My squire's frets are super tall and thus I need to have the action high to get rid of the buzz from other strings when I'm playing. I was thinking I could lower the fret hight by filing them down and that would let me lower my saddles so the strings are closer together..... does that sound like the way to do it? Anyone done this? The frets are so tall that when I press down a string it does not touch the wood of the neck. If I push harder then it raises the pitch of course... normal?
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
it's normal if the strings don't touch the wood. Actually, if they did, they'd slow down your playing a bit and would make bends and vibratos somewhat tougher to pull off.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Put a shim in your neck, so it tilts towards the body a bit more, or get your action adjusted and use lighter strings
ohai little sig.
Those are called jumbo frets. They're a goodthing. They make it a little easier to play fast. Filing them down won't help your action because it's determined by the height of the string above the frets, not the fretboard. If you're having a problem with buzzing, it could be that you have one fret that's too high.
maybe get some lighter gauge strings and then fix the action.

i had buzz on the 7th or 8th fret on my b string on my tele when i bought. i went ahead and changed the strings to the ones i normally use and that fixed things automatically.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
alrighty, thanks for the info!
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2