up with a great set up. It just might be a great set up for somebody else.

Many people never "graduate" from a combo simply because they don't have to, and don't want to. My combo's a lot easier to get around, and handles every gig I throw at it. Why would I want some huge amp I can never get above "2" in public? Just for the pleasure of hauling a 4x12 up a flight of stairs? No thanks.

Listen, good luck to you and all. It's just that it's been my experience that there really are no shortcuts, and every piece of gear you purchase has a potential replacement out there - no matter how much research or money went into it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ using a 4x12 doesnt mean you wont be able to push the amp above two, its just a speaker box... amp heads range from a fraction of a watt to hundreds. personally i think 4 speakers sounds better too.
on topic "tone" is a very personal journey. youll be making all of your decisions alone, so going solely on the opinions of others(internet strangers at that) is quite a risk. like everyone else youll have to just go by trial and error, maybe youll get lucky.
This idea won't neccesarily work y'know..

How will you know that a Schecter through a recto stack is your ultimate tone unless you've played other amps and guitars and pedals and mixed and matched and bought and sold and traded etc.

The experience you gain from using all kinda of gear helps you a lot, it's not really a burden IMO.

Anyway.. If you're in europe definitely don't get a Mesa.. Get an ENGL or something killer. Custom Matamp maybe?

EDIT: Ah 2 people got in before me.

Yeah basically what they said.. Finding your tone isn't just an expensive shopping list, it's a long journey of trial and error. Often the weirdest combinations will be the ones you like.

Who knows, maybe a danelectro through a blues junior with a BOSS metalzone will be your ultimate metal tone.. Never gonna know until you try stuff.

+1 to Slats aswell.. No matter what gear you have there is always something in your rig that you could replace for something better.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Sep 14, 2007,
I'm not saying I'm buying this just on the oppinions of others, its more like where I will start looking. It's really hard for me to go out and try these things (I'll have to get to germany and I dont have a car). So when I hit the road to try these things, I will want to be very well informed before I go. I will never buy something without trying it, and other options recommended to me. Which is why I am now looking for recommendations. Right now, the Mesa single recto 50 watt and the Carvin V3 are most appealing to me amp wise. This doesn't mean I won't try out other options, it does mean I will focus on these when considering places to go and try out amps.

Sure, most people never go past using a combo with a few effects because they already found what they are looking for. I basically haven't. I am looking for much more "chunk" and warmth, which is why I'm researching cabs. I know that a 4x12 will provide this more than a 2x12 combo.

Basically, I'm the kind of guy that will know everything there is to know about every possible option, be it combos or cabs, effects and prices and so on before going on the road to try things. This is really important since the journey to try out things will be expensive on its own, so a second trial is not a very good option. I don't want to end up buying a $400 Peavey head, while I would have preferred a $2000 Mesa Recto. Or the other way around, going home with a $2000 Mesa, then realising I actually preferred the $400 peavey.

I also realise that people will change, and preferances will change. I just want an optimal starting position.

Sorry for any confusion....
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 14, 2007,
you could get a better guitar than a schecter
thats an example of wanting to improve even once you've got everything
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab