Page 1 of 2
they make more money
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
boutique pedals are often made by hand (a person does the wiring and soldering), they usually have higher quality components, and the bypass is often better (be it TB or a good buffered bypass). basicly the attention to detail and making sure everything is as good as possible is what makes boutique pedals better than mass produced ones.
Better quality, and they tend to be of better design and better sounding: A GCB-95 Crybaby will sound infinitely worse than a Fulltone Clyde, for example.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
And you get to tell people that you have a hand-built boutique pedal in your line. Who doesn't love to show off like that?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
1. They sound better
2. They leave more space in your pockets for stuff like picks, tic-tacs and condoms.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
1. They sound better
2. They leave more space in your pockets for stuff like picks, tic-tacs and condoms.

And you get more money back when you hit your purist stage of playing when you sell all your gear except for 1 amp and 1 guitar.
lol cheers, can you name me some decent boutique effects manufacturers, apart from zvex, fulltone and t-rex?
http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/673awsi/

http://blogs.msdn.com/steverowe/archive/2007/04/18/hearing-the-difference-between-128-and-256-kbps-audio.aspx

I believe that 1% harmonic distortion represents a distortion 200% times greater than what would be corrected by replacing every component in a standard pedal.
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
^ So... you're saying boutique pedals are a waste of money? They're not. It's not just that they've got better components- they're better built, better component values for the best tone, and with much more attention to small details. Would you rather have an Analogman Sun Face or a Dunlop Fuzz Face reissue? Cos I know where I'd go.

EDIT: Those links aren't even really comparable, though. If you had soundclips of one boutique pedal versus a mass-produced version then it'd be valid. Even just replacing components can make a huge difference. Have you ever heard a wah with a new inductor? Give this a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXlc1fV9t0U It's an Original Crybaby, first with the original inductor, then with the new inductor.

You have been called out, sir.
Last edited by cokeisbetter at Sep 13, 2007,
Quote by the_guy
lol cheers, can you name me some decent boutique effects manufacturers, apart from zvex, fulltone and t-rex?

Analogman, Keeley, HBE, Roger Mayer, RMC, Barber, Diamond, Subdecay, etc etc.
i think BYOC pedals are pretty damn boutique too. if they're built by the right person.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by cokeisbetter
Give this a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXlc1fV9t0U It's an Original Crybaby, first with the original inductor, then with the new inductor.

Great clip. Really represents the huge difference.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

In many cases boutique pedals are made by smaller companies and hand built. Basically they're meant to do one thing:
Sound good, what ever the costs.
In most cases the only draw back in boutique pedals and so on is the price. Other than that they tend to be flawless.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ So... you're saying boutique pedals are a waste of money? They're not. It's not just that they've got better components- they're better built, better component values for the best tone, and with much more attention to small details. Would you rather have an Analogman Sun Face or a Dunlop Fuzz Face reissue? Cos I know where I'd go.

EDIT: Those links aren't even really comparable, though. If you had soundclips of one boutique pedal versus a mass-produced version then it'd be valid. Even just replacing components can make a huge difference. Have you ever heard a wah with a new inductor? Give this a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXlc1fV9t0U It's an Original Crybaby, first with the original inductor, then with the new inductor.

The only thing called out, sir, is the words that you put into my mouth. Sir.

I never said boutique pedals are a waste of money. I personally WOULD buy an Analogman or keeley pedal. Just not for the components. Sir. They do a lot of upgrades beyond changing a few caps. Their workmanship is top notch. Sir.

Sure you can hear the difference in an inductor in a wah. That's an easy one. You are arguing against a strawman position that I never stated. Sir.

Settle down Beavis.
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
^ Yeah, you're not really paying for the parts, or even the work. The high prices are mostly due to the R&D, which often takes years.
Listen to this short MP3. Can you tell where the pure tone stops and where the 1% distortion starts? Or is it distortion first, pure 2nd? I'm not telling which.

http://freepatriot.com/imagewarehouse/distortion1.wav

1% harmonic distortion represents 1000 times more distortion caused by one component in a pedal and 200 times more distortion than all components.

I still lust after the Analogman TS9 though
freepatriot.com
Quote by mr_hankey
^ Yeah, you're not really paying for the parts, or even the work. The high prices are mostly due to the R&D, which often takes years.

Right, and they are owed their due for that.

Keeley's "strengthening" of pedals is probably worth the dough too. I think he calls it the Kenny Wayne Shepard treatment?
freepatriot.com
I think maybe cokeisbetter got riled up because he might have thought I was telling him he wasted money on a boutique pedal. Not at all, I'm just pointing out that 1% distortion is not much.

Or maybe he knows I think Pepsi really is better.

j/k CIB
freepatriot.com
You won't see quality like this in a Digitech pedal:

(Made by Barber, in case you're wondering).
wowwww

that's just hiwatt status

the military specs thing
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by freepatriot

I can hear, but admittedly I would be ashamed if I couldn't since I am paid as an audio engineer to be able to hear these things. But you're right at least in one aspect - if the difference is only 1% more distortion it is usually not worthing paying a crapload extra for. However whether the difference is only 1% and things like reliability (from better design and attention to detail) should also be considered.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

I could hear too, easily man, was a little "peep" after like 1/3 of the track.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Lol, I hear at least two. But then again my ears might be tired - you may right - it might only be one beep. You're right, though, that one beep isn't too hard to hear.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

The thing I'm seeing more and more are high prices for work I could have done myself. Let's talk overdrives for instance. There are tons of boutique overdrives on the market that are simple clones of the SD-1/TS circuit with a few mods and better components. I would rather do that myself. I have more confidence in the device if I build it myself anyway and I know exactly what's going into it. There's no mysterious goo covering the board and there's no hype or voodoo attached to it. It is what it is. Not knocking boutique builders, but they profit more off of hype than innovation.

EDIT - with the exception of a select few that build some really unique boxes. ZVex comes to mind.
Quote by thrice_removed
I can hear, but admittedly I would be ashamed if I couldn't since I am paid as an audio engineer to be able to hear these things. But you're right at least in one aspect - if the difference is only 1% more distortion it is usually not worthing paying a crapload extra for. However whether the difference is only 1% and things like reliability (from better design and attention to detail) should also be considered.

Yep.

Brian Duguay's work:

freepatriot.com
Quote by Hultan
I could hear too, easily man, was a little "peep" after like 1/3 of the track.

You guys have better ears than me ... but that's not saying much.
freepatriot.com
Quote by thrice_removed
Lol, I hear at least two. But then again my ears might be tired - you may right - it might only be one beep. You're right, though, that one beep isn't too hard to hear.

There is not really a beep. Half of the tone is pure and half is distorted 1%. I can't hear it. Neither can my wife. If you can hear it you are blessed.
freepatriot.com
Quote by freepatriot
Yep.

Brian Duguay's work:

I am simply in awe of the switch wiring. That is way too clean. I am impressed.

Also, not to nag, but could you avoid tripple posts in the future. Just edit when you have another thought.
depends. the difference is pretty negligible at gigging volume. one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an off the shelf tube screamer and a keeley mod at loud gigging volumes.
not to mention, a good majority of boutique builds are just rehashes of old tired used up designs.
for me, where that whole thing comes into play, is for recording where the subtleties of pedals are more distinguishable. a lot of guys who squeal about this kind of thing are 40 year old cork sniffers stuck playing in madison square bedroom.
for gigging i wouldnt even consider taking many of my more expensive or rare pedals out unless they do something really unique that's necessary for a set. for a gigging musician, id say a good 80 percent of whats on the boutique market is unnecessary.
Quote by Gabel
In many cases boutique pedals are made by smaller companies and hand built. Basically they're meant to do one thing:
Sound good, what ever the costs.
In most cases the only draw back in boutique pedals and so on is the price. Other than that they tend to be flawless.

You hit the nail right on the head.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
A couple months ago, I was talking to one of the guys who works at the guitar shop I got my schecter from. I asked him about overdrive pedals. He told me about a couple...but said the best ones were boutique.

Anyway, he broke out the AC Booster, and hooked it up. It had a nice AC 30-like sound. After some fiddling, I bought it...on sale for $140. Boy I'm glad I did!

It's compact, has true-bypass, and natural tone. I can even turn the gain all the way down and use it as a clean boost without distorting or altering the character of my cleans. It was truly worth the money.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Quote by freepatriot
Yep.

Brian Duguay's work:

Well, now they have to cost this much.

I've tried some boutique effects, they're awesome on a tube amp.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by TwoString
The thing I'm seeing more and more are high prices for work I could have done myself. Let's talk overdrives for instance. There are tons of boutique overdrives on the market that are simple clones of the SD-1/TS circuit with a few mods and better components. I would rather do that myself. I have more confidence in the device if I build it myself anyway and I know exactly what's going into it. There's no mysterious goo covering the board and there's no hype or voodoo attached to it. It is what it is. Not knocking boutique builders, but they profit more off of hype than innovation.

EDIT - with the exception of a select few that build some really unique boxes. ZVex comes to mind.

You know, I used to think so too; but I've realized that there is no way I can make a good TS-clone unless I spend months and lots of money on trying different mods and components; or if I just straight copy it from someone else, in which case I didn't actually make it anyway.

I don't know about you, but I don't think making five prototypes or more is really justified if I'm just after one pedal for myself. If you count in all the the time, effort, and money it takes, the boutique prices aren't that high.
I've never played with two different boutique overdrive pedals that sound exactly the same or are equally as sensitive as a production "counterpart" (if that is the appropriate word) regardless of the THD. My opinion on boutique pedals has always been that if you are searching for a very particular sound that you can't seem to get your hands on, then perhaps you need to pay someone $250 for it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by mr_hankey
You know, I used to think so too; but I've realized that there is no way I can make a good TS-clone unless I spend months and lots of money on trying different mods and components; or if I just straight copy it from someone else, in which case I didn't actually make it anyway.

I don't know about you, but I don't think making five prototypes or more is really justified if I'm just after one pedal for myself. If you count in all the the time, effort, and money it takes, the boutique prices aren't that high.

Understood and agreed. I'm a tweaker at heart, so any excuse for me to get under the hood is taken without a second thought. I'm actually quite pleased at the low cost of a lot of these pedals. The market seems to be going towards cheaper and cheaper items, but they are also higher quality and better sounding units as well.
I'm a real fan of boutique pedals that do something just a little differently. It's so hard to decide between overdrive's and such these days due to the market being so saturated. It just makes it all the more special when something a bit different, ala Fuzz Probe for example, comes along.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I must say that my OCD was worth it in every way, because it's just a so amazing pedal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ How does it work with Fender amps? I've heard it adds a little brightness, which I really don't need.
Page 1 of 2