i hate my dimebucker and i think i remember reading that if you flip it around so that it says seymour duncan at the top upsidedown you get a better tone. i am going to restring ater work today and was thinking about trying it. anyone ever done it
Wouldn't it suck either way?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I'm sure people have flipped them out of the body of their guitar and into the nearest bin due to an excess of suckiness. All this about Dime flipping pickups is rubbish, it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the sound, it was just a little superstition he had. If it *did* make a difference to the sound it'd be very subtle and there's no way in hell you'd have ever heard it through all that distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'm sure people have flipped them out of the body of their guitar and into the nearest bin due to an excess of suckiness. All this about Dime flipping pickups is rubbish, it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the sound, it was just a little superstition he had. If it *did* make a difference to the sound it'd be very subtle and there's no way in hell you'd have ever heard it through all that distortion.

hehe, making my night so much less boring again mr seagull!

it does actually make a difference when the pickups are on split positions due to which coil is active then the split is on, ie, slug/adjustable coil
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
What I'd like to know out of curiosity is if it should just be flipped and not rewired...
Quote by rhcp_freak
Wouldn't it suck either way?

I don't know, How about you tell us ^_^, You seem to have a bias Idea about how they are. So you must have some experience with them.

What is up with people saying stuff sucks, but not backing up their claim on here?

Also man to answer your question I don't know, but a good way to find out is to flip it around when you restring, Test it, and see if you like it that way. that way if someone is wrong on here you know for yourself. It's not like your going to damage anything just fliping the pickup "Unless your insainly brutal to your guitar," and if you find you don't like it. Just lower the tension on the strings and reflip it back the way you like it. Just make shure you wind some extra string on your pegs just for that. Which is recomened anyways.
^ everyone here kind of has a good reason to disliek the dimebucker, its almost 100$ and it promises a good metal tone, even perhaps the tone that dimebag had. i have played it myself through an orange TT with a tube screamer, blues junior with tube screamer and metal muff, and a friend of mine's mesa mark IV and you can get MUCH better pickups for the money. honetly, i wouldnt pay 30$ for that pickup. i think this pickup is a disgrace to dimebag's name and its a shame that seymour duncan is using his death to promote sales.

EDIT:

to get back on track, since the dimebucker is a rails pickup i don tthink it will do anything. though i heard when staggered single coils are flipped there is a difference. nothing hue but its noticeable. but im not sure, i havent tried it myself nor do i plan to
Last edited by mrchow at Sep 14, 2007,
Quote by mitchp420
i hate my dimebucker and i think i remember reading that if you flip it around so that it says seymour duncan at the top upsidedown you get a better tone. i am going to restring ater work today and was thinking about trying it. anyone ever done it
I prefer to say spin, rather than flip. Flip confuses some of the kids and they actually put the pickup in with the backside facing the strings. (I just ran across that in a thread, minutes ago.)

I don't have to do it, to tell you what will happen. Nothing.

A HB that has one coil with slugs, and the other with screws, will sound a little different when you spin it. But ONLY if it's used in the bridge position. Otherwise, no. The dimebucker has rails for both polepieces. It's going to have equal volume from both coils. Spinning it in the bridge position will not change the sound, when used as a HB.

If you SPLIT it, spinning will make a difference. That changes whether the coil that remains active is closer, or farther away from the bridge. It also changes how far it is from the other pickup, when using both.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well i did it and i dont think it made a difference in hb mode but it does sound different when split. but im still gonna get rid of it for something else
Quote by steven seagull

Unless he was Eric Johnson, that is.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Well yes, but Eric Johnson can hear impedance...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ yes this is true, but like SomeoneYouKnew said, the dimebucker is two rails. The X2n-7 string is a rail and coiled humbucker. I pretty much totally agree with what SomeoneYouKnew said though.
Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence L500XL (rail type) pickup in the bridge position and for the neck position he used a specially designed Dean zebra (coil type) humbucker. It was the neck position pickup he flipped, NOT the L500XL. The Dimebucker is basically his version of the L500XL.

More importantly PICKUPS ARE NOT THE ONLY PART WHICH AFFECTS THE TONE. If you switched pickups and are not happy with the tone try switching the potentiometers as well. I switched from 250k pots up to 500k and it made a world of difference.

By the way, I tried different pickups and the Dimebuckers are BY FAR the best I have ever used. High output, great heavy crunch, crystal clear on the clean channel with no distortion... If you don't like them, your guitar probably sucks. Don't blame it on the Dimebucker if you're using a ****ty guitar!

To the douchebags who felt it necessary to help out so much by saying "wouldn't it suck either way" or similar words of wisdom: thanks! Your intelligent input is really appreciated! Helps alot! F'N DOUCHE!

my gear:
guitars-
Jackson Soloist sl3, Jackson DK2, Fender Fat Strat, Dimebag Camo V, etc...
amps-
Marshall Mode Four, Randall Warhead, etc...
1. Why would you bumb an almost 3 month dead thread for that?
2. Its their opinion that the Dimebucker sucks, so no need to take it all personally.
3. No need to call people "douchebags"
4. Was it really nessicary to post your gear? Or did you just feel like going on an ego trip?
5. Most people use 500K pots with humbuckers anyway and they come stock on 99% of guitars with humbuckers.
6. Oh the irony! Your calling other people's guitars "****" is a really great "intellegent input"

*reported for reason #3*
Quote by dieslowlivefast
Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence L500XL (rail type) pickup in the bridge position and for the neck position he used a specially designed Dean zebra (coil type) humbucker. It was the neck position pickup he flipped, NOT the L500XL. The Dimebucker is basically his version of the L500XL.

More importantly PICKUPS ARE NOT THE ONLY PART WHICH AFFECTS THE TONE. If you switched pickups and are not happy with the tone try switching the potentiometers as well. I switched from 250k pots up to 500k and it made a world of difference.

By the way, I tried different pickups and the Dimebuckers are BY FAR the best I have ever used. High output, great heavy crunch, crystal clear on the clean channel with no distortion... If you don't like them, your guitar probably sucks. Don't blame it on the Dimebucker if you're using a ****ty guitar!

To the douchebags who felt it necessary to help out so much by saying "wouldn't it suck either way" or similar words of wisdom: thanks! Your intelligent input is really appreciated! Helps alot! F'N DOUCHE!

my gear:
guitars-
Jackson Soloist sl3, Jackson DK2, Fender Fat Strat, Dimebag Camo V, etc...
amps-
Marshall Mode Four, Randall Warhead, etc...

He didnt use a Dean, he used a DiMarzio (I believe a super distortion model) on his original Dean From Hell.
oh god here we go...
...first of all the only reason I had time to waste here is that i was at work and typed the original and now this one while doing nothing at work. THIS IS ALL POINTLESS AND MEANS NOTHING IN REALITY.

1. I originally posted to defend a quality piece of gear, the Dimebucker. It is the best pickup I've ever used and I've been playing for over 10 years. I highly recommend it. This is a guitar forum is it not?
2. Nothing was taken personally.
3. I'm soooo sorry for dropping the D word. Didn't know it would hurt your feelings...
4. When comparing/contrasting gear to learn more about it and trying new things in the sake of finding the right tone it's usually a good idea to explain what you use as a basis for understanding where you are coming from!!! Believe it or not, as it may surprise you, not everybody uses the same equipment!! I apologize, you see I didn't realize this is apparently the children's section. I'll keep my gear talk between myself and other musicians from now on...
5. It's not exactly accurate to say that 99% of guitars with humbuckers have 500k pots. It is more common in newer ones but less than half of the guitars I've worked on had stock 500k's. I'm actually going to use the 1 meg's next time. We'll see how that goes.
6. Learn to cognize what you read. What I said essentially means that if you're (for example) using a squier through a practice amp (as that would be a theorhetical ****ty setup), then don't unfairly blame the pickup if it sounds like ass. I did not specifically call other people's guitars ****ty, nor did I go on an ego trip and say mine are the best. They're not. If you think I did this, perhaps you need to up your ADHD meds because you're not paying attention.

Now PLEASE watch the South Park world of warcraft episode and apply it to online forums. That's the type of person that lurks around stalking these forums, going to great lengths to make detailed avatars at every forum they come to, posting thousands of pointless threads while the authentic experiences of life outside of their mom's basement elude them.

P.S. "*reported for reason #3*" ? OMFG!11!!! does this mean you told on me? Oh no!

P.S.S. At least Eric 666 had something useful to say. I think he's right.
You're a (excuse the lack of intelligence in this insult) fucking tool. Get the hell off my internet - there's no reason to bump a VERY dead thread for no reason other than to try and defend yourself.
As it's been proved time and time again, the Dimebucker is a very horrible sounding and overpriced pickup. If you like it, fine. We don't.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
regardless of whether is flipped so the poles are opposite or together, the dimebucker is way too muddy and distorted sounding. crap if you ask me, nothing like the originall Bill Lawrence 500 Dimebag used
this is the third and FINAL post i will make on this subject. I will NOT reply further so now's your chance to come up with another worthless opinion which I will NOT read or reply to.

There are a few knowledgeable people on here but most are children with opinions. You (random hero) are a young/inexperienced/opinionated moron.

DIFFERENT PICKUPS SOUND DIFFERENT IN DIFFERENT GUITARS. Even the smallest part of your signal chain affects the tone. What sounds good in one setup sounds totally different in another.

But I digress. You lack the knowledge to back up your opinion "As it's been proved time and time again"...oh? It's been PROVED? Please show me the scientific evidence that the "Dimebucker is a very horrible sounding and overpriced pickup".

ENOUGH TIME WASTED. You and others obviously have nothing better to do than sit on your UG throne posting over 3,000 opinions to other children who have nothing better to do either. Congradulations! You are a loser.
Quote by dieslowlivefast
this is the third and FINAL post i will make on this subject. I will NOT reply further so now's your chance to come up with another worthless opinion which I will NOT read or reply to.

There are a few knowledgeable people on here but most are children with opinions. You (random hero) are a young/inexperienced/opinionated moron.

DIFFERENT PICKUPS SOUND DIFFERENT IN DIFFERENT GUITARS. Even the smallest part of your signal chain affects the tone. What sounds good in one setup sounds totally different in another.

But I digress. You lack the knowledge to back up your opinion "As it's been proved time and time again"...oh? It's been PROVED? Please show me the scientific evidence that the "Dimebucker is a very horrible sounding and overpriced pickup".

ENOUGH TIME WASTED. You and others obviously have nothing better to do than sit on your UG throne posting over 3,000 opinions to other children who have nothing better to do either. Congradulations! You are a loser.

So you are an old/experienced/opinionated moron?

lolz...teh Dimebucker bl0ze
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by dieslowlivefast

Oh, so you mean anything I type from now on in will be totally useless? How unfortunate.

Quote by dieslowlivefast

Oh right, just because I have an opinion means that I'm young and experienced. Awesome, thanks for reminding me of that fact. Wait, isn't there something about an opinion being just that - an opinion. This is what I think about the pickup, not what you think. Good try at the abuse too, it's almost making me want to cry to my mummy (because, I'm so young and all).

Quote by dieslowlivefast

Good point. I didn't remember to include that the Dimebucker sounds horrible in every guitar.

Quote by dieslowlivefast
But I digress.

Indeed you do.

Quote by dieslowlivefast
You lack the knowledge to back up your opinion "As it's been proved time and time again"...oh? It's been PROVED? Please show me the scientific evidence that the "Dimebucker is a very horrible sounding and overpriced pickup".

Let's see - a whole board full of people (minus your fine self) who think that the Dimebucker equates to being aurally raped by a screwdriver. Maybe proof was the wrong term, what about shown? How about the Dimebucker being one of the worst legacies that Dime left us - a overtly commercial product that Dime didn't even use himself? The only reason that they are still being sold is that unfortunate guitarists are being swayed by Dime's fine name.

Quote by dieslowlivefast
ENOUGH TIME WASTED.

No shit, sherlock. I'm not the one bumping a thread that was months old to defend themselves (rather poorly, I must say).

Quote by dieslowlivefast
You and others obviously have nothing better to do than sit on your UG throne posting over 3,000 opinions to other children who have nothing better to do either. Congradulations! You are a loser.

Wait, posting to help other people? I thought that was the whole point of a forum, where those who have some knowledge on a subject can benefit those who don't have the same knowledge. CongraTulations? Why thank you, I may now go sleep easily.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by dieslowlivefast
DIFFERENT PICKUPS SOUND DIFFERENT IN DIFFERENT GUITARS.

True...

But shitty pups sound terrible no matter what guitar you put them in. They might sound better in an LP custom than in a squier, but they still sound like you're feeding your signal through Dimebag's ass.

Steve told on you 'cause he's hardcore...
Ben
Quote by dieslowlivefast

hahahahahahah sigged
trash talking over the internet, haha that takes some balls...

lol anywayz, i dont know why anyone would ever buy a dimebucker in the first place to be able to try this
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial