So, how many of oyu actually know the fretboard, like, can be asked a not and play it without even thinking?

How important is it?

I've been really cracking down lately on what I need to learn and get better at, and I was thinking that if I could find notes without even thinking, my improv skills would improve tenfold. So I like know where notes are, and can find them, but it normally takes me 3 seconds or so, I normally have to count the half steps.

So what aboput you?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
i know alot of the notes and yes could play them just offhand. i say go for it, it does help
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I know the bottom 3 or 4 till the 12th fret. After G string everything is thrown off...idk why. After 12th fret the notes are so close together that all i know are shapes, not thinking/knowing what the hell im playing.

I know its not good but im getting there. I think its very important to know the fretboard cause u can do whatever you want from anywhere, going up down, right left.
There's nothing worst than when i miss the note and i have to slide up or down a step to hit the note in Scale.
I don't know all notes instinctively but I can quickly find them all in the fretboard.
It's one of the most usefull things you can learn.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
I found learning my scales and intervals helped. If i knew where E was, then i could find the minor 3rd easily, so then i knew two of the notes. Then add in the 4ths and 5ths. Then if could learn where all the A's were i knew all the C's aswell. Learning theory and learning to read music helps you understand the guitar a lot better, and in time it's easy to remember where all your notes are.
I don't think note names, but I guess I could play a melody starting on every note you want, or just think of something...

You must know what's going on, have the idea. Note names dont tell you much.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
If you are planning to learn any music theory, this will need you everywhere.
Enough?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by felixdcat
I don't think note names, but I guess I could play a melody starting on every note you want, or just think of something...

You must know what's going on, have the idea. Note names dont tell you much.

Liar
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.