I recently found this brand after watching Skillet perform live (they were amazing!) and I have been contemplating for a long time whether to get a bass or not. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now. Thinking about the Traben Phoenix 5Str. and a Ampeg BA112... thoughts?
i just bought an array limited 5-string (should get it tomorrow). everything i read about them seems to be good but some people here dont like the weight. the phoenix should be even better and supposedly these basses are great for their price.

of course, if you get the chance, play both the bass and the amp before you buy.
I've always said that bass isn't a blowjob, and it's not supposed to feel good. I don't have much pity when a bass is to heavy or strings are too rough for fingers. That said, Trabens seem like nice enough basses. Some of their bridge designs are a bit... much, and I don't think the 'bigger bridge, bigger tone' thing goes beyond the point of a gimmick. However, it's fresh. They sound nice enough. I am, however, not in love with Basswood bodied instruments.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Alright! I have the phoenix 5 string in blood red, and have had for probably a year or so now. And the bigger bridge for bigger tone, is somewhat true. I'd like to think that the bigger bridge gives the bass a longer sustain, as opposed to having an effect on the tone though.

And for the weight thing, I really do not understand what people are talking about. I was reluctant to purchase the phoenix in the first place because I read on multiple websites that all the metalwork on the basses made them really heavy. But alas, I just don't think this is true. When it arrived I lifted it out of its case expecting it to be of a mammoth weight, but I was fooled. I personally think that the weight ratio is well spread out, and really unless your actually a "weakling" you aren't going to be phased by it.

I highly reccomend the traben bass, and hey - if it's good enough for bootsy collins?
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Their bridges don't look that huge.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i looove the designs on them. over the top is definitely my thing

does anyone recommend pedals (dist/od) or should i just stick with the gain on the amp to do the work?

also, does guitar center stock the bass and amp i am looking for? (i live in the bahamas so... its gonna be hard to try before i buy)

thanks for all the help!
The only concern I have with Traben is that they are VERY heavy.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by ERA

does anyone recommend pedals (dist/od) or should i just stick with the gain on the amp to do the work?

Seeing as most bass amps in the non-A list celebrity price range are solid state, cranking the gain on your amp won't have quite the same effect as it would on a tube based guitar amp.

If you want a proper overdriven tone, you're better buying a proper pedal for the job, and there are plenty (more than we really need) of threads in the forum about it, do a search and you'll have plenty of info at your fingertips.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by ERA
i looove the designs on them. over the top is definitely my thing

also, does guitar center stock the bass and amp i am looking for? (i live in the bahamas so... its gonna be hard to try before i buy)

thanks for all the help!

Well, if you have a GK head, it should be fine, as they have a great stomp box that is actually just the head's overdrive. However, I owned the DigiTech Bass Driver and it was good, and I wouldn't be thefitz if I didn't recommend a Fulltone Bass Drive.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Doodleface

They really aren't.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Doodleface

Bass players complain about the weight of a bass the same way a hockey or football player complains about the weight of their shoulder pads and a bowler complains about the weight of their bowling ball. If it's too heavy, take up ukulele.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
lmao, ukulele. I love ug.

anyways, I've not actually played one, I highly doubt their bigger bridge makes much of a difference at all...but...they look so cool. That means absolutely nothing in reality but still, they are some of the coolest looking basses ever. They're what BC Rich wanna be.
the bigger bridge i think is to create longer sustain. i just got my array limited 5-string today and it is ****ING BEAUTIFUL (i had the urge to stick my dick into the phone jack but figured it would be best to devirginize it with something smaller, like a monster bass cable). as for the weight, this one is made to be a bit lighter so the phoenix will be heavier than what i just experienced, but always hearing that Trabens in general are heavy, i was very surprised at how light my array limited was. i havent had the chance to play it yet because my amp will be in next week.
Quote by thefitz
Bass players complain about the weight of a bass the same way a hockey or football player complains about the weight of their shoulder pads and a bowler complains about the weight of their bowling ball. If it's too heavy, take up ukulele.

Wouldn't mind being able to play ukelele, but all the same +1.

Quote by theWallofYAWN
i just got my array limited 5-string today and it is ****ING BEAUTIFUL (i had the urge to stick my dick into the phone jack but figured it would be best to devirginize it with something smaller, like a monster bass cable)

Yeah, you'll regret trying to get your penis in there alright, the excitment of it all would ruin the electronics.
i have a friend who has one and the neck warped about a month after he bought it/
Too cool for a signature.
Quote by chrisatgrace
i have a friend who has one and the neck warped about a month after he bought it/

Your friend must be keeping his bass(es) incorrectly then. The only way it could warp in a month was if he was just constantly leaning it against walls or whatever.
how did it warp? it might just need a truss rod adjustment to bend it back the proper way.

ive been warned about the warping when leaving it up against walls and with my acoustic i usually lay it flat on a bed and it seems to be fine after a few months. either that or i leave it in my case. ill probably buy a case next week for my bass and play it safe by putting it in there. itll probably just warp if you have pressure on it unevenly on different points rather than across the whole thing.
Did you not get a case with yours theWall?

I got a case with the traben logo emblazoned on it, but the stupid gits at customs locked the keys for it in the case, so I had to break the lock on it to get at my lovely new bass!
no, ill probably buy a hard case when i pick up my amp next week. what is the traben case like? i would need them to order it in, if its worth the wait.
Quote by theWallofYAWN
the bigger bridge i think is to create longer sustain. i just got my array limited 5-string today and it is ****ING BEAUTIFUL (i had the urge to stick my dick into the phone jack but figured it would be best to devirginize it with something smaller, like a monster bass cable). as for the weight, this one is made to be a bit lighter so the phoenix will be heavier than what i just experienced, but always hearing that Trabens in general are heavy, i was very surprised at how light my array limited was. i havent had the chance to play it yet because my amp will be in next week.

Stick your dick in the input jack? Dude, am I super-duper endowed or something?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by theWallofYAWN
no, ill probably buy a hard case when i pick up my amp next week. what is the traben case like? i would need them to order it in, if its worth the wait.

They are red and fluffy on the inside, with the usual compartments. 2 locks, one on each side. Make sure they don't put the keys on the inside.